World of Warcraft: Current Year

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
And yet for some reason no one can link me to anything not pure news media briefly discussing it prior to the set, Secrets up there even thinks there's a trove of Cosby rapist YTMNDs just sitting around like yeah it was some big fuckin rapist in joke for decades or something.
"No one can link me to anything not pure news media to show people knew about something." Dude you fucking know that people hear about things on the fucking news, right? Show me a non-news article about Biden's infrastructure bill. Oh wait you can't? So I guess no one knows about it? It's honestly stunning to me you think no one follows the news, the old network news shows were like the highest rated shows on those channels lol.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I should have said "make rape jokes" but whatever.
This thread needs to move to Screenshots and become a poll at this point.
Nope. Bad things go to bad places. It's been the rule for like ever.

rickshaw.gif

elbas

Molten Core Raider

Jan. 22, 2005 Constand files a police report
January 2005 Cosby is interviewed by Cheltenham Police Chief John Norris, who later tells Vanity Fair that Cosby was "cooperative, congenial ... He came in wearing the typical Cosby sweater.
Feb. 10, 2005 Tamara Green says in a television interview that Constand's decision to file a police report against Cosby, sparking a very public criminal investigation, prompted her to come forward with a similar allegation from the 1970s.

I don't really remember exactly when I started to hear about Cosby, but this timeline shows that there were police and TV interviews well before the 2013 BlizzCon. It might not have been well known, but that stuff was out there. It makes a lot more sense that the suite was named for Cosby's behavior rather than because of some connection to a conference room.

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
That people all dug up AFTER 2015? Yeah, I meant those.
Again, it was 2014 dude, I've linked to the article actually covering Burress's set, I'm not sure why everyone keeps getting the year it went viral off by 1. But anyway, you continue to confuse "this wasn't viral to the degree that I, a stupid person that knows nothing, knew about it, therefore it did not exist." I know it may be shocking to you but there's a broad community of people who know about things based on the news. There's millions of people that watch NBC'S Nightly News, that watch 60 Minutes, that watch CNN, Fox News, etc. That read their local paper. Cosby's stuff was in all those sources. There's like tons of housewives who tune in to NBC Today every single today of the work week. There was literally a joke on 30 Rock about Cosby raping Tracy Jordan's aunt, this was like 4 years before Burress's set--interestingly Burress was later on the writing staff of 30 Rock, which may be where he got more informed about the allegations. Clearly someone on the writing staff of 30 Rock was informed enough that they felt comfortable writing the joke. Bill Maher has claimed he had heard it said Cosby had weird rapey behaviors back to the early 1980s.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"No one can link me to anything not pure news media to show people knew about something." Dude you fucking know that people hear about things on the fucking news, right? Show me a non-news article about Biden's infrastructure bill. Oh wait you can't? So I guess no one knows about it? It's honestly stunning to me you think no one follows the news, the old network news shows were like the highest rated shows on those channels lol.

Wait, is the infrastructure bill a fucking meme now? A fundamental aspect to memes is that they are culture driven, not news driven. The Cosby meme prior to Hannibal Buress' set had nothing to do with rape.

• 1Worf

Sieger

Trakanon Raider

I don't really remember exactly when I started to hear about Cosby, but this timeline shows that there were police and TV interviews well before the 2013 BlizzCon. It might not have been well known, but that stuff was out there. It makes a lot more sense that the suite was named for Cosby's behavior rather than because of some connection to a conference room.
I actually don't really know why they called it the Cosby Suite, lots of stupid friend in jokes have stupid stories. I certainly don't think there is any evidence they were running a rape room at Blizzcon, and I think there's a number of HR issues the lawsuit revealed at Blizzard but the "Cosby Suite" thing isn't close to the most serious. I mostly just object to the people claiming that literally no one knew about these allegations before 2014, when they had been featured in national news coverage a decade before. It's asserting that literally no one has the capacity to absorb and retain information.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
James = Alex?
It'd be pretty funny if Furor came back to the forum by pretending to be James all this time, and just randomly threw in little things about badges now and then as his only cover.

Last edited:

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
Wait, is the infrastructure bill a fucking meme now? A fundamental aspect to memes is that they are culture driven, not news driven. The Cosby meme prior to Hannibal Buress' set had nothing to do with rape.
I mean so what exactly are you saying here, because Cosby being a rapist wasn't a "well known meme used in the meme community" there is no chance that someone would make a Cosby rape joke? (Odd position since I've linked to a video where the writing staff of 30 Rock did just that in like 2010, but I digress.)

Chris

Potato del Grande
And yet for some reason no one can link me to anything not pure news media briefly discussing it prior to the set, Secrets up there even thinks there's a trove of Cosby rapist YTMNDs just sitting around like yeah it was some big fuckin rapist in joke for decades or something.

I'm not watching them but sorting by most viewed gives a good indication of what early internet culture thought of cosby.

They don't seem rape themed, Pokemon theme is the one I remember.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Again, it was 2014 dude, I've linked to the article actually covering Burress's set, I'm not sure why everyone keeps getting the year it went viral off by 1. But anyway, you continue to confuse "this wasn't viral to the degree that I, a stupid person that knows nothing, knew about it, therefore it did not exist." I know it may be shocking to you but there's a broad community of people who know about things based on the news. There's millions of people that watch NBC'S Nightly News, that watch 60 Minutes, that watch CNN, Fox News, etc. That read their local paper. Cosby's stuff was in all those sources. There's like tons of housewives who tune in to NBC Today every single today of the work week. There was literally a joke on 30 Rock about Cosby raping Tracy Jordan's aunt, this was like 4 years before Burress's set--interestingly Burress was later on the writing staff of 30 Rock, which may be where he got more informed about the allegations. Clearly someone on the writing staff of 30 Rock was informed enough that they felt comfortable writing the joke. Bill Maher has claimed he had heard it said Cosby had weird rapey behaviors back to the early 1980s.

