World of Warcraft: Current Year

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The game isn't fun because it doesn't encourage you to play with your friends, which is what MMOs are all about. Instead, if you are a good player, it encourages you to abandon your friends and find people of similar skill levels to make meaningful progression, mmos always did this to some extent but WoW is now in the far extreme. If you aren't good then like you said it offers 5 million different avenues to advance but between constant gear resets and free stuff none of it feels meaningful and you can't build a mid tier community because the game is so muddled.

They need to go back to mechanics that just encourage people to play together and have fun and not hammer you down because you didn't finish the zone in time or exclude you from any meaningful loot because you haven't been practicing your rotation for 13 years.
idk about you but I don't wanna be online friends with people who suck at video games.

And I definitely don't wanna play MMOs with people I know IRL.

• 1Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
There's 4 difficulty levels of raids, like 22+ effective difficulty levels of dungeons, an extensive PvP ladder, battlegrounds, plus all the bullshit you have to do to unlock all the seasonal bullshit you need to progress your character.

WoW isn't bad because there isn't enough to do; it's bad because there's a bunch of unfun shit you're forced to do before you can enjoy the content you want.
Casuals won't be doing any raiding above LFG and maybe normal. Beyond that, rewards for either are not in line with overland rep grind stuff. Outside of the top populated servers, the number of people doing heroic anything drops off of a cliff.

M+ stuff excludes casuals by design. I don't know anything about their PVP, so no comment on that.

...this just leaves rep grinds. Operative word here once again, things for casuals to do.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
idk about you but I don't wanna be online friends with people who suck at video games.

And I definitely don't wanna play MMOs with people I know IRL.

Ever since EQ days MMORPGs have been nothing more than AOL chat rooms with the extra bonus of shit to kill. Just because you are a miserable cunt and a socially awkward retard doesn't mean they should finish killing off their game to appeal to one of the most worthless niche demographic retards on earth. The end goal for Blizzard is still to make money not hope to enthrall a harpy dyke until she swallows a bottle of pills.

They tried to make the 800 difficulty settings and guess what happened 99% of the playerbase quit and told them to suck shit.

I'll let you in on a little secret again, nobody quit the game over hongkong, or bowls of fruit, or because Alex was laying pipe on skanks at Blizzcon, nobody quit because of store mounts, or tranny faggots, or whores killing themselves at the company while American Inventors stole their breast milks. None of that shit matters or ever will matter. Satan could own the company and kill puppies while fucking employees in the ass with a spiked dildo. NOBODY ON EARTH WOULD CARE.

The reason they quit is because the game sucks shit, will continue to suck shit, and all the talent has left the building. Designing social games in a way that kills all social aspects is pure idiocy. There should be challenge but when the challenge reaches the point that you have to tell the average dude to go pound sand you done fucked up.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Cybsled

True, but WoW devs view housing and things of that nature with disdain. No leet gamer would ever want to do any of that!

I do wonder why they never developed housing - it sticks out like a sore thumb. There is either a limitation on the engine that prevents them from making anything more complex than a garrison, or they're just dumb.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I do wonder why they never developed housing - it sticks out like a sore thumb. There is either a limitation on the engine that prevents them from making anything more complex than a garrison, or they're just dumb.

Player housing is the dumbest shit of dumb shit the most retarded of American Inventors beg for. Nobody on earth cares about your fucking gear and shit and if you can't show it off enough by jumping up and down on the mailbox than no virtual playhouse is going to help you. Get a fucking clue. It's wasted resources to reduce a world to an empty state as retarded dick American Inventors who wish they could be streamers can sit isolated in a virtual cage and masterbate. Go sit in your garrison you fucking failure.

• 1Moron
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Cybsled

Player housing is the dumbest shit of dumb shit the most retarded of American Inventors beg for. Nobody on earth cares about your fucking gear and shit and if you can't show it off enough by jumping up and down on the mailbox than no virtual playhouse is going to help you. Get a fucking clue. It's wasted resources to reduce a world to an empty state as retarded dick American Inventors who wish they could be streamers can sit isolated in a virtual cage and masterbate. Go sit in your garrison you fucking failure.

