World of Warcraft: Current Year

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
The psychology of MMO players is ridiculous. You can't just be bored of a game and move onto something else; you have to linger around and try to convince everyone else that you made the only correct decision by leaving.

It's not someone else they're trying to convince, it's themselves. A lot of haters are ex-players who hate how they wasted so much time on something they've come to hate, and so they think by being extra hateful on it it's somehow going to compensate for the time and energy they wasted on it.

In a way the obsession just keeps going, it's just all negative instead of so-so or positive during actual playing.

Similar to ex-smokers going on a crusade to make everyone around them quit smoking.

I'm still playing WoW and I can definitely see how it's not what it used to be and not in a good way, hell I even got extra-fucked by Blizzard last year because they suspended my main account despite my being innocent (got hacked and one of my toons was used to advertise RMT). I'm still mad at the stupid ass customer service (though it's a skeleton crew since the mass firings a few years back) and the devs are mostly stupid these days, but I still enjoy the artstyle and the overall world so I keep playing. I can see the writing on the wall though, and when I quit I won't hate the time I spent playing, if I had fun at all it was worth it.

However, I also see a lot of valid points in this thread on how Blizzard dun goofed and it's satisfying to see their fuckups catch up to them. If it weeds out the stupid ass parts of the game with the devs being fired or leaving, good. If the game dies, eh, it had a good run.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm still playing WoW and I can definitely see how it's not what it used to be and not in a good way, hell I even got extra-fucked by Blizzard last year because they suspended my main account despite my being innocent (got hacked and one of my toons was used to advertise RMT). I'm still mad at the stupid ass customer service (though it's a skeleton crew since the mass firings a few years back) and the devs are mostly stupid these days, but I still enjoy the artstyle and the overall world so I keep playing. I can see the writing on the wall though, and when I quit I won't hate the time I spent playing, if I had fun at all it was worth it.
This is the kind of thing battered wives post.

Do we need refuges for battered gamers where they can try some new games out?

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for reinforcing my point that most of the people complaining about WoW don't even play WoW
Bro, I literally played until last month, but checked out because 9.1 didn't seem interesting at all, and just another clusterfuck of systems on top of the old systems that didn't work out.

But thanks for the psychoanalsys, Dr. Freud.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
A lot of haters are ex-players who hate how they wasted so much time on something they've come to hate,
Unlike you, I have a limit on how much shit I can tolerate: I leveled at Shadowlands launch, quit, was asked by friends to play again with them, and came back. But once 9.1 dropped they almost instantly quit. Now I can either PUG shit, or quit.

If I hated myself I would continue to play WoW and be one of those toxic fucks that frequent the PUG scene in WoW. Those guys are the worst, because they play a game they have come to hate out of habit. And that is way worse than those "ex-player haters", because they make everyone else around them miserable.

Guess what I did:

1628953381204.png

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Oh I'm not claiming any sort of moral high ground, I've been clear on my view of playing the game, I do it out of habit and sunken cost fallacy, I spend significant hours of my evenings watching youtube stuff so I figure I might as well play a game during that, but unlike the toxic clusterfucks you mention as an example in group or competetitive content, I play solo 99% of the time. WoW has been a solo game with other players as annoying NPCs for years and years for me. I read on forums about how super toxic the community is in pugs but I literally haven't done a dungeon with other people since like.. Cata? I just do the stuff on my own when I outgear it massively. The only exception is the forced dungeons for the campaigns but it's like a gloryhole run where I'm in and out in 5 minutes and no one talks about it.

As for trying other games out, some years ago I was half-tempted by reading cool stuff on LOTRO (because I love that universe) but I'm not looking to play -any- other MMOs after my time in WoW ends, it takes too much time and energy and I just don't want to do it again and again starting over every time.

I played EQ, WoW/City of Heroes, tried out The Old Republic but that faded quickly, barely tried EQ2, and that's enough for me.

