World of Warcraft: Current Year

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Anybody else for a CRUSADE?

928353.jpg

The plate gear in Shadowlands is looking really amazing, maybe the best expansion for armor we've seen. Saying that, why in the feck is the mail and leather so underwhelming. God damnit

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Aaaand they're finally getting rid of the Achievement requirement for flying in WoD and Legion, but not in BFA.

Can't very well announce that for BFA or people would just not bother with it even with the rep buff.

I have no clue why they kept the requirement for Warlords of Draenor this long. It looked like were going to hand those out at regular intervals and then just stopped. Playing new characters that whole expansion is a race to get out of that expansion. I'm not going to rep grind for an area I'm only in for like five hours but at the same time those are a really annoying five hours.

joz123

Potato del Grande
I have no clue why they kept the requirement for Warlords of Draenor this long. It looked like were going to hand those out at regular intervals and then just stopped. Playing new characters that whole expansion is a race to get out of that expansion. I'm not going to rep grind for an area I'm only in for like five hours but at the same time those are a really annoying five hours.
Requirements at all for flying is stupid as hell. Just charge like 5k for each area and call it a day.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider

Yes, the WoW development team has stated before that they thought flying was ultimately a mistake. They wanted an option to at least make it so that people had experience the map before it got stale and you ultimately just wanted the most convenient option. I think it's a solid compromise and the only people who still complain about it are people who barely fucking play the game.

You seriously think it's hard to get? GTFO. It's never been a hard or long grind. Did you even EQ, bro?

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yes, the WoW development team has stated before that they thought flying was ultimately a mistake. They wanted an option to at least make it so that people had experience the map before it got stale and you ultimately just wanted the most convenient option. I think it's a solid compromise and the only people who still complain about it are people who barely fucking play the game.

You seriously think it's hard to get? GTFO. It's never been a hard or long grind. Did you even EQ, bro?

Not that I thought it was hard to get, although I didn't do the WoD grind when it was current, did it back when I came back for Legion. I get the idea of experiencing the map first, too. Making everyone wait until the X.2 because the reps you need don't exist is a little off for me.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

A big part of why I barely play retail is exactly that kind of shit though, the completely transparent daily/weekly interaction mechanics combined with the the naked use of Skinner Boxian operant conditioning.

• 1EyeRoll

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
A big part of why I barely play retail is exactly that kind of shit though, the completely transparent daily/weekly interaction mechanics combined with the the naked use of Skinner Boxian operant conditioning.

It's designed to reward the players who were actually present and did it without bonuses on the path to getting it. Much like you get tired of having to do things to accomplish goals, I get tired of people getting the same shit as me with a fraction of the work.

Ultimately they will remove all of these barrier anyway. Whatever brings subs back...QoL arguments and such that gradually rip any kind of momentum out of the people who show up when content is still valid.

I understand wanting account-wide stuff when you've already completed something, that's why I quit until they did that with Essences. Perhaps there is some better middle ground than negating the work that people have already done and making the carrot-on-a-stick mechanisms of MMOs pointless?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's designed to reward the players who were actually present and did it without bonuses on the path to getting it. Much like you get tired of having to do things to accomplish goals, I get tired of people getting the same shit as me with a fraction of the work.

They want you to log in each day and do your chores and if you do you'll eventually earn enough goodboy points, I get it. It's daily interaction busywork. I've been taking out the trash and doing the dishes to fill bars for over a decade. Can I take out ALL the trash and do ALL the dishes right now and be done with it? Nope. For fuck's sake, when they announced that flying was coming to BfA it also included three more weeks of raking leaves first. I can't even start raking leaves until they say I can.

But hey, their system works. I'm back playing retail for a month or two while I get my roster in order for the next expansion that I'll play for a couple months at launch before the same shit that always causes me to quit causes me to quit again.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
They want you to log in each day and do your chores and if you do you'll eventually earn enough goodboy points, I get it. It's daily interaction busywork.

Most of what you need you'll get passively while "grinding out" current content.

If we are now arguing how lame the idea of dailies is, I totally agree. Dailies are pure aids. Just let me grind this shit out at my own pace. And again, only make me do it once, outside of gear.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Perhaps there is some better middle ground than negating the work that people have already done and making the carrot-on-a-stick mechanisms of MMOs pointless?
How about tying flying to the zone storylines, so you get access once you played through the content once? Making you redo all those quests you already did as world quests - multiple times - is just plain stupid. It is what used to be a secondary goal (rep grinds for mounts/transmogs) promoted to primary goal status (+power grinds, e.g. gear and access unlocks).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Most of what you need you'll get passively while "grinding out" current content.

If we are now arguing how lame the idea of dailies is, I totally agree. Dailies are pure aids. Just let me grind this shit out at my own pace. And again, only make me do it once, outside of gear.

The grind it out at my own pace thing is where I think their hiccup is. You do your dailies/weeklies/whatever all the time at the start of the expac, bang out exhalted with all 6 reps...and get not very much. Just 20% ground mount speed or whatever then you have to wait 2 whole major patches before the last 2 reps and the land you need to explore for separate achieves as part of PF2 achieve even exist.

Having to wait until X.2 takes the whole "my own speed" thing out of the equation. Let people grind it out in X.0 after they complete all the main story stuff and have used their ground mount for all that. If the separate little extra zones they add like Mechagon/Naj need their own little separate grinds to allow flying when they're first released, that's cool too.

• 1Like

xzi

Mouthbreather
can't say I've ever cared about pathfinder one way or another, but it is stupid to have the non-current expansion not just be unlocked immediately upon prepatch

& pathfinder still rewards a mount, just make that mount so it's only rewarded when the content is relevant so big giant babies don't feel "ripped off" when the grind isn't needed anymore

Leon

<Silver Donator>
or give the flying to everyone and the mount can still be the achieve. I don't see an issue.

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
It's funny how they flip flop on things like this every few expansions. Which seems to indicate it isn't pencil pushers and number crunchers asking developers to do things for sub numbers. But rather the people in charge of designing the systems either loving or hating the idea of making old content tedious.

Sometimes they ease content restrictions when newer content is released. Like lowering level requirements to purchase flying for specific expansions (WoTLK cold weather flying went from 80 to 68 for instance). Sometimes they make it way more of a hassle than it was even when it was current. Like nerfing the fuck out of legendary effects like Aggramar's Stride and Legion food buffs, and not giving a BfA equivalent.

There's no rhyme or reason for this other than whoever is in charge of designing content wanting to be a dick.

Sumdain x

Trakanon Raider
just give it a few months and we'll be farming "random eyeball currency 01" so we can buy our bis corruption.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Like nerfing the fuck out of legendary effects like Aggramar's Stride and Legion food buffs, and not giving a BfA equivalent.

Still really fucking mad about this. Farming old dungeons actually became really enjoyable, and it wasn't just because I could complete them extremely fast but because I was now trying to break my own records.

I've toyed with the idea of making a speed druid to farm real low level shit but you have to cap them at like 111 and for some reason I feel like the scaling in next expac is going to completely break them so I don't know if I waste 2 months gearing it properly. Dark Iron warrior can also get insane speeds, but again same thing.

• 1Solidarity