World of Warcraft: Current Year

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Alright so I hit 100 on my warrior last night. So I guess my question is now what? I was planning on finishing off any quest lines but I wasn't sure about the progression from there. Are all the dungeon instances for the most part similar? What ilvl does my gear need to be to tank the dungeons on normal and heroic?
Not sure of your Nagrand progression, but stop whatever you are doing, build a Dwarven War Mill (or horde equivilent), and then finish out the rares, quests, and proving grounds. You can hope for some random epic upgrades which can help quite a bit.

Go do the epic ring quest if you haven't.

When you are done with all of that you should be around ilvl 600 - 610. I started heroics right around 610 and they could be dicey if the group didn't CC. It really depends on the heroic, some are worse than others (Grimrail...). However, after 2 - 3 pieces of good upgrades you will feel much better.

If you are too squishy, do normal dungeons for a while until you get better itemized gear. You are a tank so you get the luxury of instant queuing and gearing is pretty easy. Just know the fights or at least shift+j.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm having a great time with this expansion. Do some of you really obsess over getting every single piece of treasure in every zone on every character? If that's the case I can totally see why you'd be having a bad case of the AIDS.

Fuck that, I haven't even done that on my main. I just got the key things and followers I needed and now I produce so much GR/daily cooldown that I don't even need to go hunting for more. Although I might do that sometime. Still leveling up the monk and DK.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
The only way you're swimming in GR is if you have both lumber mill and trading post, and do not have a war mill/bunker. That in turn means you don't have either an inn or a barn, which is not how most people build their garrison if they want it to be optimized.

That said, the current state of the bunker rank 2 and barn rank 3 work orders are so fucking retarded that you haven't gimped yourself as much as you would have if they had been designed by someone reasonable.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I have Lumber Mill/War Mill and Tavern. I have had zero GR shortages. I tend to break even/make GR profit from missions alone. I do not use the barn. I hear that stables also makes a good amount of GR but I wont be building one until my alts get lvled up. Made a ton selling darkmoon cards for the past two weeks so that was cool too.

Excellent start to an expansion.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm always GR strapped. I have no clue how I'm going to drum up the 2k required to upgrade to level 3. Though I suppose I've only been subbed since Tuesday or Wednesday and GR are pretty calendar based.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I'm always GR strapped. I have no clue how I'm going to drum up the 2k required to upgrade to level 3. Though I suppose I've only been subbed since Tuesday or Wednesday and GR are pretty calendar based.
Just make sure you're always running the GR yielding missions. I find that lumber mill is easier to feed than the trading post. But I will try trading post on my alt. I got a lot of GR treasures in Nagrand and Spires (but far from all of them). Daily random gets you a bunch too. Its definitely a time-gate thing. So you can't poopsock your way out of it. Keep that in mind and its quite enjoyable. Took me like 1.5 weeks to get lvl 100 and up until yesterday to get ilvl 630 and I'll still be enjoying the raid tomorrow.

Slow is steady and steady is fast, as they say.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
Finish hunting named (they drop some GR) and there are some items that give more (125 within 30 seconds of each other in talador for example).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have Lumber Mill/War Mill and Tavern. I have had zero GR shortages. I tend to break even/make GR profit from missions alone. I do not use the barn. I hear that stables also makes a good amount of GR but I wont be building one until my alts get lvled up. Made a ton selling darkmoon cards for the past two weeks so that was cool too.

I was hurting a bit starting barn instead of LM or trading post but now I have my trading post up and cranking away and mannaged to get leeroy jenkins who is a salvager with more useful mission counter in addition to my other salvager I am getting 2 or 300 GR a day from garrison missions so they are more than paying for themselves.

I have not started cranking away with my war mill yet because I still have a few things I want to push to rank three before doing that.

One grumble I have is holy crap raising your rep with the trading post faction is ASS. The only thing I can find that raises it is straight grind farming all of the things. Plus side I guess is at least I found some mobs that drop the black iron scraps so I can rep up my bodyguard, shatt'ari defense and stuff for war mill transmog looks at the same time but sheesh. Well I guess the other upside was murdering ALL of the things to get to friendly also unlocked my first garrison invasion.

Tenks

Just make sure you're always running the GR yielding missions. I find that lumber mill is easier to feed than the trading post. But I will try trading post on my alt. I got a lot of GR treasures in Nagrand and Spires (but far from all of them). Daily random gets you a bunch too. Its definitely a time-gate thing. So you can't poopsock your way out of it. Keep that in mind and its quite enjoyable. Took me like 1.5 weeks to get lvl 100 and up until yesterday to get ilvl 630 and I'll still be enjoying the raid tomorrow.

I've had my lumber mill humming for a while now. I think the issue is all my stuff got upgraded as well. I have mines, lumber mill, forge, salvage yard and barracks all at level 2. Iirc upgrading the barracks cost me 900 GR and I can't even find the bodyguard fucker to assign him to myself anywhere in my garrison!

Getting truesteel bars is a pain in the ass as well. Not sure why they gated it at crafting 1 per day.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider

Pretty much what he said always prioritize completion of the follower missions that give GR if you have any follower with scavenging use them always for these. If you have an inn and don't have a follower with scavenging use your head hunter and get one. I make a ton of GR from sending leeroy jenkins and my other scavenger on those missions even if they fail from time to time the +200% they get more than makes up for it.

