World of Warcraft: Current Year

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Haven't you paid attention to the world first races recently? When the guilds looked for simps fans to funnel them gear, when raiders were benched because they couldn't get enough domination sockets (and the matching gems) for it?

Sure the content is beatable week 1 or 2, but only if you have sponsors and get hundreds of million in WoW gold for BoE epics, raw materials, and the character transfers to ship them around.

I am not kidding:
The world-first raiders do this to get every possible edge in the first week, but by the 4th week of a tier, even entry-level mythic guilds that can only kill the first 1-3 bosses will have better gear than the world-first raiders back did in week 1, even with spending all that gold. Most of the BOEs are actually garbage gear.

Yet these guilds, with their much better gear, are still not clearing the raid until near the end of the season. So it is not actually a gear check.

• 2Moron
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1630095556379.png

The apology hit. Numbers must have nose-dived to move the ripcord from 9.2 to 9.1.5

Due to the 2 separate apologies in the post, I doubt Ion is handling this one.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Malkav

French Madman
View attachment 369458

The apology hit. Numbers must have nose-dived to move the ripcord from 9.2 to 9.1.5

Due to the 2 separate apologies in the post, I doubt Ion is handling this one.

They still hide behind their lol-worthy lore reasons for Covenant swapping though. "But it made sense at the time" my ass.

• 1Solidarity

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
They still hide behind their lol-worthy lore reasons for Covenant swapping though. "But it made sense at the time" my ass.

To be fair, I can understand the lore reasoning behind putting some retrictions on how easy it would be to swap covenants early in the expansion because at the time the coveannts were clearly not on friendly terms for the most part (for instance the venthyr having to sneak into Bastion or else they'll be hunted down during the campaign).. However when they planned for the covenants to come together and unite against the Maw and the Jailer in 9.1, there was zero reason left to keep the restrictions or annoying limitations about covenant swapping. At the very least finishing the Korthia campaign should have unlocked that feature.

Glad they're doing it now but it is probably too little too late, this expansion is probably going to be scrapped and wrapped up quick in 9.2 but they should take their time to make a proper jaw-dropping 10.0 or else it'll be the end of the line for good.

Chris

Potato del Grande
To be fair, I can understand the lore reasoning behind putting some retrictions on how easy it would be to swap covenants early in the expansion because at the time the coveannts were clearly not on friendly terms for the most part (for instance the venthyr having to sneak into Bastion or else they'll be hunted down during the campaign).
But they wrote it that way, they didn't have to, it didn't lead to anything having them dislike each other.

You should have been able to increase renown for any of the four and swap ability/soul bind to any you had unlocked in Oribos whenever you liked.

That's a huge amount of extra content if players can do all four storylines.

There was literally NO gameplay reason for it to be locked.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
The world-first raiders do this to get every possible edge in the first week
Yet these guilds, with their much better gear, are still not clearing the raid until near the end of the season
When putting these sentences together, you should realize that it's not a binary either/or. Some bosses are more on the dance part, and some bosses are leaning more on dps/gear checks. FFXIV Ultimates, on the other hand, all go several notches into dance/skill checks.

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
But they wrote it that way, they didn't have to, it didn't lead to anything having them dislike each other.

You should have been able to increase renown for any of the four and swap ability/soul bind to any you had unlocked in Oribos whenever you liked.

That's a huge amount of extra content if players can do all four storylines.

There was literally NO gameplay reason for it to be locked.

I agree it wasn't a good idea to begin with, and I understand most people care more about gameplay than story, but when they try (emphasis on TRY) to tell a story, I don't mind if the gameplay reflects that a little including having some limitations as long as they make sense.. but when the story changes (in this case the covenants reuniting), the gameplay should change to follow that and improve QoL.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The world-first raiders do this to get every possible edge in the first week, but by the 4th week of a tier, even entry-level mythic guilds that can only kill the first 1-3 bosses will have better gear than the world-first raiders back did in week 1, even with spending all that gold. Most of the BOEs are actually garbage gear.

Yet these guilds, with their much better gear, are still not clearing the raid until near the end of the season. So it is not actually a gear check.

