World of Warcraft: Current Year

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
Ran mythic antorus for the first time (last 2 bosses only) and killed Argus for the first time above raid finder. Got the blue scuthe!

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Would your average player of today even be capable of clearing BRD? I can't even get a good group to finish the 15th anniversary mount quest.

Doesn't seem to be an issue on classic servers. Dungeon content is harder in retail than it was in vanilla. The issue back then was knowledge and MMO experience of the broad playerbase in general (most people were not EQ veterans like us)

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

It is impossible to correctly balance an uninstanced dungeon to be honest. In EQ1, the only dungeons that weren't perma dead were usually that way because the RvR was dog shit, the dungeon/loot sucked ass, or the difficulty ramped up from easy to insane, so people avoided the insane parts.

Plus EQ1 was on the cusp just before the professional gold farmers. Remember how much we bitched about players ebaying crap? That was just regular players selling that FBSS or rubicite armor. Now you have to contend with armies of gold farming bots from China. If you gate -anything- of value, then the gold farmers are going to lock that down 24/7 to force people to give them IRL money for it and most game companies have shown themselves unable to sufficiently regular that activity to any reliable degree.

Khane

What gives you guys the impression the gold farmers can lock anything down at all that real players want to access? Where are these magical bot armies that can't be fucked with and are better players than people actually at their keyboard? It's ridiculous to think gold farmers would have any impact on overworld dungeons at all.

There are plenty of uninstanced mobs that drop high value items in both retail and classic and none of them have ever been perma camped by bots or gold farmers or inhibited real player experience. The bots farm shit like hyppogryphs in Azshara because there is nobody out there to fuck with the bot and ruin its scripting or report them.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
There were quite a few dungeons in EQ1 that I never spent much time in. Although I did make it a point to have cleared them all. Nonetheless they all had something that would at minimum serve the very vibrant alt twink market.

WOW doesn't even have that. Because like has been said they can't seem to stand the concept of twinking characters.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Ran mythic antorus for the first time (last 2 bosses only) and killed Argus for the first time above raid finder. Got the blue scuthe!

I had it drop for me in LFR and I had no idea it even existed. I was confused why I was getting a dozen whispers asking if they could have it.

Coleslaw

Blackwing Lair Raider
"Hey...u need that?"

Going to go for the mythic tomb warrior set. Worst part is going to be the belt which is a boe trash drop. 1.5m gold on the ah on my horde server

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ha! How are some of you getting salty reactions and you’re being called the sensitive ones?

Anyways, I think Phasing has a lot of potential and people have just seemed to have written it off because of a bad experience early on. Not realizing entire zones are now phased. An open world dungeon could have phased boss mobs that have their reset tied to the specific player. You could kill it again, but you won’t get credit until your personal reset happens. I could section off multiple areas of OS, for example. But they would have to actually make phasing player friendly.

• 1Like

Khane

That's already how a lot of rares/boss mobs in the open world work.

I'd rather not have that though, make them truly rare and always drop loot. Like Poseidus (well he used to be rare anyway) or Aeonaxx or TLPD.

Daidraco

That's already how a lot of rares/boss mobs in the open world work.

I'd rather not have that though, make them truly rare and always drop loot. Like Poseidus (well he used to be rare anyway) or Aeonaxx or TLPD.

The spawn rate, and if they have a place holder or not could be a totally separate implementation. You actually hits the nail on the head with how annoyed I am by WoW still calling silver elite mobs “rares”. I just don’t see how they are rare, so why are they called that? Should call them “Challenge” mob or something. That would make more sense to me.

Hell, I really liked the theories people had about certain mobs in certain zones of EQ. Where a rare could, or maybe “would”, be tied to several other mobs in a spawn chain. Or how, in Rathe Mountains, you had all those differently named Scarabs and I still have no idea why the attention to detail was put into their names, there.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I really don't see why they don't make super overpowered versions of mobs/bosses in the overworld at this point. You can enter almost every single dungeon in the overworld without actually zoning in. Freehold being the best example, and it's barely populated by anything.

Actually now that I think about it - Nighthold in the overworld had insane mobs that would pretty much 3shot you even as prot if you tried to pull them by yourself. Make a reason to kill 'em.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Same reason they didn't really put anything like Fel Reaver into the game again.

Timmy cries when he gets killed by an extremely loud robot that shakes the ground as it walks and has a supremely tiny aggro range. Just no way you can see that death coming and it ruins my gameplay!

xzi

Mouthbreather
Well yeah, but you have to go extremely out of the way to get into Nighthold in the overworld.

Honestly I think classic is going to inspire them for Shadowlands even more than I'd hope for. Shit like Stitches walking around straight BLASTIN players and even quest NPCs has gotten a bunch of people stoked. Hopefully showing them that the playerbase is actually okay with things with brutal impacts on the world.

Cybsled

It isn’t just that. All the powerful world bosses had anti-Zerg mechanics, making them extremely easy to grief

Merrith

It isn’t just that. All the powerful world bosses had anti-Zerg mechanics, making them extremely easy to grief

Only Kazzak was super bad, though. Even guys planting mushrooms on purpose for Emeriss or helping heal Lethon to full with shades we just battled through no problem every attempt back in the day.

Ceowulff

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of the many things that makes WOW a theme park in 2019 is that you have no reason to just go out and explore shit. EQ had tons of weird ass zones to try and figure out (Plane of Mischief) or useful drops that were useful long into the game's life that dropped in the middle of nowhere.

Why did a level 20 drop a waterbreathing earring? Or a level 16 drop a vanilla caster BIS item? Who the fuck knows. There was a bank and friendly dwarf settlement in the very bottom of the Crystal Caverns. Even a cool lore reason as to why. I love shit like that.

Hivemind Mount Guide

Check out that mount quest. It took a whole discord of people a couple of months to solve.

If you like that kind of content go join the hidden quest discord, those people are amazing in how dedicated they are to solving puzzles in game.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Hivemind Mount Guide

Check out that mount quest. It took a whole discord of people a couple of months to solve.

If you like that kind of content go join the hidden quest discord, those people are amazing in how dedicated they are to solving puzzles in game.

I also suggest the hidden Uuna chain from Legion. Pulled on my heart strings a lil bit. Also relevant because we're going to the Shadowlands soon and I wonder if we're actually going to meet her.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

I also suggest the hidden Uuna chain from Legion. Pulled on my heart strings a lil bit. Also relevant because we're going to the Shadowlands soon and I wonder if we're actually going to meet her.

Lord I wish I had the fortitude you do with this game. I realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyy want the Baa'ls Darksign pet. But ffs, I looked at all thats required to get it and noped the fk out.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
Lord I wish I had the fortitude you do with this game. I realllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyy want the Baa'ls Darksign pet. But ffs, I looked at all thats required to get it and noped the fk out.

Yeah, B'aal and The Waist of Time were truly obnoxious just picking up random items in the complete opposite side of the world for like 10 hours straight. It's extremely fun to participate in when the secret is live and the community is searching together for it, but after that it kind of loses its charm.

Uuna at least has a story, lore and gameplay connected to her.