World of Warcraft: Current Year

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider

But seriously, I've resigned myself to subbing when WoW has content, and unsubbing when it doesn't. My only concern with Legion is if we waited this long to get about 2 weeks of content before we're waiting for a patch or another raid tier (I'm sure they'll tell us we haven't done all the "content" because we haven't gotten very far in follower missions for the class hall...)
They are wasting a truckload of time for features nobody asked for, like those levelling area scaling, coupled with retarded and useless class redesign with skill pruning galore, that certainly nobody asked. If these motherfuckers are going to launch with a shitty raid ala Highmaul without even completing the tier (BRF har har har), there will be probably 20 players left per server just one month after release.

I seriously hope they launch vanilla servers, Legion is definitely not appealing. At least they remade Blood Death Knights a little bit better, the previous incarnation was like shit shitting shit. I still think that having Death Strike cost runic power is a retarded idea that takes all the decisions out of the gameplay, just like removing the different kind of runes. They managed to bring back Rune Tap, which is a step in the right direction and boost Blood Boil damage for AE snap threat, so there is light at the end of the tunnel and let's hope it's not the train coming straight to our face.

I'd so wish them to say "we joked, here's your previous classes, go on with them". I fear the 7.0 patch.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Some salty fucks in here.

I've heard the leveling scaling idea tossed out a lot. There's tons of content wasted. Make it at least useful on some level a la gw2.

Phasing is ok for story portions, but I'm playing to play with people. Competing for nodes and mobs is part of that. I'd rather see folks via CRZ than not. It's fucking impossible to please mmo players.

"Give us large open world content, and make us play a massive player experience, but by god, no competition!"

I get that server communities are destroyed, but the ghost town alternative....blah.

My biggest complaint about DK's has been the Blizzard UI. Most death knight rune mods suck too. Most annoying part of that class. The single rune kind of makes that more tenable since magic runes has been abandoned.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Does anyone else feel like Shipyards got the gold nerf stick? I have noticed the Gold treasure missions have slowed down account wide. I had not noticed any patch message around it. If so, well it was fun while it lasted.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Redesigning classes every xpac drives me batty. Some of them need it; boomkin in WOD was basically just playing your interface instead of the game. It was such a shitty design. But there were others that didn't feel anywhere near as bad, and yet I'll be relearning every class again.

Also, as someone mentioned earlier, CRZ are so god awful. No one groups together as is, so all you do is keep zones at a higher level of density and it leads to bottle necking. No lie, I was doing Cataclysm twilight quests, and there were 7 people in a single small area doing the same quest. Like, wtf.

I was quite happy with phasing, because it scratched that itch I had for seeing the world change. I know it's intrinsic to MMOs that areas always stay the same, but I gotta say it feels cool to wipe out a den of evil doers and their leader and then that place becomes your headquarters. Makes it feel like it means something.

And also because phasing separates the CRZ a bit. Garrisons sucked but in all honesty, I really liked having no PCs in my major hub, heh.

As far as level scaling goes, I think just about every MMO has it these days - level scaling in SWTOR was a gigantic boon in that game. It doesn't scale you up I don't think, (mainly because it's story driven I think, so you can't just hop another planet) but scaling works really well, because if you do anything extra - heroic quests, flashpoints, weeklies etc, you'll easily outlevel that area and then you're getting 5 xp per quest turn in. This way, if you outlevel, you get brought down and you'll still receive full xp value.

But I also get that in just about every expansion I do the quests then hit a point where I've outleveled/geared that last zone and just finish it off quickly. That probably won't happen this xpac, but I'm hoping the benefits of scaling outweigh any issues caused by that.

Mughal

Bronze Knight of the Realm
It's fucking impossible to please mmo players.
This pretty much is the problem. The game is so vast and contains so many different mechanics (Pokemon, raiding, PvP battlegrounds, ERP, farmville, PvZ) that most players just care about the little changes in what they play and often do not have a bird's eye view or the task of having to please a larger customer base. This forum is slightly different but out there (mmorpg.com) you really want to bash your head on the table after reading some of the posts.

(but seriously more than a year for a patch tho WTF!)

Khane

Got something right about marriage
No lie, I was doing Cataclysm twilight quests, and there were 7 people in a single small area doing the same quest. Like, wtf.
If you were doing the first quest after you take over the base where you need to kill water elementals, those people were probably not doing that same quest. They were farming those mobs for volatile water.

CRZ was a good idea in theory. What you're complaining about was the intention. The idea was to populate lower level areas that are barren (heh) wastelands because individual server populations don't have enough people playing alts and going through those areas. They were created to help questing in those areas. The issue is people don't group even when they do run into someone else in these lower level areas because there isn't a single quest in the game in that requires a group until you get to Tanaan (and even then you can solo that stuff after about a day of gearing up) and it's faster to just one shot shit by yourself and move on.

