World of Warcraft: Current Year

Octave

Trakanon Raider
Dailies and mission tables are ideas from mobile game genre. They're not about fun but about creating addiction loops.

It's pretty abhorrent to see them continue to use them. It's not worth playing any game using this sort of manipulation let alone pay monthly for the privilege.

The industry can do better.

• 2Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

KDow

Blackwing Lair Raider
Because the company is ran by complete and total failure faggots who don't know shit about MMO's. All of the people who had any love for the genre are long gone so they add in fucking facebook games, pokemon, and autochess since they have no fucking clue how to design content for anyone other than the Chinese.

This. I recently finished up the story on the Ally side. A few months ago I rolled a paladin. I had never played the class before so I didn't really know what I was missing from the early days to where they currently sit. It felt hollow but it went by quickly and once I got to 120 there was plenty of shit to do (albeit pointless shit but that's neither here nor there).

I didn't feel the same when it came to my Horde Shaman. My plan was to do the same thing on the Horde side and then make sure I had the pre-req allied quests done within each faction. I began leveling from 110 - 120 on my shaman and holy fucking shit...

I had rolled my Shaman when TBC launched and had pretty much always played Enh. I decided to level as Enh this time as well. I have no fucking clue what the fuck they did to this class the way it is now
(and I'm sure every other class is probably saying the same thing). There are no totems, there is one shitty heal, its this neutered down ridiculous experience. I considered going on and on about it but whats the point, you guys already know.

It made me a little sad, not boo hoo cry in my beer or anything, but in the way that you know they had something good and then they purposefully turned it to shit. Kind of like how I feel when I think about the last couple of seasons of GoT, or what Lyndsey Lohan did to herself after Mean Girls with cigarettes and cocaine.

It made me take a step back and realize: Wow, this shit sucks. (<<This works on two levels)

Also, with the war campaign it seemed like they were finally going to do something interesting and sane and blow up this whole 2 faction story that continues not to work and should have ended several xpacs ago and allow anyone to group with anyone. Maybe dare to dream of allowing people to grind rep with opposing factions so they weren't KoS. THAT is a rep grind I am OK with.

Nope, instead they tucked their dicks back between their legs and its more good-ish guy gets corrupted by shadow tentacle monster and becomes bad guy. Oh and nothing meaningful changes from a gameplay perspective.

I have seen people saying that Shadowlands is supposed to bring WoW closer to its roots. I'll wait and see on that one.

At this point though I have no clue who this game is for but it ain't for me. I watched someone on Twitch playing Undermine recently and it looks fun. I think I'm going to do that while I'm supposed to be working from home instead of WoW.

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I didnt think the mission table was all that bad in WoD. Just wish they would stop connecting it to my own player progression.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The mission table was irrelevant in BfA and appears to be pointless again in SL, so it’s fine.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Calling a fucking UI point and click system "adventures" is all kinds of absurdity.
Calling WoW a "game" instead of a "series of unfun chores" is all kinds of absurdity at this point.

• 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
I didnt think the mission table was all that bad in WoD. Just wish they would stop connecting it to my own player progression.

At least you could make a pile of gold with them in WoD until they nerfed it. I quit looking at it Bfa's version shortly after the xpac arrived.

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Nearly all of what I do is unfun chores for a single digit percent chance something interesting (though not necessarily useful) randomly appears.

Then again, that may be why I spend maybe 30 mins a day 'playing', mostly on a second screen.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
FFXIV is the same way. A million things to do, but all of them suck.

True but at least FFXIV has a little flair to it. I'm beginning to see images of purple tentacles and eyeballs in my sleep. I feel like WoW really got into this theming and went overboard with it. I've been literally stuck in a nightmare for months and I can't take it much longer ... lol

Fucker

Log Wizard
Player engagement metrics. It gets the casuals to log in

Imagine working for a games company that has to rely on metrics in order define fun activities.

I'm pretty sure all of their game devs where home schooled.

qfe.jpg

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
Imagine working for a games company that has to rely on metrics in order define fun activities.

Metrics are always a management thing, not a developer thing. In fairness though, you need *some* way of judging how much people like things to know what to make more of. If you ignore that aspect completely in favor of your 'vision' you end up with Brad McQuaid, which has it's own problems.

I agree they have wandered into the 'cart before the horse' area though - if you make your wizard chores take twice as long then the people that still do them will spend twice as much time doing wizard chores - this does not correlate in any way with them enjoying wizard chores twice as much ( except insofar as those that get zero enjoyment out of them and twice zero is still zero, so there's that ;p ).

• 2Like

Octave

Trakanon Raider
I'm not quite understanding the socketed gems thing.

Does this have to do with ilevel making mobs harder? Like, as your ilevel increases, so does mob difficulty? So that with a full gems setup, your level scaling is nearly outpacing your power gain?

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm not quite understanding the socketed gems thing.

Does this have to do with ilevel making mobs harder? Like, as your ilevel increases, so does mob difficulty? So that with a full gems setup, your level scaling is nearly outpacing your power gain?

It's about PvP scaling.

Rime

<Donor>
Sockets increase the value of the items PVP Item-Level, so in cases, particularly high-end character versus low-end character, it nerfs the high-end person.