World of Warcraft: Current Year

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So apparently people got banned for a week for "exploiting" tailorworking and the daily (or is it weekly?) CD for the cloth bolts.

Get this though, the interface said they could craft. So they interface said they had 20/20 crafts remaining. It wasn't an exploit at all. Just shit coding.

Dunno if true read on reddit.
I mean "interface said they could" isn't really a valid excuse, that's what exploits are, by definition they use game mechanics, as opposed to hacks which would involve injecting data and so on. The whole point is you exploit one of these issues(oversight, bad coding and so on) to gain a benefit that is obviously unintended.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I mean "interface said they could" isn't really a valid excuse, that's what exploits are, by definition they use game mechanics, as opposed to hacks which would involve injecting data and so on. The whole point is you exploit one of these issues(oversight, bad coding and so on) to gain a benefit that is obviously unintended.

No lol.

If suddenly there's zero cool down on an ability then that's a bug not an exploit. E.g.bad coding. And it's available to every player with that ability.

Exploits are more creative and hidden. Like figuring out that if you equip X and Y item then use Z ability you become invulnerable, then using that invulnerability in pvp

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
No lol.

If suddenly there's zero cool down on an ability then that's a bug not an exploit. E.g.bad coding. And it's available to every player with that ability.

Exploits are more creative and hidden. Like figuring out that if you equip X and Y item then use Z ability you become invulnerable, then using that invulnerability in pvp
Exploits can absolutely be something really dumb and obvious. GW2 launch massive exploit that got a ton of people banned was "buy an item for x gold then vendor it for x+y gold, repeat until billionaire". The level of complexity of the bug/issue doesn't matter, anything that can provide an unintended(in the spirit of the game) benefit is an exploit and they will ban/suspend if they have a large enough impact, for example on the economy(every single dupe for example). If you have a limited amount of weeklies or dailies or whatever, and these don't actually get expended when you complete them, and you just keep completing them 100, 500 or 7000times, then you're obviously exploiting an issue/bug that you know isn't supposed to work like that so acting like "oh but I was just playing the game" is stupid. That's been what gets people banned ever since UO house dupes and shit like that, and probably earlier than that but I wasn't playing mmos before UO.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Exploits can absolutely be something really dumb and obvious. GW2 launch massive exploit that got a ton of people banned was "buy an item for x gold then vendor it for x+y gold, repeat until billionaire". The level of complexity of the bug/issue doesn't matter, anything that can provide an unintended(in the spirit of the game) benefit is an exploit and they will ban/suspend if they have a large enough impact, for example on the economy(every single dupe for example). If you have a limited amount of weeklies or dailies or whatever, and these don't actually get expended when you complete them, and you just keep completing them 100, 500 or 7000times, then you're obviously exploiting an issue/bug that you know isn't supposed to work like that so acting like "oh but I was just playing the game" is stupid. That's been what gets people banned ever since UO house dupes and shit like that, and probably earlier than that but I wasn't playing mmos before UO.

Screenshot_20221215-124332.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Well besides the fact that posting an AI answer isn't particularly a good argument, it's actually saying "intentional use of a bug or a flaw", which is what I was saying? Complexity still has no impact at all in whether something is an exploit, and bugs can be exploited. Exploiting is more about the intent than the method.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Well besides the fact that posting an AI answer isn't particularly a good argument, it's actually saying "intentional use of a bug or a flaw", which is what I was saying? Complexity still has no impact at all in whether something is an exploit, and bugs can be exploited. Exploiting is more about the intent than the method.

Your guild wars example was a bug not an exploit. If the item has a purchase value of 10g but a sale value to vendor of 15g then that's shitty coding and the players may be taking advantage of that coding mistake but they're not exploiting the game itself

By contrast, if one player found that selling that item to a vendor at a specific server time, in a specific location whilst wearing a Dark Iron helmet gave you a vendor sale price of 15g, and 10g under every other circumstance then that's an exploit

Ragnaros not spawning any sons on one random pull in vanilla was a bug. Figuring out that if every player stands in a circle and types /dance with ragnaros can get sons to not spawn every time is an exploit

I am not autistic

Last edited:
  • 1Hodjing
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Keep your voice down! In the next version it will scan the interwebz for dissidents. A few more versions and Robocob will knock on your door. With a rocket launcher.

1671109709640.png

• 1Rustled
Reactions: 1 user

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Honestly a huge win to get him back. Their last few expansions have been dogshit. Dragonflight TBD.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Didn't it come out like 3weeks ago? They're already giving away shit for people to buy it?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Didn't it come out like 3weeks ago? They're already giving away shit for people to buy it?
I havent seen a single article touting box sales for this expansion. If anything, I would wager people are voting with their wallet and it aint pretty. Chris Metzen is a good sign that shit is going in the right direction, but I think it would take the rest of DF to recover any semblance of good will. Even then, they'll never recover the amount of people they lost after BFA and SL's.

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Content cycles will determine the game. Hopefully we see a content patch before end of January but I severely doubt it.