World of Warcraft: Current Year

wanand

Bronze Knight of the Realm
rrr_img_82178.jpg

This is what I enjoy at every quest hub

axeman_sl

shitlord
I tried flying to my garrison and my gryphon just stopped in mid-air over Shadowmoon Valley. I've been stuck here for half an hour now. It won't let me log out, and if I alt+f4, I'll be thrown into a 2h queue. I can't do anythning, I can't even queue for dungeons. Sigh.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Two things that would've made this launch much easier:

1) Make the fucking quest givers WALK AROUND. 400 people with Mammoth mounts can't stay on top blocking it.
2) 'Dezone' people. There's already the technology for cross realm, why not instead of having 400 people in one zone you split them up in 4 instances of 100 each?

Blizzard fails, 10 years making this game, keeps making the same rookie mistakes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah fuck blizzard and their rookie mistakes, it's not like they're the most successful MMO of all time or anything

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
There's a hard limit to how many 'instances' of zones they can have, limited by their hardware. You can bet they have top of the line hardware, and it is provisioned in such a way that during normal business loads it handles the playerbase without a hitch. When suddenly that number skyrockets to 500% (or more), there are going to be problems. There is no financially feasible way for Blizzard to provision such an increase in hardware for a few days of inconvenience. As for NPC's walking around, I am willing to bet people would work around that.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Wait a minute; it didn't 'Suddenly' skyrocket; you fucking provision it for a launch. And yes you can, jeez; do you even work in tech? Take for example Amazon Web Services, you can go from 1 instance to 1000 in three seconds, and only have those up and running for 24 hours.

And yes, they are not AWS nor use it, but the technology to deploy 'surge' instances of VM is even open source!

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I've seen this argument trotted out so many times re: poor performance on launch days. Do you guys who argue how easy this is really think that Blizzard or [other company here] are just oblivious and that all you arm-chair devs could have solved this problem in your head which somehow befuddled all of Bliz's engineers? That its really as simple as paying Amazon some chump change for extra server time?

Or, perhaps, its far more likely that a team of people paid far more than you ran cost-benefit analysis and decided on their method armed with some solid research and analysis?

EDIT: Obviously no company is going to come out with an official statement along the lines of: ("Yes, d-day will suck dicks for all involved players but it will quickly clear up as the playerbase spreads themselves out. Just like every other launch day ever. This is the most expedient way for us to handle the problem because purchasing scaling hardware specifically for 12-36 hours is a waste of fucking time, effort, and money. We know that people will rabble about this but they're hopeless addicts and will quickly forget their launch-day woes as they get into the business of enjoying themselves throughout the weekend.")

But that's what they think.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
People arguing that Blizz know what they are doing and are on top of the tech - why do you think they are making the best choices there when their in game decisions about funneling people into the expansion, early zones quests etc are so dumb ?

Rombo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Wait a minute; it didn't 'Suddenly' skyrocket; you fucking provision it for a launch. And yes you can, jeez; do you even work in tech? Take for example Amazon Web Services, you can go from 1 instance to 1000 in three seconds, and only have those up and running for 24 hours.

And yes, they are not AWS nor use it, but the technology to deploy 'surge' instances of VM is even open source!
Funny thing is, dude, after 10 years of WoW youre still expecting day 1 of a fresh expension to be trouble free. I could understand its a major sandy vagina issue for you if you were aiming for server first lvl 100. Otherwise, wait a week my man.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
You guys act like this shit isn't going to clear up after a couple of weeks. Maybe they should load up more servers for 2 weeks while people level and then the next 2 years they can go to waste when people are sitting on their dicks waiting to raid the same zone for a year.

Do you fuckers bitch that water is wet and the sky is blue as well? Because launch day of expansions in WoW have been the same every time.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
All this rush to get through the content and we'll still probably end up sitting around with nothing to do for months and months as we wait for the next content patches. To quote the Pandaran: "Slow down!"

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Funny thing is, dude, after 10 years of WoW youre still expecting day 1 of a fresh expension to be trouble free. I could understand its a major sandy vagina issue for you if you were aiming for server first lvl 100. Otherwise, wait a week my man.
Will they compensate me for a week? I want to buy a happy meal.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Well, I'm playing a lowlevel twink and cross-realm-zoning with a second account to an underpopulated (roleplaying) server pool--and I get loot and sell lags like its 2004. So I guess they underestimated the load garrisons would have on their databases.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've seen this argument trotted out so many times re: poor performance on launch days. Do you guys who argue how easy this is really think that Blizzard or [other company here] are just oblivious and that all you arm-chair devs could have solved this problem in your head which somehow befuddled all of Bliz's engineers? That its really as simple as paying Amazon some chump change for extra server time?

Or, perhaps, its far more likely that a team of people paid far more than you ran cost-benefit analysis and decided on their method armed with some solid research and analysis?

EDIT: Obviously no company is going to come out with an official statement along the lines of: ("Yes, d-day will suck dicks for all involved players but it will quickly clear up as the playerbase spreads themselves out. Just like every other launch day ever. This is the most expedient way for us to handle the problem because purchasing scaling hardware specifically for 12-36 hours is a waste of fucking time, effort, and money. We know that people will rabble about this but they're hopeless addicts and will quickly forget their launch-day woes as they get into the business of enjoying themselves throughout the weekend.")

But that's what they think.
Yes, we shouldn't criticize Blizzard because all the teams of engineers decided not giving a fuck is the correct course of action.