World of Warcraft: Current Year

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
While some(myself included) dont find WoW raiding hard - i do agree it takes a bit of skill, but as pointed out youre just memorizing a pattern and following through. I am not sure MMOs are capable of adding randomizing effects into fights since that would be kind of ridiculous. Then again a fight being ridiculous would also make it more challenging since you'd never know when x effect or ability was coming and it had no timing to plan your cooldowns around.

At any rate WoW isnt hard, but its not easy for everyone either, it takes some skill and alot of common sense, which if you've ran any LFR you know that alot of people still do not have.

Zehnpai

Molten Core Raider
Man I check out the WoW thread after 2 months and we're having a semantics argument.

Some things never do change. <3

Gecko_sl

shitlord
While some(myself included) dont find WoW raiding hard - i do agree it takes a bit of skill, but as pointed out youre just memorizing a pattern and following through.
The definition of skill:
the ability to do something well; expertise.

You probably don't find it hard because you've done an awful lot of it. Raiding in WOW takes practice which does in my mind equal skill. Most things in life are simple, but only after you've done it over and over. Riding a bike is easy unless you are a six year old. Most people's jobs are easy now, but without the background it's hard and requires skill.

I am not sure MMOs are capable of adding randomizing effects into fights since that would be kind of ridiculous. .
The randomizer to me would be individual free player design ingame and PVP without cookie cutter class setups that are easy to know ahead of time.

The tech is there, but AAA companies do not want to empower players too much as that removes the need for them to buy scripted static content or pay subs.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The definition of skill:
the ability to do something well; expertise.

You probably don't find it hard because you've done an awful lot of it. Raiding in WOW takes practice which does in my mind equal skill. Most things in life are simple, but only after you've done it over and over. Riding a bike is easy unless you are a six year old. Most people's jobs are easy now, but without the background it's hard and requires skill.

The randomizer to me would be individual free player design ingame and PVP without cookie cutter class setups that are easy to know ahead of time.

The tech is there, but AAA companies do not want to empower players too much as that removes the need for them to buy scripted static content or pay subs.
Possibly, i dont find it hard, i find it boring after a while. The randomizing of encounters would be pretty cool but i could see it becoming a total pain after a while. They would need to have people not rely on cooldowns and such so much.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The primary skill of raiding is the skill of not reaching through the internet to choke your turret-casting raider who dies to fucking everything.

Tol_sl

shitlord
I wish the criteria for progressing forward past LFR was some sort of stat that's calculated based on standing in the fire. Like the accuracy stat on shooters, only it would be called idiocy.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I would say my biggest problem with WoW raiding is that for every 10 man thats able to complete normal, they have at least 1 person thats carrying them, pushing them, and helping them all succeed. Which is great and all for the other 9 people in that 10 man, but when mechanics start to really ramp up in Heroic where each person has to hold their own - then those 9 people are holding back that 1 instead. Ive been trapped in that situation more than once and I really just wish that there was an easier way to find a guild that matched my own skill level, near it, or would be willing to bring me up to their speed. I dont want to do an entire WoW progress report on each guild that has "potential", narrow down the list to people that are killing the same shit I am on my own, or a little ahead and then go through the next step to see if they are even recruiting. Which with WoW, if the guild you're looking at is downing shit they probably dont have an open spot their ranks to begin with. Its just to much of a fucking hassle for someone that doesnt want to lead a guild, or a be a raid leader all the time. (ie. I miss not having a raid size limit, and already knowing who the big dogs on the server were before I even hit max lvl.)

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I have no fucking clue how one person can carry the other nine through content. Way to put yourself on a pedestal though.
Management, strategy, etc, etc. In my old guild, basically, the officers team carried everyone else. It's a bit more than "one person", but basically, more than half the raid don't watch videos unless you embed them on the guild forum, don't research strategies unless you repost them with cleaner explanations, etc, etc. Half the preparation on fights would be placing lights on the ground, and someone in chat giving the go "move blue" "move orange"...

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
pretty simple. Design a quest for every class similar to the Warlock green fire quest. Perhaps scale back the gear check to requiring Heroic dungeon loot ilvl range. Make that the barrier of entry into LFR. That way anyone who isn't insanely familiar with their class / abilities / cd's / staying out of shit can't drag everyone else down with them.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
pretty simple. Design a quest for every class similar to the Warlock green fire quest. Perhaps scale back the gear check to requiring Heroic dungeon loot ilvl range. Make that the barrier of entry into LFR. That way anyone who isn't insanely familiar with their class / abilities / cd's / staying out of shit can't drag everyone else down with them.
But then you wouldn't need LFR; you'd just add a raid finder for normal and/or heroic.

Daidraco

I have no fucking clue how one person can carry the other nine through content. Way to put yourself on a pedestal though.
I did say "at least," and did specify leading a guild or being a raid leader at the end. Ukerric nailed it, in a more detailed manner for you though and I get the feeling he does, or has felt a similar way (so Im not alone..)

Really, I just got tired of carrying people towards the end of this expansion. The people that didnt care, followed by the drama from the people complaining about the people that didnt care just really just caused a game I enjoyed to be stressful for no fucking reason 9/10 times.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
I'm just tired of people in my MMO's lawl. As a long time PvE'er jumping into PvP even at this state in the game is really refreshing and fun.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Oh for the love of Pete...

LFR drops non-set awful graphic low ilevel items, then you create a series of quasi-daily progression quests similar to the legenedary cloak from MoP and which makes heavy use of the Garrison to upgrade both the quality and appearance of the LFR items.

This gives filthy casuals a good reason to log in more than once a week and additionally a method for more hardcore casuals who need very flexible schedules to have a path of progression.

Needless

Toe Sucker
Oh for the love of Pete...

LFR drops non-set awful graphic low ilevel items, then you create a series of quasi-daily progression quests similar to the legenedary cloak from MoP and which makes heavy use of the Garrison to upgrade both the quality and appearance of the LFR items.

This gives filthy casuals a good reason to log in more than once a week and additionally a method for more hardcore casuals who need very flexible schedules to have a path of progression.
Filthy casuals log in once a week for a reason, adding more casual shit they won't bother to do isn't remotely a good thing.

elvis_sl

shitlord
took my fresh 85 hunter to the timeless isle to get him a crystal of insanity. then hit the celestials with my dot before dying instantly to some aoe. got my 553 tier legs. good times <3

Daidraco

took my fresh 85 hunter to the timeless isle to get him a crystal of insanity. then hit the celestials with my dot before dying instantly to some aoe. got my 553 tier legs. good times <3
This is the State of the Game Address for the majority of the player base that never intends, or can, get past Normal Raids.