So, you're saying that the Cosby shit was called out on a COMEDY show written by COMEDIANS and that a COMEDIAN on the writing staff turned that into part of his COMEDIC set? But it was TOTALLY known outside of comedian circles prior to a comedian putting it on blast. And Bill Maher does what, exactly, as a profession? Could it be comedy?!

But yeah, all the housewives were totally talking about this prior to comedy circles highlighting it...

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

Last edited:
  • 1Like

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I mean so what exactly are you saying here, because Cosby being a rapist wasn't a "well known meme used in the meme community" there is no chance that someone would make a Cosby rape joke? (Odd position since I've linked to a video where the writing staff of 30 Rock did just that in like 2010, but I digress.)

You linked an article describing exactly what I'm talking about: the public was not aware of Cosby as a rapist in 2010. Why do you think that would bolster your argument? Of course I'm saying that there's no chance Furor used Cosby as a subtle rape joke, it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

• 1Worf

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Go ahead and link one, the site still exists.
Okay, I was wrong. I'll admit that one. Most of the YTMND cosby jokes were harmless and based on his TV sayings.

I may remember a lot differently because I lived in Norristown, Pennsylvania where the Montgomery County District Courthouse is, which is where Cosby was on trial. The court proceedings were happening there, so we'd see it on Fox 29 Philadelphia constantly.

No one took it seriously until 2014, which would be right after Occupy Wall Street.

Slight rant below. Ignore it if you want.

Fuck that era, btw. It signaled the end of 'internet sarcasm' era, and right before the Trump presidency (and right before Weinstein's claim to infamy which started the #MeToo cancel culture, which was in 2017.

I actually thought the Trump presidency was just a continuation of the 4chan 2007-era 'jokingly racist/sexist' trolling. That's why I was so heavily on board with it at first. The 'meme war' shit was almost a direct continuation of 2007-era /b/ -style shitposting.

You know, memes like 'pool's closed', 'internet hate machine' and the media's lack of understanding of that 'anonymous' is just the name that appears on 4chan when you don't fill in the name field and is not an actual person or group to this day, posting line trap memes, spamming Hitler dancing under stereo ball gifs, shitting dick nipples, invading message boards and social media sites like Gaia online or speedrunning getting banned from Club Penguin, and other nonsensical memes of the era. They were funny because they simply existed and there were people out there who took the internet too seriously.

But then, with the 'help' of smartphones, the line between actual net denizen and normal, 9-5 working person who was actually an asshole and had no remorse was too far blurred. Now they're the predominant net denizen.

And within my own circles, it came out that the more we knew about each other, the less we wanted to know. I found out the people who were joking about 'that fucking loli shit' were actual pedophiles and were half-joking about them avoiding being V&'d. I learned more and more that some people are actually pieces of shit, and the fall of the internet was basically social media platforms.

Now, there's no distinction from someone being 'a troll' online and someone who is actually '-ist'. There's plenty of people that haven't realized that distinction is gone because there's no visual indicator that the past era and the former online minority user have exchanged places.

That is disheartening to me, personally. It means a majority of the human population on this fucking earth is absolutely mindless and unaware.

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I may remember a lot differently because I lived in Norristown, Pennsylvania where the Montgomery County District Courthouse is, which is where Cosby was on trial. The court proceedings were happening there, so we'd see it on Fox 29 Philadelphia constantly.

I'll grant that certain localities were more aware of it than others, but there's no evidence Furor was even aware of Norristown, Pennsylvania, let alone a trial being held in it.

• 1Worf

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So, you're saying that the Cosby shit was called out on a COMEDY show written by COMEDIANS and that a COMEDIAN on the writing staff turned that into part of his COMEDIC set? But it was TOTALLY known outside of comedian circles prior to a comedian putting it on blast. And Bill Maher does what, exactly, as a profession? Could it be comedy?!

But yeah, all the housewives were totally talking about this prior to comedy circles highlighting it...

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

• 1Worf

James

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Even Family Guy didn't make a Cosby rapist joke until after the Hannibal Buress set, that should tell you how underground it was if nothing else will.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
After Kotick released that letter, it was pretty clear JAB was going to be given the "fall on your sword" option given his past involvement with some of the complaints and alleged inaction on them.

Ion getting moved will have more to do with sub counts tanking and the players in a full on exodus to FF14 or just quitting the game in general.

yep FOH called that one soon as the letter released

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Even Family Guy didn't make a Cosby rapist joke until after the Hannibal Buress set, that should tell you how underground it was if nothing else will.
Don't tell him about the Simpsons episode...

If Simpsons airs a games industry sexual abuse episode, I'll believe the entire suit as real with no trial.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I don't know the guy, but his #1 fan James says it wasn't in his character to rape women.

Also according to the complaint it was the CROSBY SUITE so they were appropriating this musical genius and probably playing CSNY greatest hits, which would definitely have turned me on.

James was at the Blizzcon backyard BBQ I heard. So he's the closest source we have on Furor's character.

Think he took his steak medium rare. But hasn't specified whether the grill was gas or coal yet.