World of Warcraft: Current Year

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Granted, I've still got the new car smell, but my first 45 levels in FFXIV has been a breath of fresh air compared to BFA and the design of FFXIV is firmly stuck in this weird mix of Vanilla fetching shit and legion class stories that can be a mess at times. Yet...its fun.
Same. The gameplay, and the game in general, doesn’t have that same level of polish but it’s just fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's the end of speculation in this thread. The sweat is real.

The influencers cracked Blizzard's eggs. Consequences were never the same.

• 1Worf

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The worst part of WoW is the rampant toxicity bred by the player base. Every joe nobody in a PUG thinks they are the same level as Limit or Echo or whatever.
And why do you think that is, and what would be the solution? That Blizzard should discourage players from putting "pro gamers" on a pedestal to worship? End the "esporting" of the game with world first races and MDI?

I logged in yesterday to my prot warrior to maybe level to 60 for the upcoming patch. What greeted me in LFG was a Plaguefall group past the first boss without tank and healer. When asked what happened, they said the tank instantly left after joining the dungeon, and then berated me that surely I know that the first boss is skippable.

The sheer amount of entitlement to your services as a tank, combined with the passive-aggressiveness made me appreciate the FFXIV community even more.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
And why do you think that is, and what would be the solution? That Blizzard should discourage players from putting "pro gamers" on a pedestal to worship? End the "esporting" of the game with world first races and MDI?

I logged in yesterday to my prot warrior to maybe level to 60 for the upcoming patch. What greeted me in LFG was a Plaguefall group past the first boss without tank and healer. When asked what happened, they said the tank instantly left after joining the dungeon, and then berated me that surely I know that the first boss is skippable.

The sheer amount of entitlement to your services as a tank, combined with the passive-aggressiveness made me appreciate the FFXIV community even more.

Wow culture is this:
The tank is the defacto group leader, so after the first month of the Xpac, it is generally seen as rude for a person to queue as a tank for level 60 content, if they have never been in the zone before. Everyone has a dps spec, and you are expected to queue as dps, until you at least know where you are going. Some people (wrongly) apply this to normal mode leveling.

Combine that with the general frustration over the xpac and a shrinking player base, and you are probably going to run into an abnormally high amount of douche behavior, at this point. The vast majority of people are looking to speed run through the leveling to get to what ever they want to see in the end game.

Furthermore, Plaguefall has a bad reputation with taking a long time (from what I remember), and not being noob friendly. I imagine many people just quit out and go back to questing, if they get it. The three dudebros you met probably wanted something from that zone.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Theres nothing they can do though. WoW's glacial development pace combined with being this far into an xpac means nothing game changing will be implemented theyre going to push out what theyve had planned as is. At most you get some qol fixes and them going in a different direction in the next expansion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
For Blizzard to give advertising to Endwalker means the social media metrics must be tremendously loud on FFXIV.

With regard to the exposure of FFXIV and Endwalker-- the survey could also be Activision's way of checking their internal trackers, data comparison.

This survey may have been the only way to affirm data they have. This will give Blizzard a better idea of how much social media has spread FFXIV, and if it's any significance to them.

If significant enough it just means borrowing a few features from Endwalker for the next expac. Probably cosmetics as mentioned a few pages earlier in this thread.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The tank is the defacto group leader, so after the first month of the Xpac, it is generally seen as rude for a person to queue as a tank for level 60 content, if they have never been in the zone before. Everyone has a dps spec, and you are expected to queue as dps, until you at least know where you are going. Some people (wrongly) apply this to normal mode leveling.
Here's the joke: I know the dungeons, paths and skips, and I tanked for the mouthing off warrior five minutes earlier in a Necrotic Wake. Where he nearly died to mechanics.

If significant enough it just means borrowing a few features from Endwalker for the next expac.
Yeah, because that worked so really, REALLY well with PoTD/HoH and Torghast. "Here's some side content in our game not tied to player power or story for you to enjoy" - "Let's copy that and make it mandatory to craft legendaries!"

