World of Warcraft: Current Year

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Once again you are posting in the Shadowlands thread. Can't find your way to the Retard Rickshaw?
This is the wow thread idiot, Shadowlands just happens to be the current expansion. You are the one saying Legion was only good because WoD sucked and trying to back it up based on the state of the Shadowlands. Like a good retard.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
This is the wow thread idiot, Shadowlands just happens to be the current expansion. You are the one saying Legion was only good because WoD sucked and trying to back it up based on the state of the Shadowlands. Like a good retard.
That's not what I said. You either fail utterly at even elementary reading comprehension, or you were triggered like those "plant-based milk-replacement boys" once you read the first half of the opening sentence. I'll try to make this easier on you:

A. Legion was better than WoD because it had more "content". Yes, M+ is also "content". That was good.
B. Legion was not as good as possible, because it laid the foundations for all those systems people hated in BfA and Shadowlands, and they hated a lot of things about Legion as well.

The points A and B can be true at the same time.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Once they burned out the storylines from Warcraft 3/TFT, they kind of didn't know where to go with the story. With no new RTS or games feeding them players/ideas, they had to come up with their own shit. Unfortunately they were never able to recreate anything as interesting as Arthas and even now are just kind of looping back around to try and retcon/revisit those stories. The funniest part is that the Arthas storyline of 'oh no good prince bad now' is not even that great a story, but it didn't need to be for people to care about it.
Two things: First, the storyline doesn't have to be that original to be good, the execution has to be. And you have to nail your archetypes. Arthas for example is the Face-Heel turn personified.

Second: The people who created the franchise-defining characters like Arthas, Illidan and Sylvanas were still there at Blizzard when the story started to go downhill. I trace that back to MoP, and maybe even to Cataclyms. It's just that they didn't create new and interesting characters while they were using the old ones to bring storylines to conclusion with WotLK. Only later did they try to come up with new and interesting characters.

But even given a load of interesting characters they couldn't come up with interesting storylines for them, and squandered a lot of good characters on the way. Sylvanas, Azshara, Alleria, Tyrande, Turalyon, and many more are now basically ruined post-Legion.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Blizzard has a bad habit of 'formalizing' the fun out of things that develop organically in the game. I feel like it stems from this kind of 'our way or the highway' where they can't stand to have things that exist outside of their rules. M+ kind of suffered from this in the sense that Legion M+ was fun because they were regular dungeons with M+ on top of it. People did all kinds of silly shit to those dungeons while running them and it was a good time. BfA, Blizzard detected fun so made sure to start designing the dungeons from the beginning with M+ in mind to ensure they were done 'properly'.

I have no idea how Shadowlands M+ is going, but the idea of speed running the same 8 dungeons for a year doesn't sound like a good time. I'm an RPG player and those soulless AGDQ weirdos are exactly the kind of people I try to stay away from.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
That's not what I said. You either fail utterly at even elementary reading comprehension, or you were triggered like those "plant-based milk-replacement boys" once you read the first half of the opening sentence. I'll try to make this easier on you:

A. Legion was better than WoD because it had more "content". Yes, M+ is also "content". That was good.
B. Legion was not as good as possible, because it laid the foundations for all those systems people hated in BfA and Shadowlands, and they hated a lot of things about Legion as well.

The points A and B can be true at the same time.

When did I ever say Legion was as good as possible? M+ was more than anything ff14 had to offer though. It could have turned into an alternate progession path for pve, like arena and rbg are for pvp. Instead Blizzard made it suck with subsequent iterations of it, no one disagrees with that.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
The simplest measure FOR ME of whether an expansion is good or not is my interest to login and play even after the storyline content is complete. Once I hit that in Shadowlands, I don't think I've logged in more than once or twice. The expansion just didn't do much for me..

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Juvarisx

Florida
After doing M+ at a 15+ level from Legion to the end of Season 1 in Shadowlands I can absolutely say I do not want that shit in FF14. Yes FF14 could use some more challenging 4 man content but I'd prefer it to be more in line with Challenge Mode from MoP then M+. Savage raids being both the best gear + only 8 man lend it to be more accessible and less monotonous. In WoW history has shown the best gear from M+ is typically only done by people who can do the most difficult raids anyways so lends itself to burn out by having to cross path progress.

Keep in mind I truly believe their design philosophy is still based around an Asian audience, where the Japanese servers have Extremes and Minstrel's Ballads via daily roulette instead of Mentor only and the player base is generally higher skilled as a whole. It will be interesting to see how they adapt to a more NA and Euro audience playing regularly.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Legion wasn't even that great a story
Playing through it I thought it was pretty bad writing.

Massive retcon of Illidian
Tirion, main character of WoW's most popular xpac just randomly dies on the introduction quest and thats it unless you do the paladin order hall
Alleria/Turalyon show back up and its like no big deal no issues with their homelands being destroyed
Ysera dies and thats it, nothing comes of it until its mentioned in some tranny questline in SL
But even given a load of interesting characters they couldn't come up with interesting storylines for them, and squandered a lot of good characters on the way. Sylvanas, Azshara, Alleria, Tyrande, Turalyon, and many more are now basically ruined post-Legion.
Yup. Plenty of characters and established stories they could have ran with but nope.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
M+ was more than anything ff14 had to offer though. It could have turned into an alternate progession path for pve, like arena and rbg are for pvp.
Only that FF14 doesn't need an alternate progression path, because it has a simplified gear progression. And just like GW2 maxing out gear for a job is pretty easy. It's all "pretty pretty princess dress-up" after that.