Cry more, shitter

Last edited:

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Jesus gentlemen, please calm down. Everyone likes different aspects of the game and my experience from other MMOs is "women" like to decorate stuff and why not. As long as grinding all the crafting options does not net the BIS trinket who cares.
Again: fight me but all the expansions so far have been worth at least the box price in terms of entertainment but I stopped preordering after BFA because I think they circle jerk with those numbers like "See? Nothing wrong, we got 200k preorders, they like what we do!". I do not want another BFA/SL formula expansion, no matter if the meta is "pirates" or "dragons" or space trannies.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Jesus gentlemen, please calm down. Everyone likes different aspects of the game and my experience from other MMOs is "women" like to decorate stuff and why not
Player cosmetics take care of that. Only problem is cosmetics have been dog shit for the most in bfa and sl.

Cybsled

At this juncture, the game is really being held back by its engine in terms of what they can present. They had that major graphical update to player models like what, 10 years ago? Even with that, they seem to be limited in how complex they can make armor since a large majority of it is "texture stretched onto a simple mesh/player model" and even if they had complexity, like Phoenix pointed out their designs have been kind of crap as of late.

Of course that is just graphics, but if your game isnt offering much besides "shiny_stick00", then you really need some engaging stuff to keep players interested. The initial leveling process usually is ok in most of the expansions (at least segments of it), but once you get past that, you're usually just stuck grinding dailies that dont feel rewarding or being forced to raid. Their increasingly unfriendly to alt designs have also made it less viable to use that as additional content.

If the xpac announcement tomorrow doesn't reveal that reputations and the like are now account wide, then there is no hope for them lol

Fucker

Log Wizard
Player cosmetics take care of that. Only problem is cosmetics have been dog shit for the most in bfa and sl.
Game certainly needs more shoulderpads and mounts.

Some people laugh at housing, but EQ2 did it just about perfectly. You could get housing items from dungeons and we spent a lot of time dicking around getting people theirs. I never saw or even talked to anyone in my last WoW guild except for raids, and I was in that guild for a long time. Hell, I don't think I've communicated with anyone in WoW in years.

Cybsled

Some people laugh at housing, but EQ2 did it just about perfectly. You could get housing items from dungeons and we spent a lot of time dicking around getting people theirs. I never saw or even talked to anyone in my last WoW guild except for raids, and I was in that guild for a long time. Hell, I don't think I've communicated with anyone in WoW in years.

FFXIV does all of the above

Raids or Dungeons can drop housing items
You can craft them - and some crafts require special items from raids to make
You can get them as quest rewards
You can get them from vendors (reputation, regular, or special currency)
You can get them from PVP

And most of it is tradable, so if you dont give a shit about housing, you can sell it to someone who does.

If WoW implemented a decent housing system and added all sorts of drops from different sources, then you basically add a lot of replay value to the game - either from people who want to collect cool items, or players who want to sell the cool items to others. This encourages them to try different types of content to get it, or makes that content more valuable to people who already run it if they know the "dragon skull table" they got from the newest raid can sell for a ton of gold on Auction House.

Even games like New World understood this to a degree - while their housing system needs work, they added non-craftable rare furniture that can drop in the world and its pretty much all tradable, so players can sell it to others if they dont care about decorating a house beyond plopping down storage chests or stat trophies.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
FFXIV does all of the above

Raids or Dungeons can drop housing items
You can craft them - and some crafts require special items from raids to make
You can get them as quest rewards
You can get them from vendors (reputation, regular, or special currency)
You can get them from PVP

And most of it is tradable, so if you dont give a shit about housing, you can sell it to someone who does.

