World of Warcraft: Current Year

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
When exactly did Metzen turn to complete and total shit? 2006 TBC?
Seems about right; when he gutted Sargeras lore.

Fuck this expansion, if they fucking bring TROLLS TOO I'm never resubbing. Years and years of Orc and Troll raids, now Gromm is the final boss of WoD just like Garrosh was the one for MoP, are you fucking kidding me with all this Orc bullshit?

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I get that trolls and orcs are getting kind of old, but the series has been around for 20 years or so and its always been about Orcs vs Humans. Yea, they have Burning Legion and Pandas and all that other shit but its never been the main story line for Warcraft. Those races have always complimented the Orc or Human story line. Warcraft 1 box cover says it all. Its like you want to play WoW but not.. WoW?

rrr_img_73826.jpg

Dumar_sl

shitlord
WoW is NOT that World of Warcraft. That link was severed long, long ago when WoW went to complete shit, both lore and gameplay-wise. Don't conflate the two.

To add to that, outside of the Burning legion, who exactly are supposed to be the antagonists on Draenor? I for one welcome the continued orc dominance, because frankly every other race aside from maybe the undead has no compelling/powerful antagonist(s) to actually carry an expansions worth of content.

Daidraco

WoW is NOT that World of Warcraft. That link was severed long, long ago when WoW went to complete shit, both lore and gameplay-wise. Don't conflate the two.
Well considering that line you're talking about was pretty linear and predictable, I dont know where a 10 year old MMO is suppose to go. Im sure that even you would be hard pressed to come up with lore that wasnt complete shit at some point or another. Metz and whoever else is in control of it are just kinda full of shit altogether.

To add to that, outside of the Burning legion, who exactly are supposed to be the antagonists on Draenor? I for one welcome the continued orc dominance, because frankly every other race aside from maybe the undead has no compelling/powerful antagonist(s) to actually carry an expansions worth of content.
Watch the brand new Cinematic, man. Or are you talking about a secondary antagonist?..

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Was personally hoping for an assault on the burning legion. Would be pretty dope to get more of the BC feel by extending it onto their world. Take some portal to Kil'Jaedens world or wherever and push their shit in. But I get how that would feel kinda lame possibly. That ORRRR finish the old gods up. My favorite lore by far for WoW is anything to do w/ the old gods. Was pretty disappointed when the old god raid out of Vash'Jir was cancelled. I don't consider Garrosh turning into a mutant as an old god themed raid. Actually FACING them is what I mean, a la Ulduar/AQ

I assume they're saving all the old 'good/unfinished' storylines up for when WoW seriously starts its downturn. Bliz has always been amazing at keeping an ace up their sleeve, and I really feel as though that older lore is being saved on purpose. I doubt 'Metzen is shit' so much as Corporate Bliz sitting on those goods.

rrr_img_73832.jpg

L%2527ghorek_body.jpg

Watch the brand new Cinematic, man. Or are you talking about a secondary antagonist?..
No. I know that the Burning legion is going to be the big bad either in person or behind the scenes as WoD progresses. I was just wondering how people are getting angry that the xpac is going to be orc centric considering the setting it is taking place in. Beyond that what else is their really for interesting antagonists in the current WoW setting. The humans have been returned to the heroic ideal with Wrynn settling down and being the just but firm King. The rest of the alliance races have no compelling villains left that I am aware of, unless they go with crazy night elves in the Emerald Dream. Same with the horde outside of possibly the undead trying to go completely WoTLK on everyone... but then isn't that just another rehash which is what people are complaining about? So regardless whether Blizz used Draenor or Azeroth there isn't anything new or interesting from a big bad standpoint unless they make up some new mythical land/plane out of whole cloth.

Daidraco

The whole expansion is going to be a rehash in some capacity, which I think was the goal of the team? Nostalgia and new content for those that didnt do it. There are thousands of loose ends across WoW, like you hinted at. But WoD is different, in that they have so many options when it comes to old content ideas.