Last edited:

Chris

Potato del Grande
Oh I'm not claiming any sort of moral high ground, I've been clear on my view of playing the game, I do it out of habit and sunken cost fallacy, I spend significant hours of my evenings watching youtube stuff so I figure I might as well play a game during that, but I play solo 99% of the time, WoW has been a solo game with other players as annoying NPCs for years and years for me. I read on forums about how super toxic the community is in pugs but I literally haven't done a dungeon with other people since like.. Cata? I just do the stuff on my own when I outgear it massively. The only exception is the forced dungeons for the campaigns but it's like a gloryhole run where I'm in and out in 5 minutes and no one talks about it.

As for trying other games out, some years ago I was half-tempted by reading cool stuff on LOTRO (because I love that universe) but I'm not looking to play -any- other MMOs after my time in WoW ends, it takes too much time and energy and I just don't want to do it again and again starting over every time.

I played EQ, WoW/City of Heroes, tried out The Old Republic but that faded quickly, barely tried EQ2, and that's enough for me.
I'm confused about why you would play WoW and be subbed to it 24/7 if you don't group to the point of not doing dungeons.

Sounds like FF14 would be all upside for you as the negative people say about it is too much single player content.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I'm confused about why you would play WoW and be subbed to it 24/7 if you don't group to the point of not doing dungeons.

Sounds like FF14 would be all upside for you as the negative people say about it is too much single player content.

I moved from EQ onto WoW because I was a fan of the Warcraft universe (played WC2/WC3/TFT a lot, but never multiplayer). At first I was into the whole social/guild thing because coming from EQ that was really the only way I knew to play these kinda games, but the drama inherent to guilds and being forced to do stuff by peer pressure bothered me eventually so when my guild decided to move to another more-populated realm I stayed behind and was much happier for it. Over time they made the game much more solo-friendly (it was already very solo friendly to begin with of course) and added a lot of collectibles (pets/toys/mounts/achievements) that are mostly up my alley as an OCD borderline hoarder. For the better part of the last decade, my sole reason to play the game is to collect stuff, so I farmed old content until I got everything for every class, all the quests, all the rare drops, etc... then I move onto other content and do the same thing. I have my limits because there's some content I won't touch with a ten foot pole (PvP mostly) but for the raids or dungeons I just wait an expansion or two and mow down everything on my own.

Like I said, I play it as a solo game, I know it wasn't really intended but it has the side effect that I give zero fucks if this or that class is nerfed compared to other players or if I can't do this content before that other guild. I just watch the people pass by while I collect my stuffs.

I'm a firm believer that you should do what you want to do if it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone, so that's what I do in my gaming too. When the content is all finished and nothing else seems to come down the pipe, or the game is shut down, or I finally get tired of it for good (I tend to play a lot less during the post-expansion lulls), I'll stop playing.

I never had any interest in Final Fantasy XIV (I never played any FF games actually, shame on me I guess) but I've heard some great stuff lately as the mass exodus began. But I'm standing firmly by my decision to not let myself get dragged into another MMORPG, it takes just too much time and I know I'd be overwhelmed by all the stuff I'd feel I need to collect, so I won't give it a shot. It's not like I have time for it anyway. When my WoW time comes to an end, I'll just have more time to play console games.

Food for thought but I've wondered for a long time now if the day Blizzard decides (or is forced to) shut down WoW servers forever, if they should try and make a buck by selling to people a copy of the entire WoW world redesigned for single player content (or with npc groups) and let you keep your characters/items/collections in a single player instance of the entire world so people can keep "their" Azeroth even if the company won't support it anymore. I wonder if it would be a popular idea.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You take the item back to your Forge of Bonds, activate the spec you want to upgrade conduits from, and use the item.

The item is only usable within the Forge of Bonds interface, so they want you to have the right spec selected before you use the item.

Be curious to know if they could tie it to loot spec, it would be a bit easier if the QoL on that was just universal across everything.

Obviously I get that the item is only usable within the Forge of Bonds interface, but I'm sure plenty will point out that's just another reason why so many are against so many of these systems that require their own interface and own set of QoL rules within them. There's still a valid point to make about this Mist without it just being blind "WoW sUx" hate.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's just a change from the item giving you a random conduit to a random conduit for your current spec. The reason it isn't based on your loot spec is because using the item does not give you an item for you current spec, like say a (Korthian Armament gives you a random item for your current spec) it adds the conduit directly to your character.