Next FFXIV expansion is going to have an Animal Crossing island, and WoW already did something like that in MoP. Maybe they'll bring it back?

• 2Like

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah, because that worked so really, REALLY well with PoTD/HoH and Torghast. "Here's some side content in our game not tied to player power or story for you to enjoy" - "Let's copy that and make it mandatory to craft legendaries!"

Next FFXIV expansion is going to have an Animal Crossing island, and WoW already did something like that in MoP. Maybe they'll bring it back?

That's the difference between WoW and FFXIV : WoW devs will do EVERYTHING in their power to make you go through the content they created repeatedly. Meanwhile, FFXIV devs are like "Here's a new system/type of content, do it if you'd like". They make different and varied types of content targeting various types of players and they make it purely optional.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Fyff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I mean, they could ban idiots who promote hate speech in chat. Stuff like that has seemed to work in the FF14 community.

Is going to be funny in 2 months to see all the WoW refugees flee back. I love FF14 but the end game of FF14 is pretty easy and there is less to do at the end of the game unless you are an achievement hunter.

• 1Seriously?

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gotta love the same suspects spamming Trade and other channels in the city with garbage. A lot of them get praise from the community or are revered as folk figures in terms of WoW "heroes". Every major server has a band of these guys.

I don't know if a League of Legends style crackdown on hate speech and toxicity would leave Blizzard with any players at this point. They let it balloon out of control.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>

"Activision Blizzard employees face job insecurity following layoffs of 800 employees in 2019, and typically earn less than one third of one percent of the CEO's earnings, with some employees, such as junior developers, making less than $40,000 a year while living in high-cost areas such as southern California," CtW said in a filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission ahead of the original date of the vote on 11th June.

Activision Blizzard adjourned its annual shareholder meeting until Monday to address what it called "misleading" information about Kotick's pay.

• 2Worf

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

"Activision Blizzard employees face job insecurity following layoffs of 800 employees in 2019, and typically earn less than one third of one percent of the CEO's earnings, with some employees, such as junior developers, making less than $40,000 a year while living in high-cost areas such as southern California," CtW said in a filing to the US Securities and Exchange Commission ahead of the original date of the vote on 11th June.

Activision Blizzard adjourned its annual shareholder meeting until Monday to address what it called "misleading" information about Kotick's pay.
Yeah thats what happens when the board is filled with cronies. 155 million dollar pay check after one of your marquee studios an absolute dumpster fire and failing by every metric.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Omegalol 40k for junior developer? They must be getting the bottom of the barrel absolute trash devs. No wonder the patch cycle is so long, one decent dev probably has to fix the dumpster fires created by the other 50. Amazing.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Omegalol 40k for junior developer? They must be getting the bottom of the barrel absolute trash devs. No wonder the patch cycle is so long, one decent dev probably has to fix the dumpster fires created by the other 50. Amazing.
I just came here to post the same thing.

Hell, night shift CSRs for shitty IT companies start at 40k.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
You seriously get $60k+ at your basic associate/junior dev job right out of college. That's what just about everyone I knew got when I graduated. Getting less than that was almost always because you went to work at a small dev shop, startup, or the video game industry... which is notorious for paying much less than any other company that employs software engineers.

Xerge

<Donor>
Here Ashes of Creations starting kids with experience at 85k. Jesus christ no wonder actiblizz can't attract anyone.

Cybsled

Plus as they point out, that is 40k in SoCal, which probably makes it closer to 30k or less if you adjust for cost of living. They probably got away with it because "It's Blizzard!".

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Plus as they point out, that is 40k in SoCal, which probably makes it closer to 30k or less if you adjust for cost of living. They probably got away with it because "It's Blizzard!".
They do.

I once applied for a business side development job at EA. The job was to develop some stuff for their internal metrics gathering and reporting. I asked for 10% more than I was getting at the time, they got back to me with about 15% LESS than I was currently getting and that was "as high was they would go" because they "wanted people who want to work there." The recruiter told me that directly.

• 2Like