World of Warcraft: Current Year

Funkor

Molten Core Raider
Going to remove the NPCs based on Alex in the game. Good thing that is the focus on the wow devs and not you know making a good game.

elRLX1q.png

• 5Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 8 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Right, WoW was timed just perfectly with EQ shitting the bed and we all saw how that turned out in the long run.

I have to suspect at some point someone, somewhere, on that team as a solution to falling numbers said "hey, battlepasses work well! lets make a hidden battlepass and turn this into a seasons-style game". Then we got the stupid borrowed power daily grind-a-thon or you'll fall behind bullshit. People accepted it in Legion because it was "new" at the time, but the fact the past couple expansions past that kept doing the same thing soured everyone on it. If they are serious about righting the ship, at bare minimum they need to

1) Get rid of borrowed power shit
2) Tone down dailies or make them quick-hit things (like FF14 beast tribes)
3) Improve ability to play alts (ie, remove need to regrind rep on alts)
4) Actually have a story that respects their prior story - stop retconning every couple years, having insane mood/personality swings for characters, etc
5) Create more meaningful and varied casual content

Kinda unrelated. This is one issue I had with WOW even when it was released in 2004. I'll be the first to ride the dick of EQ's AA system despite the issues that it had. The sheer hugeness of it always gave you something to work towards and progress your character. At the time, I considered the Talent system to be like a really simplified AA system even if the talents were by and large far more impactful than AAs. Even then I knew it would cause problems.

The limitations of the talent system guaranteed that they would have had to tear up talents with expansions endlessly. Leading to class reworks being a normal part of the game as new expansions were released. Finally morphing into Borrowed Power so they could know that they would just drop it with the next expansion.

They really need to get back to the basics of WOW to get it back on track. It's just sad that its going to take years and years for them to do that. If they even can.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
Ion to seize the game in a leverage buyout.
Not if we beat him to it! Now's our chance! Amod how much money do we have? I got $20 and about 7 mozzarella sticks I can throw in the air fryer for when we make our pitch.

Edit: honestly if Ion became president that might be an improvement for wow. He'll be too busy fixing and overseeing we might get someone as lead designer who might listen to the playerbase.

• 1Like

Cybsled

I'll be the first to ride the dick of EQ's AA system despite the issues that it had. The sheer hugeness of it always gave you something to work towards and progress your character. At the time, I considered the Talent system to be like a really simplified AA system even if the talents were by and large far more impactful than AAs. Even then I knew it would cause problems.

While I liked AA abilities, I hated the means of obtaining them. It essentially forced you to grind XP forever - not just for AA, but also to get XP buffer to prevent deleveling during raids wipes. Also, at least as of PoP, there was zero catchup mechanics for AA - you would always be eternally behind.

And because grinding XP in EQ1 was like watching paint dry, I rapidly lost interest in grinding AA and fell massively behind by the time PoP rolled around.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
All the streamers/casters/tubers leaving covering WoW that I've watched cited poor systems, bad expansion,slow dev time, rotten storytelling, micro transactions and have only mentioned the sexual harassment stuff as a sort of "well if they have time to fuck around why don't they have time to make the game good".

I haven't seen anyone virute signal yet as their principle reason. (though admitidly i don't follow many, i just see them linked in threads like this and on reddit).

That's what I've seen so far as well. I get the impression that a whole bunch of people were just going through the motions but unwilling to risk their channel through rebranding. Swapping games, changing the kind of content you produce, etc. very often leads to a decline in viewership and viewership is dollars. This scandal is an opportunity to get off the sinking ship while the opportunity cost is temporarily discounted.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think it's just become fun to pile on Blizzard. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with this expac, the only issue is the absolutely fucking glacial pace of patches.
HE HAS THE SIGILS, OH SHIT!!!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I would be very surprised if Gurg would even want to step in such a role.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
HE HAS THE SIGILS, OH SHIT!!!
I mean, the WoW story has been fucking garbage the entire time.

90% of villains get a redemption arc, or were only evil because they had X artifact.

Anything that's not garbage is the exception that makes the rule.

