World of Warcraft: Current Year

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I think you'd be surprised how insignificant $20 is to a lot of people. For me living in Raleigh, NC, $20 is two really nice lunches. For someone in a higher cost of living area of the country, it's a lunch and maybe a drink.

I guess what I'm saying is, for a lot of people that enjoy the game but only play a few hours a week and don't want to spend those few hours making alts or running old raids, the ability to get a quick gold injection for the price of lunch seems pretty reasonable.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
And who cares. Those people are the reason you can play WoW for free. It's a symbiotic relationship.

rmack_sl

shitlord
I think you'd be surprised how insignificant $20 is to a lot of people. For me living in Raleigh, NC, $20 is two really nice lunches. For someone in a higher cost of living area of the country, it's a lunch and maybe a drink.

I guess what I'm saying is, for a lot of people that enjoy the game but only play a few hours a week and don't want to spend those few hours making alts or running old raids, the ability to get a quick gold injection for the price of lunch seems pretty reasonable.
That is very true but in game currency is pretty obsolete is most modern mmos. Seems like it would be cheaper to just buy the instant level 100 boost then to spend money on tokens so you can buy heirlooms for faster leveling.

DavivMcD

Peasant

The price isn't the weird part of it, it's the other ways you can easily get it. It's like paying $20 for a nice lunch that is normally only $15, then turning around and giving someone that lunch for a handful of arcade tokens, when there happens to be a barrel full of free arcade tokens if you just spend 5 minutes to walk down the street to it.

Sorry that analogy is getting weird. Like Khane said who cares, I benefit from it whoever they are.

Rime

<Donor>
Well I care since I asked the fucking question. $20 is trivial but so is logging in for 5 minutes a day.
If you have been playing (or had been, then took a break/whatever) and have your Garrisons/Shipyards set up, then gold is a joke. Just log in twice a day for 2 minutes per character. Collect loot. It is probably too late in the expansion to make much (if any) of a profit off of them as the ramp up time for it is 1-2 months, unless you get stupidly lucky with the re-roll items/world recruits.

If you have lots of free time, you can run old raids - Cata raids on 25m Heroic drop 200+ gold per boss, plus loot. Usually around 300 gold (upwards of 400 if you get lucky with weapon drops) once everything is vendored, excluding rare transmog drops, recipes, etc.

If you have more money than time, you can buy tokens to sell.

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
Well I care since I asked the fucking question. $20 is trivial but so is logging in for 5 minutes a day.
There is a lot of setup required to make a decent amount of gold, or a lot of time spent to actually play and farm it. "A lot" is subjective, but it's not that you reach level 100 and get 100k gold in the mailbox. I have friends that earn quite a lot of money and play quite rarely compared to your average MMO player. For them having 90k gold in exchange for what they earn in 30 minutes of work is quite helpful.

Rime

<Donor>
Just soloing all of the Cataclysm raids on 25m Heroic will net you a bare minimum of 7k gold a week for about an hour (maybe two) of 'work' a week. The number is likely closer to 9k once all of the trash is factored in. So that will almost get you a re-sub token every month. If you run Ulduar/ICC trying for the mounts or whatever, it will likely put you around 10k a week.

So it is not impossible to play for gold without garrisons, just more time consuming. If you are like the crazy guy from Reddit and clear every old raid, then it is likely enough to buy two tokens a month - but the guy is spending four hours a week (if not more. I would probably say at least five if you count travel times) per character clearing them. For people who make more than $20 an hour, it is a easier to just buy and sell the token.

Guzrog

<Gold Donor>
I recently came back and I've been playing pretty casually seeing which character I want to take into legion. I had only played the first week maybe of WoD and I'm firing up my 87 DK on the server I played on in WOTLK. The last few days I wasn't as casual and quested 87-92. I had 2k on that character, now I've got maybe 4.2k so almost enough to buy 310% flying. Then I'll be broke again.

