World of Warcraft: Current Year

Chris

Potato del Grande
thats fucking great. im not a FF14 guy but feel like just buying the endwalker box just to show some support now

it shows balls. something lacking in game design right now
There so much more than that, Endwalker has some serious themes and the writer Matsuko Ishikawa has clearly been reading ancient greek and renaissance literature given what is referenced.

Serious Endwalker spoilers:
She fucking answers the Problem of evil - Wikipedia in the final two zones of the expansion.

She explores the will to live with an old general killing himself rather than see his empire fall, children freezing to death rather than accept your help given that you are percieved to be a "conqueror" and they are of a proud people. This is juxtaposed against parents dying to protect their baby and your own will to survive even if denied your heroic abilities.

The fucking heat death of the universe and the existential dread of the drake equation becomes the core plot thread in the final zone and it's terrifying.

Ishikawa was promoted on merit over several expansions from class quest writer to zone writer to lead writer because the fans went out of the way to say that her stuff was the best.

And then you look at Steve Danuser, someone promoted to a position of incompeence, someone who failed upwards writing for failed games, someone who loves shallow corporate stories like Game of Thrones S8 and likely hates his own culture as a Californian...

• 4Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Ishikawa was promoted on merit over several expansions from class quest writer to zone writer to lead writer because the fans went out of the way to say that her stuff was the best.

That's interesting they opted not to promote a programmer from the Square-Enix website infrastructure and make him president of the entire company

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
That's interesting they opted not to promote a programmer from the Square-Enix website infrastructure and make him president of the entire company
Maybe they didn't have someone who could code themselves to ejaculate silicone chips to make new servers.

Fucker

Log Wizard
And then you look at Steve Danuser, someone promoted to a position of incompeence, someone who failed upwards writing for failed games, someone who loves shallow corporate stories like Game of Thrones S8 and likely hates his own culture as a Californian...
He takes tired old plots and story memes, tosses them into a bingo mixer, pulls out a handful of them, then shits them all over a page. He's not even at the level of bad....he's far worse. Years ago, there was a guy here who used to write stories as if he was a teenage girl. They were cringy and awful, but he was much better than Danuser. I don't think I've ever come across worse writing in a video game, and I am not being melodramatic here.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
He takes tired old plots and story memes, tosses them into a bingo mixer, pulls out a handful of them, then shits them all over a page. He's not even at the level of bad....he's far worse. Years ago, there was a guy here who used to write stories as if he was a teenage girl. They were cringy and awful, but he was much better than Danuser. I don't think I've ever come across worse writing in a video game, and I am not being melodramatic here.
Absolutely I can't think of anything worse.

Some games may be worse in isolation but when you take into account what the Blizzard IPs used to be and the genres the "stories" are in... it's grim.

Like if I download a crappy free gatch game on my phone and it's creepy preteen waifus babbling on about whatever bullshit, it's just that I'm not the demographic for paedophile RPGs and I uninstall.

But Warcraft, they already got me invested in it with good storytelling and worldbuilding. I can't just uninstall years of my life.

o47zzyybpq581.jpg

Last edited:
  • 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I ninja transferred from FoH in TBC after riding coattails to a bunch of loot. Alex put a permanent -15% damage penalty on my account and Lori sent threats via emails + handwritten letters to the P.O. box listed on my account. Who's dick do I suck to get added to this lawsuit? See y'all in the post-subpoena docs from this forum btw. Common knowledge Alex has been posting here the whole time.
Would be a shame if someone posted those letters right here.

• 2Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
There so much more than that, Endwalker has some serious themes and the writer Matsuko Ishikawa has clearly been reading ancient greek and renaissance literature given what is referenced.

Serious Endwalker spoilers:
She fucking answers the Problem of evil - Wikipedia in the final two zones of the expansion.

She explores the will to live with an old general killing himself rather than see his empire fall, children freezing to death rather than accept your help given that you are percieved to be a "conqueror" and they are of a proud people. This is juxtaposed against parents dying to protect their baby and your own will to survive even if denied your heroic abilities.

The fucking heat death of the universe and the existential dread of the drake equation becomes the core plot thread in the final zone and it's terrifying.

So basically time to move to Japan?

Chris

Potato del Grande
So basically time to move to Japan?
Yeah when the great replacement is more progressed, we are going to be the disgusting poor refugees insisting on our backwards cultural practices, not learning the language and waving our old flags constantly.

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've never played with Shards of Domination but from everything Ive read, and the work required to get them, this pretty much sets the precedence that theyre in the next expansion train of thought. I really just want to watch it burn at this point and hope that expansion sales are complete garbage. Unfortunately, I already know that the next expansion will have far reaching sales, as usual.

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
How far do you think they are from some kind of free2play?
I feel like at this point they should be turning into it... alas... they have this whole wow token thing going on... its hard to imagine blizzard going f2p with wow without a proper alternative to the wow token.
Anyone has any kind of idea?

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why would they give up $15/month per user. They already have a whale shop plus sub money. They enjoy the best of both worlds right now.

Last edited: