World of Warcraft: Current Year

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Something that I know a lot of people still play that I can be social with people that Ive been playing with for years and years. The game just doesnt really excite me anymore, but its "neat" in some regards.
Exact reason I still dick around on EQ TLPs even if they're fucking awful. People are generally kind.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
As I said, the game has slowly painted itself into a design corner.

FIrstly, the time where XP was meaningful has dropped relative to the rest. Expansions last two years, and the time to cap has shrunk steadily to the point where you essentially cap in, what, 25 hours of /played. 30 if you're a filthy casual that takes AFK breaks all the time?

Once you're past that tiny, tiny little window, every single trash mob is null and void. They attack you while you run around? You're not going to stop to fight them if you can run away. It's not that it's dangerous, it's that it is a stupid USELESS delay.

I switched over to Classic, and get some of those feels now. Healing for guildies in Ulda, I feel actual progression even 2 levels later with new spells. A lot less 'oh shit' moments thanks to actual increased power with levels and no scaling BS. Plus I've been casually leveling for over a month, where I'd hit cap in Shadowlands super quick then get annoyed at all the non-exp trash mobs like you said lol.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I switched over to Classic, and get some of those feels now. Healing for guildies in Ulda, I feel actual progression even 2 levels later with new spells. A lot less 'oh shit' moments thanks to actual increased power with levels and no scaling BS. Plus I've been casually leveling for over a month, where I'd hit cap in Shadowlands super quick then get annoyed at all the non-exp trash mobs like you said lol.

Now if they could just make that feel in a game that I didn't completely clear 15 years ago.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Looks like Shadowlands sucks fat dick through a straw as if we didn't know that already. Bliz still getting paid by buttfucking people with microtransactions at the start of the xpacs while tying them in with 6 month sub hypes. The game might be the biggest piece of shit ever but their marketing team is on point.

• 2Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Looks like Shadowlands sucks fat dick through a straw as if we didn't know that already. Bliz still getting paid by buttfucking people with microtransactions at the start of the xpacs while tying them in with 6 month sub hypes. The game might be the biggest piece of shit ever but their marketing team is on point.

I skipped this one so I'm 100% spectator but it felt like this thread turned on Shadowlands much faster than it turned on BfA.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

I skipped this one so I'm 100% spectator but it felt like this thread turned on Shadowlands much faster than it turned on BfA.

I think some of that is do to the hype/hope build up that Shadowlands could/needed to save WoW. Enjoyed the leveling/story much more than most of the shitty BFA zones and the "war campaign". But it's clear they wasted too much dev time on systems.

• 2Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
It’s just a shame because legion was a solid fucking good time. It had flaws sure but BFA and Systemlands just fell flat and are shit all together. They need to stop borrower power, they need to remove a ton of bullshit tedium systems, and they need to stop invalidating everything patch to patch.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think some of that is do to the hype/hope build up that Shadowlands could/needed to save WoW. Enjoyed the leveling/story much more than most of the shitty BFA zones and the "war campaign". But it's clear they wasted too much dev time on systems.

Yea I had more fun in Shadow vanilla then BFA vanilla, however, even though legion vanilla had the most problems out of all the iterations of legion, it was still vastly superior to the shit that was put out since BFA, later BFA patches included.

Not interested in the new patch at all, will probably skip. Like Booze said, the best (only) time to play WOW now is a few months at the beginning, and a few months at the very end.

• 1Like

Cybsled

Legion sort of started the whole "Here is your alternate advancement system - now we are going to remove all that investment by the end of the expansion". I understand why they do that (they want to avoid ability bloat, mudflation, etc), but it doesn't feel good. Gear resets are virtually expected by this point, but now they basically do ability/character soft resets as well. For a persistent game, that gives you a bad experience because if feels like your character doesn't really progress. It's like those TV shows where they get some new ability or technology or power, then a subsequent season gets rid of it because they wrote themselves into a corner and want a cheap way to raise the stakes.

Like The Magicians...Julia has this multi-season arc where she gets more powerful and becomes a full blown goddess, then they do some shit where she isn't a goddess anymore because they made her too powerful and needed to nerf her to continue storylines w/o needing to otherwise explain why she couldn't instant fix the problem.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Granted this is someone doing napkin math, but if this is actually a bug and not a misunderstanding of mathematical values - then fixing it would cause them to revert some nerfs at the end of Shadowlands beta. In a way, since I hate Demon Hunters as a whole.. I would be happy to see them dropped down in value for Mythic +. But I know how many people chase after the meta and how loud the screams would be.

Vengeance Demon Hunters Taking Less Magic Damage Than Intended Due to Bug in Shadowlands

• 1Solidarity

Araxen

I know this isn't what Asmon isn't arguing about.

For me, I'm done with the Mythic LFG. They've relied on this mechanic for way too long, and it's finally have bit them in the ass. Making a Mythic0 auto-LFG is only a temp fix too. TBH, they should really moved on to WOW2, but they are too slow to make a WOW2. You see it with Overwatch. Overwatch 2 is LONG overdue, but for whatever reason they can't churn out content like over devs. You would think Activision would kick them in the ass, but somehow they get away with it.

Last edited:

Daidraco

Not surprised, but once that data concerning VDH’s came out - people are analyzing other skills/abilities to get the hard data from them instead of what the tool tip says. So now something under Pelagos is under scrutiny.

This has been the buggiest, most crash ridden expansion that I can remember. People to this day are still crashing coming into and out of Oribos.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
and they need to stop invalidating everything patch to patch.
I dont understand how that pants on head retarded core design philosophy became the bedrock for WoW. Theres just no other words other than downright retardation to describe invalidating tens of millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man hours of investment every xpac.

Good game design would have you expanding the world, not invalidating it. Look back at EQ and Kunark > SoV. Yes SoV was significantly better xpac but people still made full use of Kunark even with SoV out.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
EQ generally had a good cadence to gear resets, you had some fun stuff that was good forever but mostly an end game raid item was good for a year before you would see small raids with similar Stat and 18-24 months for group gear to catch up.

I think gear resets and making content for mythic raiders is what killed wow for most. The classic raid game was so much better than the modern one, the current end game is anti social.

• 4Like
  • 2Truth!
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Having 3-4 tiers of loot within every season is definitely very hard to maintain. They've forced themselves into gear resets by that design.

• 1Truth!

Daidraco

Adding another to the list:

- Concentration Aura reduces Death Knight Anti-Magic Shell by 30% when used inside of Paladin Concentration Aura.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf

donomito

Blackwing Lair Raider
I dont understand how that pants on head retarded core design philosophy became the bedrock for WoW. Theres just no other words other than downright retardation to describe invalidating tens of millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man hours of investment every xpac.

Good game design would have you expanding the world, not invalidating it. Look back at EQ and Kunark > SoV. Yes SoV was significantly better xpac but people still made full use of Kunark even with SoV out.

This is 100% true, I understand the new and shiny thing, but I don't see them not going all fucking ape retarded with item level increases and these just absurd gearing schemes. God these guys are terrible at their jobs.

• 1Like