Early on the LM is easier to feed later on both are pretty equal once you get the herb garden and mine cranking away its pretty easy to feed. At worst you wind up trading gold for GR and that conversion is pretty much always worth doing given how fast money comes in.

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've had my lumber mill humming for a while now. I think the issue is all my stuff got upgraded as well. I have mines, lumber mill, forge, salvage yard and barracks all at level 2. Iirc upgrading the barracks cost me 900 GR and I can't even find the bodyguard fucker to assign him to myself anywhere in my garrison!

Getting truesteel bars is a pain in the ass as well. Not sure why they gated it at crafting 1 per day.
One super easy body guard to get is tommok in gorgand. He is just a bit north and west of the bastion rise flight path in the far southern tip of the zone. Its a weird mini event he starts as a red mob but unhittable and he is getting attacked by those botani things. If you keep him alive and beat the attackers he becomes green and if you talk to him he then offers a quest. Accept the quest and you get him as a blue quality minimum follower/body guard. Another follower who I tend to use is the shadow priest bird from spires of arak you get him just following all the story lines there.

Oh also note if you get your smithy to rank 2 and put a follower in it you can get extra truesteel bars per combine and as you raise in level you get more when you do your daily combine as well. The closer to level 100 your follower and you are the better the chance at getting up to I believe double the resources.

Tenks

I've got a bodyguard. Some warlock dude. I just can't seem to find him anywhere in my garrison since assigning him to the barracks. I'll probably un-assign him and put someone else there today. And I made sure to hunt down the weaponsmith follower once I got the forge to 2. I've heard that the closer to 100 the follower the better but she's only 92 I think and every time I've gotten 2 bars from my work orders now. Not sure if just extreme luck or if the difference isn't that huge between her level and 100 for the bonus.

I do need to make it priority to hunt down some more followers though now that I'm 100

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Very few rank 3 blueprint achievements done? Followers not L100+ because you're only cherry picking the GR missions? There's definitely something missing there, because it's simply not possible to keep up with fully upgrading a rank 3 garrison while powerleveling followers without lumber+post+rares/treasures. I've got one GR building, I've done 80+% of the rares/treasures, and I've stopped pissing away GR on the bunker's work orders, and I have a 3+ building queue waiting for enough GR to start construction on my main and even longer ones on my two alts. Each large building costs 2100 GR to go from rank 1 to rank 3, mediums are 900 each, for a total of 6000 GR to upgrade all four to max. 1800 more if you do the smalls as well, though that's not always necessary. And that's assuming you designed your garrison perfectly from the start and didn't get fooled by the beta guides that all recommended stupid shit.

Edit: Best follower is Leorajh imo. He's a resto shaman that heals you when you're under 50% and does decent damage the rest of the time. And he's a cat-man who rides a skeletal raptor like a boss. Hard to explain how to get to him, so if you don't have him do a search on wowhead for details. As for using them, when you assign them to the rank 2+ barracks they will be standing right outside the door waiting for you to tell them to join you.

And re: truesteel, it's not one a day, the daily cd is 4 at 1-599 skill, scaling all the way to 10 at 700 skill. Unfortunately there's no way to level blacksmithing much past 600 without spending truesteel, which is another example of retarded design. You also get 6-12 a day from your work orders, 6 being no follower assigned and 12 being with a L100 follower assigned.

Speaking of followers, anyone know if there's still any sploit spots left for gaining rep with them? I missed out on the squirrels, and just playing normally I only just barely ranked my Leorajh up once and it's going to take for-fucking-ever to max him out since I have no interest in doing faction grinds or even bothering with the godawful apexis dailies anymore.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I use Leorjah for my bodyguard. You're probably trying to use Aeda whateverthefuck. My bodyguard stands right in front of the Barracks when I've assigned them to it.

And kaid thanks for reminding me! I still need to get Tommok... and a Scavenger bro. I have like 5 epic followers so my dream team is coming together. Most of them are sitting at ilvl 610 and i have a lot more upgrades for them so I can upgrade them all at the same time. Lokra has been my most useful one so far though. She has so many good counters.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider

The daily cooldown gives 4-6 bars (depending on BS skill). The work orders give 1 (2 if you have a lvl 100 BS assigned, I still need to get that one).
To assign a bodyguard, go to gazlowe (where you upgrade buildings) click on the barracks and next to the picture in the top left will be a +, click that and assign the follower.
Then go to the barracks and they should be there, talk to them to get them.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Very few rank 3 blueprint achievements done? Followers not L100+ because you're only cherry picking the GR missions? There's definitely something missing there, because it's simply not possible to keep up with fully upgrading a rank 3 garrison while powerleveling followers without lumber+post+rares/treasures. I've got one GR building, I've done 80+% of the rares/treasures, and I've stopped pissing away GR on the bunker's work orders, and I have a 3+ building queue waiting for enough GR to start construction on my main and even longer ones on my two alts. Each large building costs 2100 GR to go from rank 1 to rank 3, mediums are 900 each, for a total of 6000 GR to upgrade all four to max. 1800 more if you do the smalls as well, though that's not always necessary. And that's assuming you designed your garrison perfectly from the start and didn't get fooled by the beta guides that all recommended stupid shit.
Yeah you must play considerably more than I do. I have not unlocked all lvl 3 garrison buildings yet. But I am close and I am not worrying about it at all either. I'll probably unlock them sometime this week and build them as needed. I am not really trying to optimize for shit because I do not play like that... or care.

Expac's been out like two weeks man. Relax about it.