You can still farm the item as whatever spec you want. It's not a thing worth debating, it's a pure QoL upgrade.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I think what they're trying to get through is that when you're going to make it so conduit upgrades are spec-based, you should take the time to do it properly and make it work like every single other instance where stuff is spec-based, instead of requiring a full spec-change and then using said upgrade. Even a simple extra click and having to wait for a bar to fill before using something that should have worked better since its implementation is going to aggravate people and draw criticism, and rightfully so.

I'm sure it's on the list of fixes but the priority is probably to remove /fart after some blue hair twatters complain about fart rape (that was a thing, remember? XD )

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's just a change from the item giving you a random conduit to a random conduit for your current spec. The reason it isn't based on your loot spec is because using the item does not give you an item for you current spec, like say a (Korthian Armament gives you a random item for your current spec) it adds the conduit directly to your character.

You can still farm the item as whatever spec you want. It's not a thing worth debating, it's a pure QoL upgrade.

Hey it's better than it was before, clearly, and I did the random conduit upgrade thing in 9.0 and it was always SO great when I got Survival conduits on my hunter...so I get that. I'm just saying it's fair to ask if that was a QoL upgrade that could have been in at SL launch, and wonder why since it is a system that has its own interface why it couldn't be tied to loot spec (potentially).

Chris

Potato del Grande
I moved from EQ onto WoW because I was a fan of the Warcraft universe (played WC2/WC3/TFT a lot, but never multiplayer). At first I was into the whole social/guild thing because coming from EQ that was really the only way I knew to play these kinda games, but the drama inherent to guilds and being forced to do stuff by peer pressure bothered me eventually so when my guild decided to move to another more-populated realm I stayed behind and was much happier for it. Over time they made the game much more solo-friendly (it was already very solo friendly to begin with of course) and added a lot of collectibles (pets/toys/mounts/achievements) that are mostly up my alley as an OCD borderline hoarder. For the better part of the last decade, my sole reason to play the game is to collect stuff, so I farmed old content until I got everything for every class, all the quests, all the rare drops, etc... then I move onto other content and do the same thing. I have my limits because there's some content I won't touch with a ten foot pole (PvP mostly) but for the raids or dungeons I just wait an expansion or two and mow down everything on my own.

Like I said, I play it as a solo game, I know it wasn't really intended but it has the side effect that I give zero fucks if this or that class is nerfed compared to other players or if I can't do this content before that other guild. I just watch the people pass by while I collect my stuffs.

I'm a firm believer that you should do what you want to do if it makes you happy and isn't hurting anyone, so that's what I do in my gaming too. When the content is all finished and nothing else seems to come down the pipe, or the game is shut down, or I finally get tired of it for good (I tend to play a lot less during the post-expansion lulls), I'll stop playing.

I never had any interest in Final Fantasy XIV (I never played any FF games actually, shame on me I guess) but I've heard some great stuff lately as the mass exodus began. But I'm standing firmly by my decision to not let myself get dragged into another MMORPG, it takes just too much time and I know I'd be overwhelmed by all the stuff I'd feel I need to collect, so I won't give it a shot. It's not like I have time for it anyway. When my WoW time comes to an end, I'll just have more time to play console games.

Food for thought but I've wondered for a long time now if the day Blizzard decides (or is forced to) shut down WoW servers forever, if they should try and make a buck by selling to people a copy of the entire WoW world redesigned for single player content (or with npc groups) and let you keep your characters/items/collections in a single player instance of the entire world so people can keep "their" Azeroth even if the company won't support it anymore. I wonder if it would be a popular idea.
I'm sorry to say this because you were nice enough to be polite to me and explain it, but you need help.

