World of Warcraft: Current Year

Pironin_sl

shitlord
So I've been debating on getting into WoW. But all I've heard and read are the doom and gloom. Anyone actively playing who could bring me into their guild if I started back. I raided in LK and dabbled in Cata.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
WoW is still in a good place and about to be in an even better place once the merges happen. If you want to start fresh go to a high pop realm. If you want to play an old toon get them up to 90 and in a few weeks they'll be rolling out server merges to make all realms high pop (so they say).

Saladus

Bronze Knight of the Realm
After quitting for what... the 8 or 9th time a few months back, I'm back into it, just playing lightly, and actually enjoying LFR, as opposed to hating it like I did months ago. There's something that this game fulfills that single player games don't. It's my best choice available for now with MMOs

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I definitely don'tenjoyLFR, but insofar as "raiding" on my schedule and not having to concern myself with staying up all night (I live in EST on a PST server =/), it serves. I'm hoping that we'll get an EST realm or two that will merge with us (though I don't know if they're only merging same physical location servers). Barring that, I'll probably try to get in an OpenRaid "guild" and do flex every week.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
So I've been debating on getting into WoW. But all I've heard and read are the doom and gloom. Anyone actively playing who could bring me into their guild if I started back. I raided in LK and dabbled in Cata.
Good luck, if you enjoy pvp it sucks now. If you enjoy raiding, do you enjoy having all your hard earned gear, being earned as dungeon 5 man gear in the next "raid expansion pack" released? This could be an expansion or just a non expansion raid released. Damn game is too casual. Also if you make too much money playing the AH, be prepared to be banned every week if you ever spend the gold or move it to other accounts. Game just isnt what it used to be. The content is fun for sure but watching your hard work/strategy go down the shitter when the next raid comes out + 5 mans with comparable gear to the last one, so that casuals can get into raiding asap, its saddening. Only thing worth it is R1 glad, or server first titles. Even then, not sure if battle.net duping is still out but that sure as hell wrecked the specialness of scarab lords and such.

I played during vanilla/bc/lk/cata/mop and LFR sucks balls. Bunch of stupid people that dont know what they're doing. Best off being the tank so you can lead the group and get shit done, plus instant queues. Or queue with friends/guild only. It's amazing the shitty people you see on looking for raid or looking for group, but hey LFR is so dumbed down you can sit in fire and not die. But hey if you do die, you'll still be able to roll on loot. At least they (allegedly) fixed so you couldnt use PVP ilvl to get into pve LFR queues. As if they didnt learn that before when ilvl first came out. Meh.

/end rant

game needs to die! hell, i havent checked it out due to "donator" rewards but theres a vanilla WoW emu that is supposedly more fun and has at least 1k+ players daily on it, the only downside is players can donate for best in slot (BiS) gear and shit.. brb buying lvl 60 vanilla rogue with empyrean demolisher and ironfoe + pvp gear. wtf

SimSimSalabim

Molten Core Raider
Good luck, if you enjoy pvp it sucks now. If you enjoy raiding, do you enjoy having all your hard earned gear, being earned as dungeon 5 man gear in the next "raid expansion pack" released? This could be an expansion or just a non expansion raid released. Damn game is too casual. Also if you make too much money playing the AH, be prepared to be banned every week if you ever spend the gold or move it to other accounts. Game just isnt what it used to be.The content is fun for surebut watching your hard work/strategy go down the shitter when the next raid comes out + 5 mans with comparable gear to the last one, so that casuals can get into raiding asap, its saddening. Only thing worth it is R1 glad, or server first titles. Even then, not sure if battle.net duping is still out but that sure as hell wrecked the specialness of scarab lords and such.

I played during vanilla/bc/lk/cata/mop and LFR sucks balls. Bunch of stupid people that dont know what they're doing. Best off being the tank so you can lead the group and get shit done, plus instant queues. Or queue with friends/guild only. It's amazing the shitty people you see on looking for raid or looking for group, but hey LFR is so dumbed down you can sit in fire and not die. But hey if you do die, you'll still be able to roll on loot. At least they (allegedly) fixed so you couldnt use PVP ilvl to get into pve LFR queues. As if they didnt learn that before when ilvl first came out. Meh.

/end rant

game needs to die! hell, i havent checked it out due to "donator" rewards but theres a vanilla WoW emu that is supposedly more fun and has at least 1k+ players daily on it, the only downside is players can donate for best in slot (BiS) gear and shit.. brb buying lvl 60 vanilla rogue with empyrean demolisher and ironfoe + pvp gear. wtf
Pointed out the only thing that matters. The rest of your post is fucking retarded. I'm sorry that you can't enjoy a game that you admit has fun content because people can obtain gear roughly equivalent to (but still worse than) the previous, outdated tiers heroic gear by doing a watered down version of the new content and some world content. Your idea that an accomplishment, such as say killing Heroic Lei Shen when it was current content, can be diminished or tossed 'down the shitter' because other people can obtain a similar ilevel is just so mind-blowingly stupid that it makes me do Jackie Chan meme while reading it. By your logic they should never release new raid content or expansions, because shit that new player leveling to 70 and burning crusade blues really diminished the efforts of the people that cleared Naxxramas and Ahn'qiraj.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
At least they (allegedly) fixed so you couldnt use PVP ilvl to get into pve LFR queues. As if they didnt learn that before when ilvl first came out. Meh.
No this has not been changed.