So it doesn't serve the purpose it was created for (mostly anyway, it is nice being able to easily find world boss and tanaan groups) and instead has become a farming tool where people just hop and hop until they are alone. It's used to help people solo rather than group. There is nothing Blizzard can really do about that other than remove it because that's the way people want to play, which is why Brad is sort of right about one thing... if you want to make a group focused game you literally have to force people to group. We won't do it if we don't have to.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Don't get me wrong. I do agree on class redesigns being poop usually and I'm not blindly faithful to the blizzard teat. Fuck the obvious shattrath raid never coming to light. And Farahlon. Shatt pisses me off. This xpac was an excuse to tromp around old Draenor and you leave out the most iconic aspect of TBC feels. Bullshit. Should've been a quest zone at the least.

Ret's most recent redesign was needed, but I was glad to see that damn rotational buff leave. Inquisition? Awful. I've mostly played blood dk, ret, and destro lock, which means I haven't been jerked around nearly as much as other classes. By the same token, to push classes to feel distinct, don't some abilities need to be contracted? Everything was procs procs procs! Fuck. I don't even know exactly what's happening outside my three fave. Maybe it's still that way.

I think I don't mind CRZ's because I miss that time when things were full as fuck in the world. I have had decent luck grouping for quests alliance side lately, but I see the point people make despite not aggreeing 100%.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'm looking forward to the Ret Paladin rage when they're forced to use their Greater DPS Blessing on another class in raid, instead of themselves. When Unholy's Frenzy ability was best cast on Rogues and Warriors the DK community took an absolute shit on itself.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Most fun I've had in a long time last night 2-manning the Blood Infusion for Shadowmourne. Timing the DK rez / reincarnation, making sure I didn't kill the shaman w/ the phase 2 AoE. Was fun actually working through an encounter instead of indiscriminately facerolling - which is what I get to do for several weeks now for shards.

Felmega_sl

shitlord
I play Protection Warrior and I have to admit that some of the Legion changes (pruning motherfuckers) are going to hurt. I am going to miss my darling Fear...

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Does anyone else feel like Shipyards got the gold nerf stick? I have noticed the Gold treasure missions have slowed down account wide. I had not noticed any patch message around it. If so, well it was fun while it lasted.
Seems still completely random to me. The problem of shipyard vs garrison is that the number of missions is a lot lower and their respawn times are so long that you get hugely magnified random clumping of missions.

Khane

Ok so for those of you who are in the know about Timewalking sets. All the tanking stats that are no longer on gear like parry, block, dodge... do those stats still work if you wear older gear that have the stat? Or are they wasted stats that no longer do anything?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Ok so for those of you who are in the know about Timewalking sets. All the tanking stats that are no longer on gear like parry, block, dodge... do those stats still work if you wear older gear that have the stat? Or are they wasted stats that no longer do anything?
They probably still work. The real interest in timewalking gear, from what I see, is that the downleveling of your gear doesn't affect socketed gems, enchants or procs; just the ilvl of the item itself.

Khane

Yea, but I wanted to know if I should build a pure tanking set, or just get the damage set and a few pieces with bonus armor here and there and use that to tank.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
They're not wasted, but since the tank classes were redesigned to work around offensive stats, they're not necessary. Also, doing heaps of DPS is one of the bigger boons in those dungeons anyways.

The main thing is just to get giant amounts of sockets, since gems don't scale like the rest of it. As a warrior for example, all of the offensive plate stuff from heroic DS is amazing; tons of sockets and a lot of it is crit/mastery, the two biggest stats.

The other things are old legendaries that will work (Like shadowmourne, MOP cloak, etc) and items that had some really tremendous procs. Basically, anything from ICC and DS.

The one thing I will say is that I had an old paladin who was wearing the xpac appropriate gear in a time walking and I felt more sturdy in general with the flat bonuses. I didn't get chunked as much as my other classes - since the new way is to chain active mitigations, wearing the appropriate gear basically means you are still gaining tons of the stats you need without paying a huge amount of attention to your rotation.

But that's not what makes them the best. Gems forever, awesome procs, etc. Farm up some DS or ICC (ICC won't scale up to Cata however) and you'll be set. Bonus, if you're a warrior, 4 pc DS set gives shield wall to your whole party. (Admittedly at 50% efficiency but it's pretty awesome anyways.)

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, but I wanted to know if I should build a pure tanking set, or just get the damage set and a few pieces with bonus armor here and there and use that to tank.
You should just pick dps stats, tanks now utilize those for defense. As been said, get a lot of sockets, get Shadowmourne if you are a DK or hope you have the heirloom 1hander that dropped off Garrosh (Hellscream Doomblade iirc, it has 2 sockets) and also the heirloom shield (another 2 sockets).
SoO sets can be interesting, depending on class (for example Shadow Priest set boosts Mind Blast a fuckton, so it's a really good set for dps), also some trinkets do scaring amounts of damage.
Here is an interesting spreadsheet, for all classes, it may not be perfect, but it gives you an idea of where to start:

Timewalking BiS - Google Sheets