What Im curious about, is if its a secondary time line and the rallying call quest to go into WoD is not actually in WoD - What other changes are we going to see in Azeroth from that time line? Are we going to see another version of Karazhan for some reason? (which may not be related to any of this shit, but is just a personal wish from that time period haha)

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Was personally hoping for an assault on the burning legion. Would be pretty dope to get more of the BC feel by extending it onto their world. Take some portal to Kil'Jaedens world or wherever and push their shit in. But I get how that would feel kinda lame possibly. That ORRRR finish the old gods up. My favorite lore by far for WoW is anything to do w/ the old gods. Was pretty disappointed when the old god raid out of Vash'Jir was cancelled. I don't consider Garrosh turning into a mutant as an old god themed raid. Actually FACING them is what I mean, a la Ulduar/AQ

I assume they're saving all the old 'good/unfinished' storylines up for when WoW seriously starts its downturn. Bliz has always been amazing at keeping an ace up their sleeve, and I really feel as though that older lore is being saved on purpose. I doubt 'Metzen is shit' so much as Corporate Bliz sitting on those goods.

rrr_img_73832.jpg

L%2527ghorek_body.jpg
What's the bottom pic?

That is one of the sea things you went in to during cata, I can't remember exactly what they were called. They aren't evil though, in fact you were rescuing them from the Shadow Cultists in Vash'jer.

@Daidraco

I would love a Kharazan revamp in some form or another. So many great raiding memories in that place. Like when our lock used seed of destruction for the first time on the satyr boss, I don't think I ever laughed harder during a raid.

Tauntworth

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What Im curious about, is if its a secondary time line and the rallying call quest to go into WoD is not actually in WoD - What other changes are we going to see in Azeroth from that time line? Are we going to see another version of Karazhan for some reason? (which may not be related to any of this shit, but is just a personal wish from that time period haha)
Watch, this whole expansion is an excuse for a clean slate, driven by the timeline idea. This whole new timeline is going to usher in a reboot for WoW 2, secretly codenamed 'Titan'

Chris

Potato del Grande
Rehash is all they have left now, for the guy asking for Argus next expansion you'd be better off not having it.

They ruined the Elemental Planes/Emerald Dream Expansion with the shite that was Cataclysm, then rewrote everything about the South Seas expansion to be Pandaria (although I thought it was fine actually). So this is probably your rewritten and ruined Argus expansion that'll kill off the Legion big bads at the end to make Argus not worth going to anymore.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Im pretty sure that Blizzard has no actual lead content developers that play on the Alliance side. Metzen being blatantly Horde-aligned is well known and painfully obvious, but in each expansion it seems as if they frame out the Horde version of the story first and only then sketch out alliance bits that can fit in place of the stuff that can't be neutral and shared.

When WoD was announced and people said "ummm yeah orcs...yay" Blizzard countered that it was "of Draenor" and that there would be substantial Draenei storyline and that the Warlords in question were not only orcs as there were actively two sides to the story. (Despite every piece of promotional material at that time showing nothing but orcs) Flash forward to the current Beta and playing through the Alliance side is just terrible storytelling.

Shadowmoon Valley is pretty much Gilneas 2.0 as we are introduced to something that is visually striking but rapidly turns to complete shit and is utterly destroyed when we leave never to return. From that point on the entire Alliance story is pretty much following breadcrumbs so that the Alliance character can end up in the same place where the Horde storyline goes. While the game has always been more about loot than plot for the majority of players the story simply makes no sense from the Alliance point of view and you really don't get the feel of being the hero. At least in Pandaria you had a sense that you were the major representative sent to explore and understand this strange new land. In Draenor it feels like you are just kinda there, especially terrible when you play Draenei character who in principle should have some degree of emotional investment in what is going on.

I understand that the expansion is over three months late from their original release target and that development on this expansion has been problematic at best, but after Pandaria it really feels phoned in and very Cataclysm-like.