World of Warcraft: Current Year

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Fun detected. I read this article recently from the 90's about MUDs and how there is this cycle where the developers eventually turn antagonistic toward the players and will nerf everything into the ground and force everyone to play the game exactly the way they envisioned it. It was super interesting because it is literally exactly what has happened to WoW and has happened to many other MMOs. I wish I could remember it/find it. Maybe it was linked here and that's where I read it tho lol.

You can literally sum up everything wrong with modern WoW development with a screenshot of an item that was suddenly nerfed after 10 years.
Sounds like the same problem that GGG has also. Blizzard has had it at least since WoD if not before. I don’t know. I casual’d Cata and MoP.

Caeden

MC/BWL/AQ40 are raids. I was responding to you saying group finder for dungeons isn't a problem. I wasn't referring to raids. I don't know how anybody played classic WoW at launch and level'd to 60 and did dungeons and didn't make great connections/friends. You'd have to literally avoid it or be super antisocial, or already have a pre established clique that you did everything with.
Hell, I started right before TBC and I think I hit 60 just post dark portal opening. It hadn’t been open long though. I made a ton of friends beyond my buddy’s guild even running TBC heroics. I was a pretty competent tank/healer as a Paladin.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I really hate to be the guy that posts Asmon videos but this might have been funniest shit I've ever seen all week.

So many people on the wow reddit thread defending Blizzard and attacking Asmon because "he called them incompetent and out of touch! how would you feel!?"

Lol literal children.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Too many freaks out there. There's a popular Youtuber who constantly gets reported to CPS or the police or whatever because people are jealous and petty and weird. He makes good money on Youtube and people envy that so much they turn odd. Instead of self loathing maybe grab a camera and some of all that cash that's wizzing around.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Too many freaks out there. There's a popular Youtuber who constantly gets reported to CPS or the police or whatever because people are jealous and petty and weird. He makes good money on Youtube and people envy that so much they turn odd. Instead of self loathing maybe grab a camera and some of all that cash that's wizzing around.
Everyone of these faggots is a degenerate loser who shows off their pronouns only because that is literally all they are capable of accomplishing. If they could afford a camera, the only thing they would film is their assholes.

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So many people on the wow reddit thread defending Blizzard and attacking Asmon because "he called them incompetent and out of touch! how would you feel!?"

Lol literal children.

That already happened when he dropped the letter. Some people are just playing catchup now since FFXIV got streamed.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
FFXIV YouTube VOD upload at 540,000 views and it just was released today.

lol

thats in addition to the hundreds of thousands of live views on the FFXIV stream

All combined, that's over a million views from potential Blizzard customers in a 12 hour period.

no chance blizzard can survive that. even a 200k sub loss puts budget into the toilet for next expac

its finally over unless they buy Asmongold off.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Caeden

Took me a minute to look him up, but Adam Holisky used to be on a podcast I casually listened to from Massively maybe 8 years ago or so before the SJW nonsense infected all of gaming bloggers. For some reason I remember liking him back then, but I feel like Blizzard has hired a bunch of former fanboys.

Cybsled

He had some funny bits today. During the echo flashback that talks about the Ala Mihgo refugees, he kept twisting it into a WoW refugee metaphor lol

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I really tried with FF. It's just a horribly unfun MMO. I can only take so much running between NPC's and really bad cutscenes, even in the new supposedly good production value content. To top it all off the combat is probably the worst out of all the popular MMO's and I've played them all.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rime

<Donor>
'Supposedly' FF14 takes something like '40' hours to 'get good', due to their never revamping things and just adding new stuff.

I have not tried it to know, just going by what dozens of people have tried to sell me on.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FF14ers have a meme for "Pray return to the Waking Sands" for how often it sends you there and back again in the original 2.0 story quests. They were the roughest but the quest designers and narrative writers learned quickly so even the story patches preceding the first expansion were noticeably more enjoyable and raised the bar on the narrative.

But much of what they put in to 2.0 ended up as setup for the most recent expansion, so the plot points did actually go somewhere. 3.X and 5.X stories are the high points of the game so far.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Made it up to Shadowbringers, can confirm it was still boring. I don't understand the appeal at all. Even WoW in its fucked up state is far more entertaining to me.

Not knocking you if you like FF14, but it's not for me. I would love to steal the housing and crafting from it and put it into WoW however.

• 2Dislike
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
'Supposedly' FF14 takes something like '40' hours to 'get good', due to their never revamping things and just adding new stuff.

I have not tried it to know, just going by what dozens of people have tried to sell me on.

I skipped all the old stuff and went to the new expansion. While it’s certainly better it is still a bunch of eye rolling cutscenes and the combat blows.

I hate the gcd. The fact that each class has a few really long CD off gcd abilities doesn’t save it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Figured out the secret to enjoying FFXIV.

Just play it as an RPG with MMO elements, not an MMO with RPG elements.

I spent months trying to just rush thru shit in XIV. Take your time and enjoy it.

• 1Like

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Figured out the secret to enjoying FFXIV.

Just play it as an RPG with MMO elements, not an MMO with RPG elements.

I spent months trying to just rush thru shit in XIV. Take your time and enjoy it.

I think ESO is a far better game to take that approach with unless you're really into JRPG's. I am definitely not.