Mist this can still be an example of a gear check, there's also a basic skill check involved. The greater the lack of basic skill, the greater the gear check to overgear the dumb.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I agree it wasn't a good idea to begin with, and I understand most people care more about gameplay than story, but when they try (emphasis on TRY) to tell a story, I don't mind if the gameplay reflects that a little including having some limitations as long as they make sense.. but when the story changes (in this case the covenants reuniting), the gameplay should change to follow that and improve QoL.
But the restriction from the story wasn't really something even in the story anyway. There was no strong sense of divided covenants.

Compare to Horde/Alliance restrictions where you have quests to kill them and the entire PvP system to justify them.

xzi

Mouthbreather
The armor sets are just data in a file. Whomever had the file viewer chose to put them on that model and take a screenshot.
come on, you know 90% of the people here haven't touched the game in 8 years and 9% of the rest barely have any understanding of how the game actually works, you expect them to know these aren't official blizzard posts?

• 1Like

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
But the restriction from the story wasn't really something even in the story anyway. There was no strong sense of divided covenants.

Compare to Horde/Alliance restrictions where you have quests to kill them and the entire PvP system to justify them.

Yeah it was half-assed, like most things for this expansion and for a few years now. The only real time I saw covenants as enemies was like I mentionned during the venthyr campaign, but the kyrian campaign takes you to Maldraxxus and none of the maldraxxi seem to mind, same with the maldraxxi / venthyr interactions, and everyone seems to like the night fae.

They could have used the anima draught to make the covenants so desperate they'd be at one another's throat, like the maldraxxi invading Bastion but happening in every zone, even the Winter Queen maybe using some shady methods to siphon anima for a good cause (saving her forest) but at the same time causing other realms to wither quicker, or the venthyr maybe torturing souls more than really necessary to "extract" more anima to survive.. then again it would have made the whole 9.1 kumbaya moment harder to believe I guess.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist this can still be an example of a gear check, there's also a basic skill check involved. The greater the lack of basic skill, the greater the gear check to overgear the dumb.
Very few mythic bosses in most tiers can be just plowed through with dumb. In fact, in all of the past 4 raid tiers, you could not get past the first 3 bosses of the tier with any amount of dumb, no matter how much gear.

Merrith

Very few mythic bosses in most tiers can be just plowed through with dumb. In fact, in all of the past 4 raid tiers, you could not get past the first 3 bosses of the tier with any amount of dumb, no matter how much gear.

There's levels of dumb, though. When we're comparing world first race guilds to entry level mythic guilds, there is a skill gap. Thus, more gear is required, obviously. It's all relative. I agree after a few weeks of farming those guilds will have more gear than the world first guilds did when they cleared Mythic, but I'd be curious to know on average when that threshold is reached. BoE's and shit might not be optimized for shit, but all of that and the split runs the world first guilds do pumps their average ilevel up enough that by the time they actually clear the raid, I'm betting it takes quite a bit before an entry level Mythic guild hits the same average ilevel throughout their 20 man raid group.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Even bad guilds have full rank 4 Domination sets, which is a huge dps boost over anything anyone could have had in week one. They still die to mechanics.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Mythic raiding in WoW kills guilds. The only time it doesn't cause serious turnover is when a guild doesn't actually care about progression, because it's pretty difficult to get Cutting Edge in Mythic before the next tier releases for like 85% of "Mythic" raiding guilds. Which says a lot.

In most cases, guilds don't end up outgearing Mythic raids. They end up waiting until the encounters have been nerfed into oblivion or some addon gets released that trivializes previously difficult mechanics.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Even bad guilds have full rank 4 Domination sets, which is a huge dps boost over anything anyone could have had in week one. They still die to mechanics.

Right, which is all part of the sliding scale.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Captain Obvious is working overtime at Blizzard:

I don't want to hear it unless they explain WHY they have not been listening to feedback and promise to not do that again.

The game is not fixed because they removed the most outrageous systems, it's still a P2W sharking jumping setting/story with not enough content or updates.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users