World of Warcraft: Current Year

DavivMcD

Peasant
Garrisons really don't affect leveling characters all that much if you're actually leveling them. You will get more resources just picking up treasure in zones as you level, and any resources you get can quickly evaporate if you try to build your base up too much. Definitely grab an enchanting hut and any other prof for small, and a trading post for medium. Lumber yard is nice but requires too much work for lazy players like me, and the trading post is a money making machine if you keep an eye on market prices and the current vendor. I like to get a bunker (war mill) for the ilvl bumps while leveling, but don't get it until you have a good chunk of spare resources. Upgrade your mine and herb garden to their max asap, they can be tedious but give a steady supply of income and XP if you're active.

Oh and about those books you get at the end of major questlines that you can trade for blueprints: You don't have to pick a building right away to make use of them. The blueprints sell to vendors for the same price they cost, so I usually just consider those quests as a 1k gold or whatever bonus, and I buy blueprints later at my own pace.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So bored now, WoW just needs to implement its own account selling function much like how they do tokens - take a bit off the top and call it a day.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Have 3 dudes leveling up, and built an Inn on the first one for the medium, and probably going trading post on the other.

All a learning experience, but I'm leveling pretty quick when I do level, and alts will actively get leveled, and not just sit in Garrison for months, so I figured I can set them all up for money making.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Oh and about those books you get at the end of major questlines that you can trade for blueprints: You don't have to pick a building right away to make use of them. The blueprints sell to vendors for the same price they cost, so I usually just consider those quests as a 1k gold or whatever bonus, and I buy blueprints later at my own pace.
Their main advantage is they break the level requirement rules for plans, so, for example, you can build a level 2 barracks as soon as you finish the quest line and have a bodyguard instead of waiting for level 98 before you can get one.

Sterling

El Presidente
Their main advantage is they break the level requirement rules for plans, so, for example, you can build a level 2 barracks as soon as you finish the quest line and have a bodyguard instead of waiting for level 98 before you can get one.
This sums it up pretty well.

Downhammer

Vyemm Raider
I would add that unless you're actually using your small plots to craft gear, go do the salvage yard quest chain in south spires as soon as you hit 96. This will greatly increase your ability to raise follower ilvl which in turn unlocks the bigger GR, gold, and gear missions. A couple 630 followers will unlock 645 gear missions that can help you skip directly into lfr.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
I would add that unless you're actually using your small plots to craft gear, go do the salvage yard quest chain in south spires as soon as you hit 96. This will greatly increase your ability to raise follower ilvl which in turn unlocks the bigger GR, gold, and gear missions. A couple 630 followers will unlock 645 gear missions that can help you skip directly into lfr.
The salvage yard crates do not yield tokens until it's level 2, so you need to upgrade it asap. You need level 100 followers to gear them, though. When you're starting from scratch, it takes about 9-10 days (at a morning/evening mission sending rythm) to get your initial batch of followers to 100. Once you have a couple of epic 100 followers, it's a lot faster to level since they'll carry you thru big 10/12/15k XP bonus missions which, even at 10%, are good xp.

Note that you can't use that gear until you're actually 100. All the 615/630/645 equipment tokens require level 100 to convert into gear. However, having a stock of tokens means you can get geared quickly. Get your 630 crafted weapon (AH or level 3 building), 630-645 tokens, and you probably don't even need to finish Nagrand questline to qualify for LFR.

If you're actively leveling and following the various questlines, you don't really need an Inn:

- 9 followers from starting zone
- 4 followers from Gorgrond
- 5 followers from Talador
- 5 followers from Spires of Arak

That's 3 more than you can have until a level 3 barracks. I'd skip the Taylor garrison questline (get Taylor's ghost or some undead dude depending on faction) unless you want an Inscription follower, Leorajh from his cavern, and the Arakkoa that requires finishing the zone.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Leorajh is the easiest follower to get with group heal ability, at least for Horde. Why skip him?

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
The salvage yard crates do not yield tokens until it's level 2, so you need to upgrade it asap. You need level 100 followers to gear them, though. When you're starting from scratch, it takes about 9-10 days (at a morning/evening mission sending rythm) to get your initial batch of followers to 100. Once you have a couple of epic 100 followers, it's a lot faster to level since they'll carry you thru big 10/12/15k XP bonus missions which, even at 10%, are good xp.

Note that you can't use that gear until you're actually 100. All the 615/630/645 equipment tokens require level 100 to convert into gear. However, having a stock of tokens means you can get geared quickly. Get your 630 crafted weapon (AH or level 3 building), 630-645 tokens, and you probably don't even need to finish Nagrand questline to qualify for LFR.