Hit 90 on my shaman alt yesterday and proceeded to run a few heroic 5 mans, turn all justice points into honor and load up on 476 pvp gear to get into LFR.

DavivMcD

Peasant
Also if you make too much money playing the AH, be prepared to be banned every week if you ever spend the gold or move it to other accounts.
Haha someone got caught trading gold, boohoo. Oh yes, I know you have a foolproof explanation, e.g.: "I was just transferring it to my other account, which isn't registered under the same name cuz I don't have to tell you any of my personal info, it's my fuckin' business... Also I use an IP mask so of course one is in China."

The fact that you would spend so much time getting worked up and pissed off about any of the issues you mention shows how much even you enjoy the game. It's just you do a shitty job of playing it well and can't fathom how it's your fault.

The biggest roadblocks in Naxx 40 was a) getting enough geared tanks for 4-Horsemen b) getting enough frost resist gear for Saph

Kel'Thuzad wasn't that hard once you got the encounter down and people didn't die to voidzones/no one died during the add phase.
it was also around the time when they introduced the first Hallows End event that we got our first KT kill; we had everyone in our raid go to Undercity, grab the buff from the Wickerman, go to EPL and capture all the towers for the buff then zone into Naxx and repeat ad nauseum

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Haha someone got caught trading gold, boohoo. Oh yes, I know you have a foolproof explanation, e.g.: "I was just transferring it to my other account, which isn't registered under the same name cuz I don't have to tell you any of my personal info, it's my fuckin' business... Also I use an IP mask so of course one is in China."

The fact that you would spend so much time getting worked up and pissed off about any of the issues you mention shows how much even you enjoy the game. It's just you do a shitty job of playing it well and can't fathom how it's your fault.
Not to play Devil's Advocate, but Blizzards systems are really stupid when it comes to that. For a while when I was playing I would list a few hundred auctions between enchants, gems, glyphs, ect... And I had to deal with twice being flagged for Abuse of Economy bullshit which after a call Blizzard reversed. So don't pretend like their system in foolproof and everyone is selling gold. Although I know how much people love to suck them Blizzard balls around here.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
do you enjoy having all your hard earned gear, being earned as dungeon 5 man gear in the next "raid expansion pack" released?
You say that you played in MoP but you say this? They've said half a hundred times that there would probably never be another mid-expansion 5man dungeon addition because it detracts from time spent on making new raids. If you want to say that things like heroic scenario gear walk all over your "hard earned raid gear" then you'll out yourself as a fool who thinks ilevel trumps sockets, socket bonuses, and tier set bonuses.

They're adding 535 gear in Timeless Isle, but I don't think it's something you can just grind. If you're unhappy with the gear catchups they introduce and you've played since vanilla, I don't know why you'd think that they'd suddenly change what they've been doing since patch 2.0 with emblems of justice.

On another note, a recent interview with Ion Hazzikostas (Lead Encounter Designer) seemed to suggest that they wouldn't be implementing any more valor gear (even in subsequent expansions) in favor of the valor upgrade system. He cited the reason as being LFR gear is 20 ilevels lower than valor gear in 5.2 so people are filling 70% of their slots with valor vendor gear instead of the gear they're getting from LFR, and they want to keep the integrity of the content people are consuming. I think that's a very good change.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As opposed to the Jenna Haze-level tongue lashing the other half gives SoEs cock?

We're all giving some company a decent BJ

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Valor gear going away is great. I don't mind the upgrade system!

Now, get rid of justice points. Or go back to badges for heroic quality blue gear.

GonzytheMage

Golden Knight of the Realm
All you guys harping on gear being outdated is funny. Gear in wow since bc has never transcended content patches. Furthermore lfr, normal, and heroic gear is just there to facilitate your success in whatever content you are currently consuming. I can't understand why its so hard to enjoy whatever level of involvement you put into a game.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
All you guys harping on gear being outdated is funny. Gear in wow since bc has never transcended content patches. Furthermore lfr, normal, and heroic gear is just there to facilitate your success in whatever content you are currently consuming. I can't understand why its so hard to enjoy whatever level of involvement you put into a game.
Tier 2 was in during vanilla and "transcended" past BWL...

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Tier 2 was in duringvanillaand "transcended" past BWL...
All you guys harping on gear being outdated is funny. Gear in wow sincebchas never transcended content patches. Furthermore lfr, normal, and heroic gear is just there to facilitate your success in whatever content you are currently consuming. I can't understand why its so hard to enjoy whatever level of involvement you put into a game.
Relevant parts emphasized.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The valor upgrade system seemed horrible because any points spent on less than the best gear felt wasted, but the valor cap sometimes required dumping upgrades onto an item you'll replace next week.

The whole system is pretty smart from one standpoint - it keeps high end, massively overgeared players running a few dungeons a week to cap their points. Which means undergeared casual terribles can usually get carried through dungeons. Wheras in most games, well geared players abandon dungeons completely a few weeks in. I'm pretty sure that's what the entire system is really about.