I'm a prime example of someone who has considered buying the tokens. Fuck pouring a bunch of time into garrisons this late into the expansion as well as they suck and are a pain in the ass anyway. If I wanted to log on every day and push a few buttons without moving 30 virtual feet I can hope on farmville or facebook. I've never done the AH thing and garrisons are what turned me off to WoD in the first place. Much rather spend $20. Haven't yet, but I can definitely see doing it if the cash isn't coming in from sources other than garrisons.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
am I still in time to get a legendary ring or I'm shit out of luck? Not that I'm looking forward too much at the grind a 5th time (monk, priest, hunter and druid have their toy), but I'm not sure when the questline gets removed.
They've indicated that they're going the same way as Pandaria. So you have until 7.0 to start the questline, and until Aug 30 to complete it.
I'm really interested in playing Holy pala for Legion, the spec seems cool enough for my taste, but I'd feel bad without the orange toy, sigh... decisions.
The dev summit interview had them saying explicitly that they're going to nerf the ring if it is still more powerful than endgame rings for Legion.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The cloak and the ring are both so tied into their piss poor story lines that it is retarded that they pull them from the game when it doesn't matter since they were fucking welfare legendaries to begin with. Actually I think it's dumb they pull any content from the game but that's just my opinion on it.

As for the gold to money ratio think of it this way, you guys are saying doing Cata raids will net you about 7k gold for an hours worth of work per week. On U.S. the token is about 47k gold. So you are talking about 6.7 hours of your time. The token cost $20 which makes your time in game farming those 6.7 hours worth $2.98 per hour. Which is the best case scenario since U.S. numbers aren't as inflated. Take the chinamen side of things and your time farming is worth $.70 per hour. So it comes down to the value of time vs money.

Of course I am not counting in if you are having fun farming as you cant really put a value on that but if your time is worth more than $3 an hour buying a token doesn't seem so silly to bypass a fair bit of WoW tedium.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
The cloak and the ring are both so tied into their piss poor story lines that it is retarded that they pull them from the game when it doesn't matter since they were fucking welfare legendaries to begin with. Actually I think it's dumb they pull any content from the game but that's just my opinion on it.

As for the gold to money ratio think of it this way, you guys are saying doing Cata raids will net you about 7k gold for an hours worth of work per week. On U.S. the token is about 47k gold. So you are talking about 6.7 hours of your time. The token cost $20 which makes your time in game farming those 6.7 hours worth $2.98 per hour. Which is the best case scenario since U.S. numbers aren't as inflated. Take the chinamen side of things and your time farming is worth $.70 per hour. So it comes down to the value of time vs money.

Of course I am not counting in if you are having fun farming as you cant really put a value on that but if your time is worth more than $3 an hour buying a token doesn't seem so silly to bypass a fair bit of WoW tedium.
I churn out 40k+ in just garrison shit in about 5 hours over the month. Log in, get missions, send missions, open salvage, sell everything, convert spare GR to mats and AH the mats and special items from the missions. Now you can break that down to $X/hour, but I'm doing that shit regardless because it's a part of my normal routine and only takes 8-10 minutes to do all this shit at the start of me logging in.

I do the old raid farming stuff because it's "fun" in that I want the pets and the unique weapon transmogs (and everything else gets sold or destroyed).

kaid

Blackwing Lair Raider
once the new wardrobe system goes live in the prepatch. I am going to be violating all of old raids with wild abandon to snatch up all the gear looks I can before legion comes out.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
once the new wardrobe system goes live in the prepatch. I am going to be violating all of old raids with wild abandon to snatch up all the gear looks I can before legion comes out.
The best part of legion will be having bag space again. Like every one of my characters has a full bank / void storage / bags. It's less than cool.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Yeah the new version of the wardrobe system seems like they finally got it right. Once that shit is unlocked you can vendor all that garbage and free up some room.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Had no idea you could re-activate with gold. Got excited, went to login, and it says I don't have enough gold. Doh. Thought about spending $15 to re-activate, and was meh...

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
Had no idea you could re-activate with gold. Got excited, went to login, and it says I don't have enough gold. Doh. Thought about spending $15 to re-activate, and was meh...
Needs to be all on one realm, and it's taken proportionately from the characters on that realm or something.