You are collecting stuff you can't possibly be using and nobody is going to see.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Oh I'm not claiming any sort of moral high ground, I've been clear on my view of playing the game, I do it out of habit and sunken cost fallacy, I spend significant hours of my evenings watching youtube stuff so I figure I might as well play a game during that, but unlike the toxic clusterfucks you mention as an example in group or competetitive content, I play solo 99% of the time. WoW has been a solo game with other players as annoying NPCs for years and years for me. I read on forums about how super toxic the community is in pugs but I literally haven't done a dungeon with other people since like.. Cata? I just do the stuff on my own when I outgear it massively. The only exception is the forced dungeons for the campaigns but it's like a gloryhole run where I'm in and out in 5 minutes and no one talks about it.

you enjoy solo experience sounds like TESO is for you. the solo quest experience in TESO is the best available. If you truly want to mostly play by yourself and just explore the persistent world and quest, TESO is unrivaled.

you can avoid the FF14 aesthetic and get a high quality solo play in TESO story wise. it'd be a no brainer, especially since you were open to LOTRO.

For you, it's TESO.

Last edited:

Torrid

Molten Core Raider
I quit WoW in early Cataclysm to play a classic EQ emulated server which I found to be much more enjoyable. I still logged into WoW every couple of years to fix addons, and every time I did I was kind of shocked at how much worse the game got. How anybody can continue playing retail WoW is beyond me. Retail WoW is only useful to me in that I want my favorite cam girl to be happy because she plays it, otherwise the sooner it burns down the better for the genre.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I'm sorry to say this because you were nice enough to be polite to me and explain it, but you need help.

You are collecting stuff you can't possibly be using and nobody is going to see.

I'm acutely aware of my various mental issues but I appreciate the polite response. ;)

This sums up nicely my feelings when I'm still playing the game and see what's happening to Blizzard lately :

• 1Worf

Chris

Potato del Grande
I'm acutely aware of my various mental issues but I appreciate the polite response. ;)
Honestly I think FF14 would be a lot better for you. You can show off an awesome player or guild house, level all the classes, different transmog for each class, mounts etc like WoW has...

Do what you are doing but with a little bit more point to it.

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Honestly I think FF14 would be a lot better for you. You can show off an awesome player or guild house, level all the classes, different transmog for each class, mounts etc like WoW has...

Do what you are doing but with a little bit more point to it.

So I've heard, though I've watched Asmongold play it a little and I must say I don't find the graphics very appealing. I mean it doesn't look bad but the style is very different to what I'm used to, it didn't really grab my attention. But really the main reason why I'll never play it is because I don't want to get sucked into another time-consuming game again.

It probably makes little sense to someone with a different worldview, but I'm playing WoW because I feel I'm almost finished with it.. have you ever seen speedrunners play a game? They play it 24/7 for months or years and when they achieve world record they are happy for the recognition but mostly because they never have to touch that game again? I'm kinda there. Every little thing I collect is one less thing to get, one step closer to feeling I'm done with it. I know I could just unplug it and be "done" without bothering, but I still find a measure of enjoyment to it so I continue.

Xerge

<Donor>
So I've heard, though I've watched Asmongold play it a little and I must say I don't find the graphics very appealing. I mean it doesn't look bad but the style is very different to what I'm used to, it didn't really grab my attention. But really the main reason why I'll never play it is because I don't want to get sucked into another time-consuming game again.

It probably makes little sense to someone with a different worldview, but I'm playing WoW because I feel I'm almost finished with it.. have you ever seen speedrunners play a game? They play it 24/7 for months or years and when they achieve world record they are happy for the recognition but mostly because they never have to touch that game again? I'm kinda there. Every little thing I collect is one less thing to get, one step closer to feeling I'm done with it. I know I could just unplug it and be "done" without bothering, but I still find a measure of enjoyment to it so I continue.
Yo please check out the elderscrolls online, it's already been suggested. it's practically made for players such as yourself.

I play FF14, ESO, and played WoW until BfA. I can already tell FF14 is not for you, even though several fanbois are suggesting so... just don't, it's not your jam.

• 1Solidarity

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
I didn't realize ESO was still a thing.

I appreciate the kind recommendations, but as I said multiple times I'm not looking for a MMO replacement for WoW, I'm perfectly content sinking with the ship while I play the violin. All the while cheering for the iceberg.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Which also jives with "I'm not looking for a replacement MMO".

TESO is different from other MMOs in that it has a rich single player RPG experience. It's not a replacement MMO for WoW, in any sense. TESO is unique in the space in terms of story and questing.