If you're actively leveling and following the various questlines, you don't really need an Inn:

- 9 followers from starting zone
- 4 followers from Gorgrond
- 5 followers from Talador
- 5 followers from Spires of Arak

That's 3 more than you can have until a level 3 barracks. I'd skip the Taylor garrison questline (get Taylor's ghost or some undead dude depending on faction) unless you want an Inscription follower, Leorajh from his cavern, and the Arakkoa that requires finishing the zone.
The inn howerver is very nice for the extra cash income from it and the head hunter. You can find tons of followers in the starting zones but the inn is very useful to pick up some specific options like treasure hunting/scavenging. You will probably want a couple scavengers and honestly 3 or 4 treasure hunters over time. My treasure hunters are going a long way to making Wow totally free to play for me. Between my three level 100s I probably make 4k or so a week doing nothing but their nightly treasure mission run and some weeks it is much more than that. Garrisons cost a bunch to get them up and running but once you have the right buildings like a maxed inn up and cooking they generate an absurd amount of gold.

Also unless you are working on the body guard rep achivement I would tend to avoid stocking up on the full batch of them. Get one maybe two at most but really body guards all waste a trait with the body guard skill so in general if you are just using them to run missions they will in general be worse than any other follower with three full mission usable traits.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What is the state of warlocks? They were like the OP class of Pandaria, were they not? I had to laugh at the swarm of fresh ilvl 483 Warlocks popping up in Timeless Isle after the WoD pre-order dropped. That combined with reports of 1 million + crits on raids, and the frenzy was real. With the stat squish, we won't see that again for a really long while, but curious what's up with them these days?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Basically we have 0 warlocks in the guild and would suck someone's dick if they rolled one. Like every single guild member would line up in a row and suck that person's dick in rapid succession to completion each time.

They're pretty good and their utility is nice. They aren't kings like they used to be, but Blizzard loves warlocks so it won't be long.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I find myself reaching the point where progression isn't doing it for me anymore.

Burnout is about to set in then I'll end up moving my DK back to horde side hyjal to just do the saturday runs for enjoyment.

Anyone still pushing mythics enjoying it? Any word on when we get a new raid zone? Foundry is about done for me.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
You guys get your tank situation fixed?

I'm guessing within 2 months the server restrictions on mythic will be lifted completely.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
The inn howerver is very nice for the extra cash income from it and the head hunter.
Yes, but that's not really during levelling. The treasure missions require level 100 and unlocking (if that's your first Inn) thru a series of heroic dungeons (I don't think there's enough non heroic dungeon quests to get the required 10). And if you're leveling regularly, then you're going to get 100 and have 20+ followers within 2 to 3 weeks in the most casual cases.

The real question is not if you're going to build an Inn. The Inn is exceedingly useful later on, to recruit additional followers if you have a bad luck and can't ensure a 100% chance on all raid missions, and then those treasure hunters and scavengers. And the treasure missions. But while leveling, you don't need the Inn, and so, you may use a trading post or lumberyard for extra ressources, which will help you to have enough GR to finish your garrison once you ding 100.

Also unless you are working on the body guard rep achivement I would tend to avoid stocking up on the full batch of them. Get one maybe two at most but really body guards all waste a trait with the body guard skill so in general if you are just using them to run missions they will in general be worse than any other follower with three full mission usable traits.
Either the dwarf/forsaken you get during the intro quests (if you want extra dps) or the tanky type in Talador will do (if you're a squishy caster). You can forget or disable the rest.

PS: I always cracks me that the tank Paladin draenei ends up with... the warlock ability from her equivalent in the horde. There's a lot in that expansion that was done for one path, then filler stuff done at random for the other. For example, pick the Gladiator Pit in Gorgrond if you want to make sense of the questlines. The other side is completely irrelevant, and when you arrive at the end of the quest, you have absolutely no idea why that commander is all upset about some artefact that you're told to use and have no idea where it came from, and that he shouldn't have left it to some orc you've never heard about, or why you have a lone giant Raven bird waiting for you to go back to your outpost.
Nobody wants to be summons bitch.
You can use your raid leader's garrison Mage Tower, since the mage portals drop you next to Highmaul or BRF.

(if your raid leader doesn't have one, nominate the one who does)

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Basically we have 0 warlocks in the guild and would suck someone's dick if they rolled one. Like every single guild member would line up in a row and suck that person's dick in rapid succession to completion each time.

They're pretty good and their utility is nice. They aren't kings like they used to be, but Blizzard loves warlocks so it won't be long.
I like locks. Curiously, why the fellatio for the demonic W if they're only "pretty good with nice utility."?

I mean, I would want a well rounded roster too, but that seems a bit extreme.