World of Warcraft: Current Year

Chris

Potato del Grande
I literally pre-paid for Shadowlands, played a total of 2 weeks. uninstalled it and havent looked back. Try New World, while not perfect, it is better than the garbage thats wow right now.
Oh me too. Think I did the month I paid for and that's it. All in on FF14 now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Goonsquad Officer
It's just puzzling to me how they:

1) Set up the Titan Pantheon and how they may not be friendly if they return in Vanilla, WotLK and Pandaria.

2) Set up a successor to the Lich King who would still be half Ner'zhul and not nessesarily be friendly long term, in WotLK.

3) Set up The Emerald Dream, Nathrazim Homeworld, Naaru Homeworld and Azjol'Nerub in Vanilla/BC/WotLK.

Recognise any of that stuff? It's everything in the Shadowlands except in the old Metzen lore.

Titan Pantheon is gone in an end expansion patch they didn't need to be in and you only fight one of them.

Bolvar Lich King was undone in a cinematic, you don't even fight him yourself.

Emerald Dream was cut from Vanilla, resolved in a book, then wasted as a raid in an expansion it didn't need to be in. Azjol'Nerub was cut from WotLK and wasted in 2 dungeons. Nathrazim and Naaru homeworlds were never visited but would have fit well in a cosmic expansion with Argus.

So after having wasted all their anticipated expansion concepts for no reason (not even mentioning Elemental Planes, Argus, Nazjatar and Nyalotha only being patch zones/raids), we get these weird alternate reality versions of all these things done over.

Titans are now First Ones.

Lich King is now The Jailor.

The Emerald Dream is now Ardenweald.
Nathrazim Homeworld is now Ravendreth.
Naaru Homeworld is now Bastion.
Azjol'Nerub is now Maldraxxus.
Argus is now The Maw.
Titan Homeworld is now Zereth Mortis.

People are looking back at Pandaria with fondness, because they took part of an anticipated South Seas expansion concept and fleshed it out to a full expansion. They didn't waste Pandaria as a single expansion patch zone.

Fuck Blizzard for ruining their own world.
It started ruined from wc3 to wow. They squandered everything they could and even reintroduced gnomes.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Does FF14 pull this time gating faggot shit?

Narratively, the Eternity’s End raid tells two stories, one after the other. Our current plan for the release of the raid looks like this:

• During the first week of the release of Eternity’s End, the raid will not be open.
  • Beginning with the second week, the raid will open for Normal and Heroic difficulties, and the first eight bosses will be available in those difficulties.
    • It will not be possible to fight the final bosses on any difficulty during week two.
    • This is intended to provide a moment to tell the story in a way that accounts for the passage of time between the events of the eighth encounter and the subsequent encounters.
  • Beginning with the weekly reset of week three, all bosses will be available on Normal, Heroic, and Mythic difficulties.
    • This will also be the opening of the first wing of the raid on Raid Finder difficulty.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Lol Laughing GIF
Lol Laughing GIF
Lol Laughing GIF

• 4Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
This is the first time I've watched any sort of video from WoW devs and not recognized a single fucking name that came up and talked. So when's Rob Pardo gonna get his Cosby Room set up and we get some decent games? Morhaime? Kaplan? Someone??

But really, a good game seems to be lightning striking at the right time. See David Brevik. Hellgate could have been amazing. I guess Marvel Heroes was pretty good, but he never hit the highs of D2 again. My guess is the former Blizzard guys will never hit the high again they nailed with WoW or their other games again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Here's what's going to happen:

Anduin: He's like super evil now, so we're going to fight him. At 20%, Sylvanaas will yell "ENOUGH!" and he'll come to his senses.

Jailer: There's going to be some stupid shit where he's about to kill us all, then Sylvanaas shows up and shoots an arrow into his weak spot (his nipple) which allows us to beat him. Good Guy Anduin becomes the new Jailer because "there must always be a Jailer".

