World of Warcraft: Current Year

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Trapped in Randomonia>
They can't be this stupid, so I think that they are intentionally letting the player base shrink to reduce server costs.

For every player who quits because of this shit, another will fall for it and spend double their sub on average for microtransactions, but they make more money because of less support staff/electricity needed.

They are also testing the limits of how many expansion features and patches are needed, they can afford to lose players if dev costs go down. Shadowlands is the first without a new race/class, has the least number of zones ever and the least number of dungeons.

I want think that this isn't sustainable and it will crash and burn soon, but people still play Everquest and that's profitable somehow.

They also already have the memberberries in all the old players (see Classic success) so they can rely on new releases still getting massive sales as people return to check things out.

This is the model of capitalism that is destroying the west, where things technically make more money but quality of life for everyone else decreases.

Certaintly no intelligent person should be taking part in this, with an established MMO in FF14 still offering a full feature set, new MMOs like New World releasing or on the horizon and good quality F2P games like Genshin Impact doing what Blizzard is moving towards already.

Never underestimate MMO players! New World seems to have stabilized around 90-100k players, at least for the last 30 days. Despite an (arguably) even more incompetent staff making awful decisions. That one lacks a sub, and the shop is garbage, not sure how they'll make $$$ but like you said, even EQ makes a profit. WoW can lose 95% of their playerbase and still keep the lights on, just by re-releasing Classic at regular intervals (this keeps the lights on at EQ2 too lol)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Never underestimate MMO players! New World seems to have stabilized around 90-100k players, at least for the last 30 days. Despite an (arguably) even more incompetent staff making awful decisions. That one lacks a sub, and the shop is garbage, not sure how they'll make $$$ but like you said, even EQ makes a profit. WoW can lose 95% of their playerbase and still keep the lights on, just by re-releasing Classic at regular intervals (this keeps the lights on at EQ2 too lol)
Yeah New World sounds like it has issues, but it also has no sub like you say. So it's a fresh shitty MMO with no sub fee, as opposed to WoW being a tired shitty MMO with a sub fee, why not give it a go?

I still feel like they would be making more money if they did things properly and still had 10M subs.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
To be honest, this seems to be some form of Poe's law. I can't really tell anymore who is legit addicted to WoW and who is trolling:

23e4c365047aed247db71aa90b5c5069.png

• 2Worf
  • 2Barf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Probably fan garbage but whatever: 10.0 Leak

That certainly has a certain ring of truth about it. Would tick most of the boxes we've already speculated while also remaining horrifically myopic.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande

That certainly has a certain ring of truth about it. Would tick most of the boxes we've already speculated while also remaining horrifically myopic.
The black dragon race sounds awesome actually, but they should allow all 5 types of dragons and give them a different racial ability and class selection.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
A dragon race where you were your own flying mount sounds pretty cool and I think people would like it so it's probably fake.

CHAMPION, WE'VE DISCOVERED PREVIOUSLY UNDISCOVERED LANDS. GO MAKE COMMON CAUSE WITH THE NATIVES SUCH THAT WE MAY GAIN THE UPPER HAND VERSUS OUR HATED ENEMIES THE (HORDE/ALLIANCE) OH SNAP IS THAT ELDER GOD INFLUENCE?

I'm one bottle of hair dye and a gender transition away from head writer spitting fire like that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Only one gender? Pffft amateur.

So both Horde and Alliance would be Black Dragons I assume, just aligned with whatever your 'biped' form was? Worgen Black Dragons would be a hoot...

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Trapped in Randomonia>
A dragon race where you were your own flying mount sounds pretty cool and I think people would like it

Until you realize you have to spend 90% of the expansion walking as you re-earn flying with pathfinder 26.2.0 and you can't until it until a year after the game launches, and once it's available all new zones are designed with some arbitrary reason you can't fly like a constant fuck you to the player base. This seems exactly like the Blizzard we know. :trollface: Hate your playerbase.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Damn, you know shit is dire when they're ripping off Horizons: Empire of Istaria.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Damn, you know shit is dire when they're ripping off Horizons: Empire of Istaria.
BAhahaha - Thats what I was thinking. Of all the shit they could rip off, they chose Horizons? Ha!
The black dragon race sounds awesome actually, but they should allow all 5 types of dragons and give them a different racial ability and class selection.
Dont give them ideas on how they can force players into looking like a colorful rendition of gay pride with each flight of Dragons. Much less, if Covenants have shown us anything - the last thing I would want them to do would be adding new abilities. Even if it was just cosmetic, it would be some bull shit where all other dragon flights bow down at the roar of a Black Dragon.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They are also testing the limits of how many expansion features and patches are needed, they can afford to lose players if dev costs go down. Shadowlands is the first without a new race/class, has the least number of zones ever and the least number of dungeons.

I want think that this isn't sustainable and it will crash and burn soon, but people still play Everquest and that's profitable somehow.

This is the model of capitalism that is destroying the west, where things technically make more money but quality of life for everyone else decreases.

Certaintly no intelligent person should be taking part in this, with an established MMO in FF14 still offering a full feature set, new MMOs like New World releasing or on the horizon and good quality F2P games like Genshin Impact doing what Blizzard is moving towards already.

They also already have the memberberries in all the old players (see Classic success) so they can rely on new releases still getting massive sales as people return to check things out.

See re-release of Wow Classic recently. It smacks of memberberries, yet they had only just launched TBC and have not yet completed TBC. "Get back on Vanilla again".

And get back on Vanilla they did.....indeed they did. I have half of my friendlist on discord I just discovered secretly playing the classic servers again this month. I had to do detective work because everyone is resubbing in silence and keeping it quiet. The memberberries VANILLA RELOADED PART 2 really did sell well and got subs up.

"Wait you meant you are playing vanilla again on an emulator project right?"

"No, I'm playing classic. Blizzard official server new vanilla reloaded"

*oof*

Also SL has the most toxic dungeon design of all time. Half the MDI sat out because it's just plain wretched and not fun. The expac was rotten from the start in terms of core gameplay features. M+ having been gutted from BFA was fine if the dungeons were still fun it'd be overlooked. The dungeons were never fun.

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
About dungeons, the timed aspect of M+ has to go, it's so stressful and the source of the toxicity.

In FF14 you learn how to speedrun and want to do it naturally because it's time efficient, but it isn't forced and you can slow down if you have a new player or whatever. This is also what we did before M+.

Why can't the dungeons just scale on damage done/taken? Because they want it to be an e-sport??

• 1Moron

Leon

<Silver Donator>
About dungeons, the timed aspect of M+ has to go, it's so stressful and the source of the toxicity.

In FF14 you learn how to speedrun and want to do it naturally because it's time efficient, but it isn't forced and you can slow down if you have a new player or whatever. This is also what we did before M+.

Why can't the dungeons just scale on damage done/taken? Because they want it to be an e-sport??
Yes

• 1Moron

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Just fan fiction. Prior to SL someone wrote up a big leak about the next xpac being about dragons and we know how that turned out.

Though at the same time it has horrible lore continuity so who knows.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
To be honest an expansion about "dragons" might be in the spirits of the times at Blizzard:

Sans titre.png

• 3Barf
  • 1Worf
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 6 users