If WoW implemented a decent housing system and added all sorts of drops from different sources, then you basically add a lot of replay value to the game - either from people who want to collect cool items, or players who want to sell the cool items to others. This encourages them to try different types of content to get it, or makes that content more valuable to people who already run it if they know the "dragon skull table" they got from the newest raid can sell for a ton of gold on Auction House.

Even games like New World understood this to a degree - while their housing system needs work, they added non-craftable rare furniture that can drop in the world and its pretty much all tradable, so players can sell it to others if they dont care about decorating a house beyond plopping down storage chests or stat trophies.

Neat you pointed out another dead game.. man I am sure people who quit New World were sitting there going man if only they had more player housing I would still be playing. What a dumb American Inventor you are a pathetic cuck loser. What a stupid American Inventor imagine the garbage dogshit game you would design. Faggot fairy dress up playhouse.

• 2Moron
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Game certainly needs more shoulderpads and mounts.

Barely anybody in WoW ever speaks, in my experience. Dungeon runs? Not a peep. Raids? Instructions from raid leader and various dumbass comments from people who probably aren't listening, that's it. Guild chat? Mostly silence except when people spam their congrats hotkeys every time someone gets a cheevo.

Holy fuck, that last one is annoying. But since I want to be left alone most of the time anyway, the rest doesn't bother me. It's just...weird, especially after playing EQ so much where there's a definite sense of community and communication between people at all times.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Barely anybody in WoW ever speaks, in my experience. Dungeon runs? Not a peep. Raids? Instructions from raid leader and various dumbass comments from people who probably aren't listening, that's it. Guild chat? Mostly silence except when people spam their congrats hotkeys every time someone gets a cheevo.

Holy fuck, that last one is annoying. But since I want to be left alone most of the time anyway, the rest doesn't bother me. It's just...weird, especially after playing EQ so much where there's a definite sense of community and communication between people at all times.

This is mostly because the novelty of communicating in game has evolved to the point that it's less guildchats or game specific and moved to discord communities. For a long time the inner-connectivity of MMORPGs was a new way to communicate with people all over the world and the degree of that was fairly unique to gaming. At this point that is no longer unique or special in game, especially when there are programs that do this better and across platforms/games.

Communities still exist they are just not limited or ingame.

Cybsled

It's just...weird, especially after playing EQ so much where there's a definite sense of community and communication between people at all times.

Communication in EQ1 was a side effect of its slow combat system - you spent more time waiting than fighting, and when you did fight, it typically required very little in the way of user inputs. Especially if you were a melee - auto attack and then maybe press some special attack button once every 30 seconds.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I'm going to guess it's going to be as shit as possible.

No new class, no new race,

5 zone floating Dragon Isles with loading screens between them but one is cut for patch content. Guessing biomes will be Desert, Forest, Swamp, Ice, Volcano.

5 covenants but each one only has 1 ability (not one per class). Class sets are back for each tier but the set bonus is like soulbinds.

Addons removed and UI overhaul as big feature. Expanded timewalking as another feature (different expansion for one week per month).

Either covered up Alexstraza is box art character, or arab-diverse Wrathion.

Villian is that chromatic dragon from the Cataclysm book nobody but YouTube lore channels knows about. Murozond raid tier is cut.
Sounds legit.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They need to build for longevity and it only takes smart design desicions, not extra dev time.

Everything is thrown away after one patch, the Season 4 stuff with making all raids relevent and adding old megadungeons to M+ is a start.

Unfortunatly it's really too late as the level squish already threw everything away. They wanted to rush new players to max level but they are left confused by the new levelling structure, they should have made it possible/useful for max level players to scale down and play with newbies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The leveling structure for new players is relatively coherent. They do Exiles Reach —> BFA —> SL. The bigger issue is they hit level cap and are suddenly playing a different game. Leveling doesn’t remotely prepare you to make decisions regarding covenant, conduits, legendaries, soulbinds, etc… Hitting 60 should just link you to a wowhead class guide since the game does such a terrible job.

Back in the day, before all the borrowed power bullshit, you hit 60 and just starting pvping or doing dungeons.