World of Warcraft: Current Year

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I think the weakness, such as it is, with the WoD model is that in the past people could log in on the weekend queue up for dungeons and scenarios ad nauseum and grind through a whole mess of quests and whatnot to get their Valor max of the week in a big binge. Later they could do something similar with a bunch of overlapping LFR queues.

Right now the absolute main path to upgrades and improvements involves the Garrison which is not an activity that can be timeshifted into a gaming binge. Sure you can queue up a couple days worth of workorders for your buildings if you already have a minimum threshold of things already accomplished but you can't manage your followers unless you pop online for a couple mins every few hours.

The game is now meant to log in, doing some Garrison stuff and a dungeon, then log out. However I find myself doing small things several times a day and probably getting a bit more entertainment out of it as a result.
Exactly this. I really like the new design. As, like most of us, my playtime is far more limited than it used to be and I have a lot of other hobbies I like to do. But overall I am having a blast doing stuff, going through content slowly. Getting achievements and just having fun. The changes, for players like myself, are fantastic, and despite all of this I am still able to do normal raids and whatnot. Maybe I'll do heroic raids eventually. But what's the rush?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I played WoW last year right after SOO released and I don't remember there being much of substance other than kill celestials / clear SOO weekly. I don't know what you're expecting here -- what could Blizzard add to keep you entertained 4+ hours a day that isn't a ridiculous grind for their majority playerbase? Either the reward is trivial and you'd feel dumb "wasting your time" on it, or the reward would be serious, and the 90 percent of their players who don't play 4+ hours a day would be cranky.

I get your point: you want to play a fuckton and be rewarded for time spent. Do you really think that's Blizzard's design goal right now, though? Do you think it should be?
I agree with you for the most part, but the content that actually is there to try to pad out the time you can spend on the game is just so poorly designed that it's still frustrating.

Reps other than CoE/Frostwolves are already a ridiculous grind for their majority playerbase. I'm glad they don't give anything of real value so I don't have to bother with that bullshit, but still... why even put content like that in the game at this point? 5000 (Arakkoa) to 8500 kills (Trade Post) is fucking absurd. I can't even force myself to max out a single follower on one of my characters without using some exploit spot, let alone doing something as batshit insane as maxing them all on all characters. The same goes for apexis crystals. The armor you buy with them is so ridiculously overpriced that there's simply no point in bothering, and making the followers, mounts etc. cost 5k/50k gold on top of the apexis cost is straight up retarded. I do a couple dailies a week at most and spend them on my seals.

As for garrisons, the problem there (other than the barn and bunker) is still mission design. You go from mission overload which requires micromanagement every 30-90 minutes to having no missions worth doing at all. While I'm usually a fan of seeing micromanagement go away as there's nothing I hate more in gaming, the problem is that you get cut off from salvage boxes, and it's extremely hard to level new level 90 followers gained at the inn. Integrating garrison management in the b.net app would alleviate a lot of the problem, but it's not something I expect to see implemented anytime soon, if ever. And even that wouldn't fix the broken mission-selection algorithm they currently use.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
I agree with you for the most part, but the content that actually is there to try to pad out the time you can spend on the game is just so poorly designed that it's still frustrating.

Reps other than CoE/Frostwolves are already a ridiculous grind for their majority playerbase. I'm glad they don't give anything of real value so I don't have to bother with that bullshit, but still... why even put content like that in the game at this point? 5000 (Arakkoa) to 8500 kills (Trade Post) is fucking absurd. I can't even force myself to max out a single follower on one of my characters without using some exploit spot, let alone doing something as batshit insane as maxing them all on all characters. The same goes for apexis crystals. The armor you buy with them are so ridiculously overpriced that there's simply no point in bothering, and making the followers, mounts etc. cost 5k/50k gold on top of the apexis cost is straight up retarded. I do a couple dailies a week at most and spend them on my seals.

As for garrisons, the problem there (other than the barn and bunker) is still mission design. You go from mission overload which requires micromanagement every 30-90 minutes to having no missions worth doing at all. While I'm usually a fan of seeing micromanagement go away as there's nothing I hate more in gaming, the problem is that you get cut off from salvage boxes, and it's extremely hard to level new level 90 followers gained at the inn. Integrating garrison management in the b.net app would alleviate a lot of the problem, but it's not something I expect to see implemented anytime soon, if ever. And even that wouldn't fix the broken mission-selection algorithm they current use.
Pretty much all of this.

And 2 days worth of work orders at the fucking Bunker for a bunch of scraps and nothing else needs to be changed STAT!

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The follower mission person in the Garrison on Alliance side is Gilnean but you wouldn't know it since she is in human form.

Surprised they don't add a Gilneas architecture section to Stormwind at least. Rather absurd given that the goblins have pretty much been ubiquitous for the horde since Cata even to the extent of displacing the older Horde races. You could be forgiven for remembering that Tauren and Undead exist for example.
There are quite a few undead themed quest hubs throughout expansions although I don't recall one from pandaria but prior to that they were pretty well represented. Taurens had a lot in the old world but not as many going forward. Worgen had one area and that area was destroyed and inaccessible after the intro quests. They have one tiny hub somwhere near the blasted lands if I remember correctly and I think thats about it.

