World of Warcraft: Current Year

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Lady vex must have got fucked in the ass recently by a druid because in each post he says things like " Druids were fucking terrible in vanilla; what are you smoking? You had rejuve and regrowth" and I do mean in every posts he has something negative to say about druids.

Then I scroll up and re read everything and realize never did I come here to exclaim how awesome the druid class was so who the fuck is he arguing with?
You didn't say it, true. But the point I took from your post was, "Check me out with my awesome t2 shoulders and look how many hots I can stack on my rogue friend!" (There weren't that many.)

See post above; maybe to the uninformed you looked really cool (And considering that I also raided, sure, it was really awesome for lowbies to think wowwwww, look at that gear!) but people who competed against you knew the score. If your contention is that vanilla was better (or at least better for you, or cooler, or whatever) because of the reasons given, then those are just utterly wrong reasons.

And also, I play a druid, just fyi.

Slow your roll; druids sucked but it had nothing (usually) to do with the players. They just had a shit tool set and because of their vision to be a jack of all trades, literally were terrible at just about everything. It was the reason they were pigeonholed into being healers only in vanilla, and why the majority of gear for druids was utter shit. (Because it didn't have only caster stats.)

Like I said, you are mis-remembering, and that type of "awe" you experienced then didn't go away just because people's gear is the same textures yet different colors. Now, the majority of people can kill a boss, and go, "Holy shit, I don't even want to imagine him on any other difficulty."

Ome

Molten Core Raider
I must be missing something. Isn't vGrades point simply that having the purples during vanilla made you a rock star due to the difficulty of acquiring said gear vs how it is today.

Asherah

Silver Knight of the Realm
Like I said, you are mis-remembering, and that type of "awe" you experienced then didn't go away just because people's gear is the same textures yet different colors. Now, the majority of people can kill a boss, and go, "Holy shit, I don't even want to imagine him on any other difficulty."
I agree. However, I think people cared a lot more about what other people did back in vanilla because the game was new, cool and had a bright future. Now that the game is way past it's prime there will naturally be less prestige to be had from accomplishments. No matter how shiny stuff or how many achievements you have today most people will be unimpressed because they are just playing to pass the time until the next big thing anyway.

DavivMcD

Peasant
In vanilla it was cool as a lowbie to see lvl 60s riding epic mounts and running around in epic raid loot. Once you got to that point yourself, it lost its luster. I remember several times having a lvl 40ish player come up to me in Ironforge excitedly and ask "Hey mister! Where'd you get that sword?" and I'd respond "Iunno, somewhere in MC I guess." But I can still vividly remember my raid team's first kills of Ony, Rag, etc. to this day.

If you only raided for the sole purpose of getting better loot, even back in vanilla, you've been playing wrong for 9 years.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
I must be missing something. Isn't vGrades point simply that having the purples during vanilla made you a rock star due to the difficulty of acquiring said gear vs how it is today.
I think it's something like that, but he's trying to make a point that doesn't exist. He's equating the fact that people can get any epics to what it was like to get vanilla epics; IE only the raiders had epics, whereas now most everyone can farm/somewhat raid for them.

Except, the type of gear he means has not changed in it's acquisition methods, and has in fact gotten harder. The normal mode gear that he is omgwtfbbqing about? It takes more effort now to get it than it did back then. He is upset that seeing people in epics period does not mean they are good raiders, or hardcore or whatnot; it just means they've done LFR.

But who cares about that? I know that anyone in blue schemed t15 is doing heroic; nothing has changed. Maybe the plebs of your server will think you're tough shit, but anyone worth their salt won't.

And, as mentioned, he played a druid during 40 man raiding, and received loot when it was shit. That's not impressive to me.

I assumed that he was waxing poetic about "the good ole days" but really had nothing to back it up with.

@ Asherah - People cared a lot more also because there was an actual community; you competed against people on the same server, people knew which guild was killing what, who had full t1/2 first, who opened the AQ gates, etc. If you couldn't get 40 people together, you weren't getting shit, so most raiders were always held up on high.

@ Daviv - Yea, that always struck me as humorous. We raided to take on the best baddies - loot was a byproduct and a means to an end. It was the reason we farmed the shit out of dungeons to get the last loot that might make us that much more powerful.

@ elvis - No shit, but even downranking healing touch didn't mean they suddenly became valuable. They tank healed - remember that back in vanilla only ONE rejuve could be on the target, period. Meaning if another druid healed your target, and they had more SP then you, yours was gone. Wasted mana! In the very first raids, you couldn't even downrank HT, because it took a dog's age to cast - it was akin to greater heal from priests, and back then most priests tag teamed flash healed your tanks. (Until you started downranking heal rank 4.)

Shit, druids didn't even have an out of combat rez to help speed up recovery time.

The fact still remains that they were brought along for brez and innervate for priests; you could literally have put anyone else in their shoes in a raid and it wouldn't have made a difference, unless you super relied on the brezzes or innervates. (And you wanted at least one for mark.)

Anyways, yea. Vanilla wow was great for many reasons, but if your reason is that people knew you were a badass based on what your gear looked like, then that hasn't changed in the slightest. What has changed is how everyone can acquire epic gear, and how there is virtually no sense of community on any server, so it's far less likely for someone to run by you, see your raid gear and do a double take.

Edit: Wall of text, told myself I'd go to sleep when I got the next level on my archer but instead I just started leveling my marauder. :p

The fact still remains that they were brought along for brez and innervate for priests; you could literally have put anyone else in their shoes in a raid and it wouldn't have made a difference, unless you super relied on the brezzes or innervates. (And you wanted at least one for mark.)
you haven't raided as Horde then I see, Innervates were the life blood that kept priests (and sometimes mages) going because the Shamans mana regen options were a fucking joke compared to the paladins blessings and superior healing

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
you haven't raided as Horde then I see, Innervates were the life blood that kept priests (and sometimes mages) going because the Shamans mana regen options were a fucking joke compared to the paladins blessings and superior healing
Yea, my vanilla raiding was alliance. Our druids had mods set up, so you'd whisper them for the innervate and it would automatically cast. The hunters stole them a lot. :p Think we only ever had 2 druids at one time though; maybe 3.