Sylvanaas: Yeah, she burned down the tree, killing millions of civilians and causing them to be sent to The Maw to be tortured for eternity, but she's like really really sorry. Even Elune/Tyrande forgive her (we'll see those two again in about six years). Sylvanaas becomes the new Arbitor because the position is vacant and again she's really really sorry.

Magni: The WOONZ! Oh shit, we forgot about the WOONZ!

Jaina, Baine, Thrall, Bolvar, etc: Each will have two or three lines of dialogue then we might see them in the next five years or not.

(at this point the screen goes black, and it pans to a scene of Khadbro waking you up from a deep sleep)

Khadgar: "Champion! We were starting to get a bit worried! We've been trying to wake you for quite some time!"
(You begin to tell him about the past four years of BFA and Shadowlands)
Khadgar: "It appears you had quite the wild dream Champion! Now lets get out there and fight the Legion!" (as he brushes up against you and /farts loudly)

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Here's what's going to happen:

Anduin: He's like super evil now, so we're going to fight him. At 20%, Sylvanaas will yell "ENOUGH!" and he'll come to his senses.

Jailer: There's going to be some stupid shit where he's about to kill us all, then Sylvanaas shows up and shoots an arrow into his weak spot (his nipple) which allows us to beat him. Good Guy Anduin becomes the new Jailer because "there must always be a Jailer".

Sylvanaas: Yeah, she burned down the tree, killing millions of civilians and causing them to be sent to The Maw to be tortured for eternity, but she's like really really sorry. Even Elune/Tyrande forgive her (we'll see those two again in about six years). Sylvanaas becomes the new Arbitor because the position is vacant and again she's really really sorry.

Magni: The WOONZ! Oh shit, we forgot about the WOONZ!

Jaina, Baine, Thrall, Bolvar, etc: Each will have two or three lines of dialogue then we might see them in the next five years or not.

(at this point the screen goes black, and it pans to a scene of Khadbro waking you up from a deep sleep)

Khadgar: "Champion! We were starting to get a bit worried! We've been trying to wake you for quite some time!"
(You begin to tell him about the past four years of BFA and Shadowlands)
Khadgar: "It appears you had quite the wild dream Champion! Now lets get out there and fight the Legion!" (as he brushes up against you and /farts loudly)

Upon hearing the above Garrosh wills himself back into existence through pure fucking rage and hate. Everyone turns in shock, as Hellscream with the fury of a thousand suns kicks the Maw Walker full center mass right in his fucking beanbag, as he drops to the ground recoiling in throbbing torment. Garrosh shadowing above him. Our champion strains to look up, water pooling at the sides of his eyes in sheer agony lifts his brow meeting the stern gaze of the Nobel Warchief.

Garrosh without hesitation screams "Night Night Faggot" as he is he swiftly cleaves down the mighty Gorehowl the heritage of his people, drinking in the blood of the champion. As the Maw Walker takes his last breath as the lights dim.

Severs go offline for good.

133-1332005_garrosh-hellscream-wallpapers-hd-wow-garrosh-hellscream-background.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I think we're underestimating the possibility of some Social Justice messaging filtering in. Sylvanas and Tyrande may even end up having the hots for each other and co-ruling as Dykes of the Maw.

Chris

Potato del Grande
At the end of the Anduin fight, his sword will break and the spirit of good Arthas is going to come out. Sylvanas is going to forgive fucking ARTHAS because she realises he was just a pawn like she was lol. This is her redemption.

Jaina will say that she loves Arthas as he fades away. Thrall and Bolvar will just stand there doing nothing. Baine is in Oribos.

That's the finale of the first 8 bosses and why the timegate stops there.

Tyrande will turn up to kill her at some point and stop/be stopped. It'll be underwhelming and lame.

Once Jailer is killed the infinity sigil will pop out and Sylvanas will take it to be the new arbiter, her first act will be sending Arthas to... I was going to say Ravendreth... but actually he'll go to Bastion under Uther's tutelage to become an angel lmao.

