Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
meme.png

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
There is a structural problem with the game invalidating old content and with it's development processes in not being able to fix it.

They need a weekly timewalking rotation which is 1 raid from past expansions and a handful of dungeons on that raid's theme.

Start with something from Cataclysm (keep first two expansions for Classic), scaled to lv60 with meaningful item level loot. Have Mythic versions and some sort of leaderboard with a title/cosmetic/mount, for being in the first few % to clear them or being the fastest or whatever. How about a best in slot ring/necklace/trinket for doing all the the time walking raids from one expansion which would take a month to get through?

All the assets are there, you are literally just doing the Math to scale the enemies and loot. That's "fresh" content for 5 months just by tweaking numbers. If Demon Hunters break a Cataclysm fight, let them break it and have fun, fix it for when it rotates back around in half a year.

We know that they can't do even this with their staff and procedures. This is also why FF14 is beating them because they have a totally functional timewalking system.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
So he wants ffxiv ultimate raids? Seems the boi is cheating on wow!
My guess is that he heard about Ultimates in FFXIV. I guess nobody explained to him that they are multiple tightly tuned bosses back to back, and that it takes around 15 minutes in total. Wipe once and you start again at the beginning.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
And it only took a lawsuit, massive player dip, and top players leaving to get there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Start with something from Cataclysm (keep first two expansions for Classic), scaled to lv60 with meaningful item level loot.
You stumbled over the root of problem without realizing it, and I believe it's similar to my "interesting times" theory:

The old game developers at Blizzard have been replaced by fresh out of college kids, easily swayed by the Blizzard reputation to work for little money. But they are hungry to make a career and a reputation for themselves. They want to be the next rock stars. So they have all those "great" ideas for the game and want to implement them.

They don't want to readjust the loot, especially the items those boomer developers created a decade ago, which aren't even at the company anymore. Since then the overall gearing, stats and item strategy has changed multiple times, so you would have to "reinvent" all those items to make them meaningful and not break things.

And even if the old developers were still around, they wouldn't want to touch those old items, either. Because players have fond memories about them, especially those old school set bonuses and tier sets. Those changed the way how classes played, and that doesn't fit the borrowed power system of the month.

This is not "an easy win", but if they invested time and resources into it, then it would show a lot of goodwill to the players. It would also be the first time in a long time that they would acknowledge in some way that they remember the roots of the franchise--even if that is what the fans crave. And that would be a really hard and sour pill to swallow for them.

EDIT: missing words, I am tired

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
"In terms of the day-to-day player experience, the advantages of a rigid division between Covenants have diminished since Shadowlands launched, while the downsides (feeling disadvantaged in certain types of content, or having to choose between mechanical advantages and aesthetics) have only grown"
I can already tell from the statement they are still high on their own kool-aid.

What would the "the advantages of a rigid division between Covenants" exactly be? That you could split your players into 4 segments, so they can have the illusion of "meaningful choice"? To have four sides of the story, so players would have to level 4 characters to experience it all?

Also the "the downsides (feeling disadvantaged in certain types of content, or having to choose between mechanical advantages and aesthetics)" were all brought up during beta, and they promised AGAIN that they would balance covenants. That hasn't worked out for how many expansions now?

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Again, we've been here before. Ulduar is still the best raid. It had a separate, hidden boss, Algalon, and 5 progressive difficulties for the main boss (the different achievements, 3 lights in the darkness, 2, 1, Alone in the Darkness.)

I totally understand cutting edge players who feel like, once they've killed the final Mythic boss, often in the first few weeks for the top guilds, they have nothing to do for the rest of the season aside from selling CE to whales or parsing higher on the last boss.

There should always be some extra challenge to work towards, something that is literally unbeatable the first 8 or so weeks of the tier.

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm wondering if maybe Ion is no longer the lead dev? That blue post basically says 'Ion was wrong about everything'.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm wondering if maybe Ion is no longer the lead dev? That blue post basically says 'Ion was wrong about everything'.
The funny thing is that Ion anticipated all of these problems, wrote about them even, and then went ahead with the original implementations anyway.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
There should always be some extra challenge to work towards
Hot take: Warforging/Titanforging was something to work towards, even in its pure RNG form.

Now that you are all angry, I have your attention, and the bad joke is out of the way, let me explain a bit: The problem with WoW is it's underlying long-term gearing strategy. As in: there is none.

You don't have to invest time to make your character better in preparation for the next raid tier, as the next tier makes all your gear irrelevant overnight. So you just bang your head against the current raid tier as hard as possible. This is how the world first race looks from the outside.

This is all made worse by the fact that WoW relies on dps/gear checks to increase the difficulty.

• 2Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
We theorized not long ago that Cory Stockton/Mumper was going to be the next game lead for WoW after he changed his role in his Twitter bio, but after "the lawsuit" he's has been put on leave.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is all made worse by the fact that WoW relies on dps/gear checks to increase the difficulty.
It really doesn't, actually. One could even say that it doesn't rely on gear checks enough.

All of the content is beatable week 1 or week 2 without all the catchup gear, extra renown levels, corruption resistance, or whatever other soft barriers exist.

Vanilla WoW on the other hand actually had gear checks. Some bosses were just not fucking beatable with the gear you entered the tier with.

I also agree in that WF was not nearly as bad as the playerbase said it was. TF was a little god damn stupid though when you randomly got an item 55 ilvls higher, with a socket and leech, for no god damn reason.

But in general, I'm totally up for a little more random variance in loot. It makes the content a little more interesting when you're speed clearing it 8+ weeks into the season.

• 1Moron

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
It really doesn't, actually. One could even say that it doesn't rely on gear checks enough.

All of the content is beatable week 1 or week 2 without all the catchup gear, extra renown levels, corruption resistance, or whatever other soft barriers exist.
Haven't you paid attention to the world first races recently? When the guilds looked for simps fans to funnel them gear, when raiders were benched because they couldn't get enough domination sockets (and the matching gems) for it?

Sure the content is beatable week 1 or 2, but only if you have sponsors and get hundreds of million in WoW gold for BoE epics, raw materials, and the character transfers to ship them around.

I am not kidding:

• 1Worf
  • 1WTF

Juvarisx

Florida
A few other things announced that should have been done earlier

Also

• 1Like