• 2Slow
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Tinfoil hat time:
1. My main man Bobbeh is gonna announce sweeping changes to the top brass of the entire WOW team and individual departments and massive company wide structural changes to the way they make games as a whole. On WoW side Ion (he can't possibly survive this) and all the other fuckers are gone. Most if not all dev teams are gonna get new leads. Who the department leads are is gonna determine the direction and the future of the game. It's either over the cliff and into death in the lifespan of the next expansion if woke crowd take overs or it's gonna make a slow recovery if competent people are gonna be put in charge.
2. Future SL patches are delayed.
3. They announce scrapping the next exp and starting over.
4. Expected release date 2024? maybe
5. WoW will go subscription free until new expansion. Or they will do a different/reduced payment plan.
You are thinking like a normal person who wants to build a good reputation and make money long term. You need to think like a soulless corporate drone who is only worried about the next quarter.

1. Ion is from the law firm they employed as a third party to investigate the leadership. So it's either Ion's idea or he was employed in the first place to be a safe pair of hands in leadership when the lawsuit started. They may sacrifice him and a bunch of other people though.

2. Yes but they will never announce it, as it will reduce sub numbers even further.

3. No way. They would never announce they scrapped something they haven't revealed yet.

4. Assuming Shadowlands is Warlords of Draenor'ed, if 9.2 ends the expansion Q1 2022 then I think that the earliest we can expect an expansion is Q3 2023. They won't announce this until they have something to hype up, as again it will impact subs.

5. It's going to be regular price and 6 month sub mounts all the way to the next expansion.

WoW died, it's moving into the equivalent of those late Everquest expansions nobody played. It's just about milking the trapped sunk cost fallacy players of as much cash as possible now, do they have cash shop transmog yet? Expect even more cash shop transmog outfits, pets and mounts.

There won't be a WoW 2, they saw the sub numbers for Everquest/Everquest2, Lineage/Lineage2, FF11/FF14 - the subs just move over to the new game and now you got two sets of servers and patch teams to maintain.

Diablo 2 will have it's sales damaged by all this and stop the remasters, Diablo 4 probably won't be good anyway and Overwatch 2 will bomb stopping the PC ganes. The IPs will go over to cheap microtransaction filled mobile games made in China and Blizzard HQ will close.

Blizzard got terminal cancer, now we get to see it slowly die and the corpse twitch.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Malkav

French Madman
Oof.

“An employee brought these 2013 events to our attention in June 2020,” a spokesperson for Activision Blizzard told Kotaku when asked about the “Cosby Suite” images and allegations against Afrasiabi. “We immediately conducted our own investigation and took corrective action. At the time of the report, we had already conducted a separate investigation of Alex Afrasiabi and terminated him for his misconduct in his treatment of other employees.

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
  • 2WTF
Reactions: 9 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 364393

Whats the connection with Cosby back then? Cosby's legal issues didnt start until 2015. I dont recall any Cosby rapist/drugging memes before that.
No, they started long before that. He was investigated in 2005. That's why there was the 2005-2006 deposition. That's also why he was able to get off, because statements made during that investigation were used against him, despite the prosecutor at the time saying he would be exempt from prosecution.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
No, they started long before that. He was investigated in 2005. That's why there was the 2005-2006 deposition. That's also why he was able to get off, because statements made during that investigation were used against him, despite the prosecutor at the time saying he would be exempt from prosecution.
I understand that but Cosby was still a well liked even after 2005. He was still doing all sorts of interviews and talks in the mainstream media.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 364393

Whats the connection with Cosby back then? Cosby's legal issues didnt start until 2015. I dont recall any Cosby rapist/drugging memes before that.

It didn't blow up until 2014 when Hannibal Burres got uppity in his stand-up and talked about Cosby rapin women because Cosby made some crack about how the young comics dress.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
What the fuck I was 100% convinced that Cosby Suite shit was made up by the lawyers writing the lawsuit.

• 4Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 7 users

Bizazedo

Lord Nagafen Raider
I understand that but Cosby was still a well liked even after 2005. He was still doing all sorts of interviews and talks in the mainstream media.
He was, yes, but people still knew about the sexual assault allegations. That's what led to the joke by Hannibal Burress a year after that picture was taken.