Hell the goblins have an entire zone for themselves and all the other races have pretty big capitals. Gnomes were previously somewhat ignored although there have traditionally been quite a few gnome quest hubs and now have a demi home city with the entry areas of gnomeregan retaken. Worgen though get nothing even in their "home city" they are just living in elf trees so not even their own enclave shows their architecture.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Don't forget Goblins are and have always been fairly well represented in this game. You can hardly go to a zone without seeing Goblin NPCs and a lot of zones even have tiny goblin questing areas. With that shitty weird theme song and everything.

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Horde has gotten the two well known expansions races. Blood elves and goblins both going to horde was kinda bs when alliance gets drainos and worgen. Prior to this expac draeni were pretty ignored too, and even now their lore is still pretty stupid and hamfisted.

The goblins turning azshara into one of the worst cataclysm signature hurrdurr comedy zones that helped make that xpac so awful just makes it worse. It was such a cool frontier zone before.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
That's where you would grind out your last 5-10 levels in Vanilla at launch on those fucking gryphons before they nerfed them.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
That's where you would grind out your last 5-10 levels in Vanilla at launch on those fucking gryphons before they nerfed them.
I remember that. I remember my rogue friend doing it in 1/4th the time it took my enhance shaman. I was salty about that.

Malkav

French Madman
God I hate fucking undercutters.

Bought cards for a Knight's Badge to sell for a profit after the un-nerf, except an asshole started selling like 6 of them, actively undercutting everyone every damn five minutes.

The shit went from 20K+ at the AH to 10K in about less than 48 hours.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Note to self, never post anything in the wow forums. I posted this earlier under the title "Bring back reforging."

Maybe I'm a vocal minority - but I can't think of a single good or compelling reason why reforging was removed from the game.

"Item diversity!?!"

Right. Because secondary stats make the game feel more diverse and interesting (hint, it really doesn't). I know I LOVE getting gear that artificially inflates my ilvl while making my dps plummet. Gone is the feeling of "YES! warforged raid gear - my character is really progressing!1111. That has been replaced with, YES warforged. CRAP - haste/vers, etc etc. Guess I'll equip it because lvls and stuff.

The problem is, there is MAYBE only 1-2 pieces per raid zone (ie the ENTIRE RAID) that are itemized correctly for each class/spec. I can't help but feel like this change was merely a way for Blizzard to GREATLY hinder gearing chars, and thus artificially extending the time spent per raid zone. Its lazy, and bad development. There were ALWAYS bis trinkets, weps etc before, but you were able to at least make the good gear better, the bad gear reasonable and were always able to stay competitive. Sometimes a great idea isn't as great as initially judged when put to practice - this is one of those times. In an effort to "keep pieces unique", they've essentially killed any and all excitement I personally have when receiving loot.

/rantoff

Vitality

HUSTLE
God I hate fucking undercutters.

Bought cards for a Knight's Badge to sell for a profit after the un-nerf, except an asshole started selling like 6 of them, actively undercutting everyone every damn five minutes.

The shit went from 20K+ at the AH to 10K in about less than 48 hours.
Market is flooded because everyone with an inscription building can make them.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
And I'm glad they removed hit/exp caps, haste thresholds etc - but don't replace that shit with straight up TERRIBLE secondary stats. A 655 piece of gear should ALWAYS be better than 630 heroic, end of discussion. Always. Yet, here we are with a system where that is simply not true and will never be true. A well rolled set of heroic gear is much better dps than a set of raid gear with all the wrong secondary stats, and that is a huge problem. It probably won't get anyones attention until the LFR derps start seeing their dps go down while their ilvl shoots up. Sometimes blizzard thinks they're too clever for their own good.

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
Reps other than CoE/Frostwolves are already a ridiculous grind for their majority playerbase. I'm glad they don't give anything of real value so I don't have to bother with that bullshit, but still... why even put content like that in the game at this point? 5000 (Arakkoa) to 8500 kills (Trade Post) is fucking absurd.
The reps are only bad if you try to solo them, which is definitely a terrible idea. I'm exalted with 3/4 of the draenor reps, and each only only took a few hours. For both council of exarchs and arakoa, a group of 5 of us just mass aoe pulled the elite areas of socrethars rise and skettis. Each rep took maybe 4 hours total of grinding like that, an evening a piece.

Shataari defense (the trading post rep) was even easier, even though it starts from 0 due to no quests. Our group of 5 went to the orc fort in northern talador, with the huge groups of elite mobs that respawn in about 90 seconds. Me as a tank pulled huge packs, and we rotated charges of artillery strike (garrison ability) to blow up the pull for ~600 rep per pull. Shataari defense took maybe 3 hours to max, from 0.

Again, the reps are very easy if done in a group, but terrible if you are trying to solo grind them. Try the group finder if you don't have a group of friends to help.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I keep meaning to start up rep grinds but something more engaging always comes up heh. Have a couple into Revered at least others are both Honored I believe.