World of Warcraft: Current Year

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I actually don't think they have anything up their sleeve. Siege of Orgrimmar was a full calendar year and yet a good number of people kept their subs up AND came back when WoD went live. In between now and Sept 2016 they have Starcraft 2, ongoing Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm content and then Overwatch. To the extent that all the Blizzard properties share a similar fan base Blizzard probably feels they have enough going on to keep their core audience pleased even if it isn't with WoW.

They will have some sort of thing coinciding with the movie release and then drop 7.0 a month later and call it a roaring success.

Sutekh

Blackwing Lair Raider
I actually don't think they have anything up their sleeve. Siege of Orgrimmar was a full calendar year and yet a good number of people kept their subs up AND came back when WoD went live. In between now and Sept 2016 they have Starcraft 2, ongoing Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm content and then Overwatch. To the extent that all the Blizzard properties share a similar fan base Blizzard probably feels they have enough going on to keep their core audience pleased even if it isn't with WoW.

They will have some sort of thing coinciding with the movie release and then drop 7.0 a month later and call it a roaring success.
No I don't think they will. They know the game is dying and almost dead. It's at vanilla level subs and they've said they're not longer reporting it because of how pathetically low it is compared to what it was.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
They may have came back for WoD, but they left pretty quick. Game went from what, 10 million to 5 in less than a year? And WoW won't be getting any content until Legion. ~3 Million subs by the time Legion launches is my guess

Inque

FunEmployed
Told my guild a few weeks ago to expect a Q2 release. Everyone was like "nah, nah you're crazy they wouldn't do that" -- linked them MMO-Champ tonight, buttload gquit, LOL.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Real talk. If its a September release, what have they been doing for the entirety of WoD? Jerkin off? It got 1 content patch.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Real talk. If its a September release, what have they been doing for the entirety of WoD? Jerkin off? It got 1 content patch.
But, but they have the largest content team they've ever had! It was all needed forquality!

orcmauler

Golden Squire
FFS I'm a filthy lfr casual at best and I can't even bring myself to login to check my garrisons. New expansion a fucking year away? Nope.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't really disappointed with the prospective Sept. release date. We just started M Gorefiend progression a couple weeks ago (6 hr/week guild), so I imagine that's probably where we'll stop. I was looking forward to the extra 10 ilevels (PTR patch) pushing us up to Manno/Archy progression in a short amount of time, but it's going to be hard to convince people to join OUR raiding guild when there are way more mythic raiding guilds than there are mythic-capable players to fill their ranks.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Nice to see the biggest WoW team ever means less content patches, higher box price and still over a year wait. Wtf are they doing over there?

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Maybe the Diablo 3 team borrowed some of the Wow team to help with their content....

tumblr_mjvp3cT07b1rv7ug4o1_500.gif

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
Yeah... nope.

Already had unsubbed months ago. My partner was still playing, I told him "Sept 16" and he flipped his shit. Canceled subscription. "I'm not doing HFC for 10 more months".

Oh and enough with this perorder bullshit. Your game is not even close to ready, don't ask for money to finish it, you have plenty of money, ESPECIALLY AT 50$. Blizzard has gone the route of EA and the like, when the money funnels in payroll gets bloated and quality suffers.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Holy fuck! What, absolute best case this is released by June or July-ish? Way too fucking long. Game is boring as fuck.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
When they did the interview circuit after the announce at Gamescom they said that they would handle flying in Legion the same way they did in WoD.
Yea, meaning an achievement that tracks account-wide the fact that you did all of the outdoor content. Save Archaeology.

I just hope they don't wrap faction reps in it again. Nor having to wait for the last patch of the expansion: if I've done all the outdoor content, then let me fly over it.
At worst. But yea, that means Q3. Maybe if the stars align right and the Old Gods rise, late Q2...
They may have came back for WoD, but they left pretty quick.
And the same will happen. You'll have a 3-5 million spike, but those people will leave again after finishing to level their main to 110.
~3 Million subs by the time Legion launches is my guess
You're a bit too pessimistic. The overall trend seems to go to just below 4 million by end of Q2 2016, at which point the people starting to come back in anticipation of the expansion will buckle the trend. But we'll be back at 3.5 millions by end of 2016, and dropping.

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
Whelp looks like I was wrong. Either they announce something amazing for like january or I won't play in a long time. I honestly think they're purposefully delaying it to correlate to the movie. If the movie is good, people will be like "WOW FOR DU HORDE YEAA" and then conveniently we'll see a trailer for WOWEXP right before and probably after. I bet this movie will be filled with wow adds kinda like I, robot

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
welp

NybeacX.jpg

e: Will pay real money for someone to stand up at one of the Q&As and go "September?Really?"
By and large now, I treat WoW xpacs like any other multiplayer game new release. Play hard a few months then cancel until patch. But yeah...don't entirely disagree.

So what is the impetus to pre-order and get the DH a week early when the xpac after legion isn't coming out until late 2018 anyway?