You go back to Azeroth and Turalyon is Trump and has taken over The Alliance and banished Alleria. Alleria has no involvement or comment on her sister Sylvanas' fate. 3rd sister Veressa they forget exists.

Last edited:
  • 1Brony
  • 1Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
No. Unless you count a content patch release as "timegating."
Actually at launch, they do, kinda. Basically when a new expansion launch, the main raid isn't available right away. 2weeks after launch the normal version is available(LFR) and 2weeks after that, savage is available. The whole tier is available at once though, and they only do that for new expansion, to let people take their time enjoying the story, leveling alts, getting crafting/gathering up, getting used to new rotations and this kind of stuff. It's the only thing though, either a raid is released or it isn't, there's no gating encounters behind timers. Granted XIV raids are only 4 fights per tier(but there's 3 tiers every expansion, plus 1-2 ultimates, plus the extremes which are easy encounters but could count as the simpler raid fights, plus the past 2 expansions the weird 48man stuff).

I'd say personally I wouldn't mind too much though depending on how it's done. If they're drip feeding encounters after the timegate, that'd suck, but if they're like withholding say half the raid for later I think it'd be ok if "later" means a few weeks and the half that's available is meaty enough. No idea how they're going about it though.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Actually at launch, they do, kinda. Basically when a new expansion launch, the main raid isn't available right away. 2weeks after launch the normal version is available(LFR) and 2weeks after that, savage is available. The whole tier is available at once though, and they only do that for new expansion, to let people take their time enjoying the story, leveling alts, getting crafting/gathering up, getting used to new rotations and this kind of stuff. It's the only thing though, either a raid is released or it isn't, there's no gating encounters behind timers. Granted XIV raids are only 4 fights per tier(but there's 3 tiers every expansion, plus 1-2 ultimates, plus the extremes which are easy encounters but could count as the simpler raid fights, plus the past 2 expansions the weird 48man stuff).

I'd say personally I wouldn't mind too much though depending on how it's done. If they're drip feeding encounters after the timegate, that'd suck, but if they're like withholding say half the raid for later I think it'd be ok if "later" means a few weeks and the half that's available is meaty enough. No idea how they're going about it though.
I think there's a huge difference in timegating entire raids so that people don't feel pressured to skip main expansion levelling content and timegating raid wings for no gameplay reason.

FF14 also puts the entire main expansion story in the .0 solo/dungeons/group finder content, raids are side stories so there's no lore reason to rush through them to see the plot twist.

Endwalker had three final bosses (Emet-Selch, Elidibus and Mitron & Lohgrif) who are all plot important Ascians, but Emet was the main one in .0, Elidibus was mid expansion patch and the other two at the end of the raid.

I feel like at best WoW is timegating raids to stretch out their retarded Game of Thrones Season 8 plot twists.

Last edited:

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like at best WoW is timegating raids to stretch out their retarded Game of Thrones Season 8 plot twists.
It's fairly obvious that Blizzard tried to instill a "shared emotional experience" for their playerbase, because they enviously looked at FFXIV and how the story of that game is bonding the playerbase together like epoxy resin.

Only that Square-Enix has almost 30 years of experience crafting RPG narratives, while Blizzard is trying to emulate "western" fantasy storytelling like GoT, but without having an overarching long-term roadmap. They admitted the story parts for 9.1 came together after the release of Shadowlands.

And while FFXIV had it's story from ARR to Endwalker planned out before the release of ARR, Blizzard needed to retcon stuff into WC3 to now claim that the "Shadowlands story pulls together threads that started in Warcraft III and wove their way through many of our expansions.", and that 'it's now ending an epic storyline that started years ago."

zereth.png

• 3Like
  • 3Worf
  • 1Brony
Reactions: 7 users

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Zereth Mortis looks like all their recent zones with hippie vegetation and cute and sparkling shit running around.

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
..and then there is me who quit half way through Battle For Azeroth;
LaughsAtU(7).jpg

But I can't judge, my avatar isn't about my weed abuse... it's the irony of my addiction telling me not to do my addiction; Video Games.