Broodlord was the first time I really went, holy fuck horde has it bad. From what I remember tranq totems were absolute shit whereas blessing of salvation was balls good because of that encounter.

Shamans got us back though, since Princess Huhuran counted their totems as soakers for her bolts! (Think they changed that quickly though. :p)

Empala_sl

shitlord
I know that feel druidbros. Although druids weren't that bad - we brought 2 iirc. They proved useful on Loatheb though, but for most of the time they were just HT'ing MT, brez the DPS that ate cleaves and innervating the priests. Having one priest spec Inspiration, spamming rank 1 flash heal for the 25%. Good times
I played a hunter through Vanilla mostly... Our DPS was shit if you didn't pay enough attention or if you were a bad player, like 90% of the hunters. Thankfully I was an officer so I always had a spot, most guilds just used one hunter for Anub and Gluth - probably swapped him/her out after the fights. In Naxx I only got topped by Fury warriors and the fire mages that got the rolling ignite - but I had to pay full attention and lag could fuck up my rotation pretty badly.

WoW moved on. I suggest we do the same.
frown.png

Empala_sl

shitlord
Shamans got us back though, since Princess Huhuran counted their totems as soakers for her bolts! (Think they changed that quickly though. :p)
Lies. Shamans were useful on Viscidus because of the poison cleansing totems. God that boss was retarded. Rogues buying grey 1.1 daggers with frost crap enchant.

Enhancement shamans were the lulz though. I remember the two of us going out in WSG, in full AQ gear, shaman had the C'Thun axe. Rapetrain.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
Ladyvex I call a truce. I may just have a difficult way of explaining why the exclusivity in Vanilla was so fun but I would like to say this.

I started in beta but had I began to play WOW 4 months from release and you dropped me into a major city I would know just by looking (Not inspecting) who the bad ass mother fuckers on the server were. It was fun being famous in a world of pixels. It did not matter if I had the shittiest class in the god damn game and was just there for Mark of the wild. I showed up to every raid. I helped farm for mats. I was up late at night discussing strats on team speak and I was a damn good healer.

As it stands right now if you have not played this game in a while and logged into a major city there is no way in hell you can tell by looks alone who did what. Everyone has giant fucking shoulders. Everyone's weapons look epic. Everyone's shit glows. Everyone looks like they have been there and back again.

I don't want to have to check some god damn achievement book to see what you did. I want to be able to just walk by another player and say "Woah, whats this motherfucker Ladyvex been up too"

I'm just explaining what was fun for me. My first MMO was EQ . I enjoyed being able to look at another player, see his weapon, know the name of the weapon and what his guild had to kill to acquire said weapon.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
Vanilla raid challenge was more artificial than actual.

Can't find 40 people to fill a raid? Odds are you're going to lose.
Don't have enough resists for Ragnaros, Vael, AQ40, etc? Odds are you're going to lose.
Don't have enough Ony cloaks for Nef? Odds are you're going to lose.

It was also a ton of fun banking all that shiny raid gear I was getting from Molten Core and equipping greens which had +Frost Damage or resist gear on it.

I enjoyed raiding during Vanilla but back then I had all the time in the world, very few real life commitments and could justify spending stupid amounts of time playing WOW. At the time, raids were pretty complex (especially compared to EQ where most fights were tank and spank with a Complete Heal Rotation). Blackwing Lair, in particular, was tremendous fun. Even Razorgore was a huge step up in challenge from most of Molten Core.

Chronometer_sl

shitlord
Excuse the random slightly off-topic question, but I am thinking of coming back for a little run, does anyone know of a decent Alliance EU server, most servers seem to be heavily Horde dominated still.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Excuse the random slightly off-topic question, but I am thinking of coming back for a little run, does anyone know of a decent Alliance EU server, most servers seem to be heavily Horde dominated still.
That depends. In the end with the upcoming "Virtual Realms" it doesn't seem to matter much because Blizzard is going to consolidate empty and smaller realms to similar activity levels. Citing wowprogress.com for PvE I probably would take Silvermoon and for PvP ist Ravencrest or Frostmane.

Chronometer_sl

shitlord
That depends. In the end with the upcoming "Virtual Realms" it doesn't seem to matter much because Blizzard is going to consolidate empty and smaller realms to similar activity levels. Citing wowprogress.com for PvE I probably would take Silvermoon and for PvP ist Ravencrest or Frostmane.
Ah cheers, I am not sure I will be around that long though, I find myself just being really bored lately, and single player just isn't the same. If I stick around for a month I'd be satisfied. I'm in that terrible limbo between MMOs, and there's an itch that single player games just doesn't scratch.

vGrade

Potato del Grande
So who the heck were you? I was in DE for a little while until after the Heist split and I decided Jarina and Paragon were gaylords.
You should have came over to Heist with us Quaid instead of staying the Aleena and Azaghal trying to turn the guild into a casual friends shit hole

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You should have came over to Heist with us Quaid instead of staying the Aleena and Azaghal trying to turn the guild into a casual friends shit hole
Went to Afterlife instead. Kaian made me wanna stab myself in the throat so I decided against heist.

Oh ya... Aleena was a twat. Worst voice ever too. I punked so much shit from that guild when I left. Liquidated it all for like $4000 USD. I mean, technically it was mine anyway, but it was still a big fuck you to them.