Here's what modern WoW players never seem to really understand: Not everything in an MMO has to be related to obtaining player power (vertical content). You need to have player activities unrelated to player power (horizontal content) so people can enjoy activities in the game for ... fun.

Over the years WoW has liquefied the brains of its players so much that they feel the need to optimize their playtime to keep up with their power progression, so they can "keep up" with current content. Only to then be kicked in the nuts with the next gear reset. Not with the next expansion, mind you, with the next content patch.

Yes FF14 could use some more challenging 4 man content but I'd prefer it to be more in line with Challenge Mode from MoP then M+.
Good news from what Yoshi-P hinted at after being asked for something like M+: He just grinned and said "we are envisioning something like a challenge, like who can be the fastest." But you have to wait for the announcement."

That immediately sounded more like MoP challenge modes than M+ in my head.

• 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
The Legion storyline like all WoW storylines was pure and utterly dogshit. You had Khadgar all up in your balls. They made Ysera die to a no name dream nightmare faggot. They then had golden eyes SSJ3 Illidan kill a Jesus Naaru because of emo issues. Then they forgot they had an ultimate planet slayer golden battleship which after legion we just kind of forgot about. Sargeras stabs the fucking plant with the sword of Voltron and we kind of forget that is has been chilling there since then. The story couldn't have been gayer if it was about 8 dudes blowing 9 dudes.

• 1Like

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Only that FF14 doesn't need an alternate progression path, because it has a simplified gear progression. And just like GW2 maxing out gear for a job is pretty easy. It's all "pretty pretty princess dress-up" after that.

Here's what modern WoW players never seem to really understand: Not everything in an MMO has to be related to obtaining player power (vertical content). You need to have player activities unrelated to player power (horizontal content) so people can enjoy activities in the game for ... fun.

Over the years WoW has liquefied the brains of its players so much that they feel the need to optimize their playtime to keep up with their power progression, so they can "keep up" with current content. Only to then be kicked in the nuts with the next gear reset. Not with the next expansion, mind you, with the next content patch.

Good news from what Yoshi-P hinted at after being asked for something like M+: He just grinned and said "we are envisioning something like a challenge, like who can be the fastest." But you have to wait for the announcement."

That immediately sounded more like MoP challenge modes than M+ in my head.
That's what mage tower was, which was also in Legion.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
That's what mage tower was, which was also in Legion.
And despite them including player scaling to the wider world in 7.3, it didn't occur to Blizzard to fix player power scaling for the mage tower to keep it challenging. By the end of 7.3 everyone just outgeared most of the challenge.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
The Legion storyline like all WoW storylines was pure and utterly dogshit. You had Khadgar all up in your balls. They made Ysera die to a no name dream nightmare faggot. They then had golden eyes SSJ3 Illidan kill a Jesus Naaru because of emo issues. Then they forgot they had an ultimate planet slayer golden battleship which after legion we just kind of forgot about. Sargeras stabs the fucking plant with the sword of Voltron and we kind of forget that is has been chilling there since then. The story couldn't have been gayer if it was about 8 dudes blowing 9 dudes.

If you focus on the lore, sure, but the gameplay in Legion was phenomenal. The challenges, music, everything was a refreshing break from WoD. It did get a little wonky once we went into space and that sword got shoved into Azeroth though, lol.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Blizzard has a bad habit of 'formalizing' the fun out of things that develop organically in the game. I feel like it stems from this kind of 'our way or the highway' where they can't stand to have things that exist outside of their rules. M+ kind of suffered from this in the sense that Legion M+ was fun because they were regular dungeons with M+ on top of it. People did all kinds of silly shit to those dungeons while running them and it was a good time. BfA, Blizzard detected fun so made sure to start designing the dungeons from the beginning with M+ in mind to ensure they were done 'properly'.

I have no idea how Shadowlands M+ is going, but the idea of speed running the same 8 dungeons for a year doesn't sound like a good time. I'm an RPG player and those soulless AGDQ weirdos are exactly the kind of people I try to stay away from.

In BFA M+ had good dungeon design.

Many MDI pros opted out of Shadowlands due to the dungeon design being genuinely not fun. They tested it in beta and said they would rather not play it.

BFA dungeons largely kicked ass in terms of speedrunning and repetitive fun. It is known that BFA to SL was a giant step back in terms of M+ for multiple reasons.

One was Ion's emphasis on raiding, new reward systems, and then as mentioned the dungeon design itself.

Juvarisx

Florida
WoW's gameplay generally has never been an issue other then BFA where they tried to slow it down and it felt like dogshit. The Blizzard team needs to get over themselves and give people shit to do non power related.

Why is the Darkmoon Fair timegated? Like at all, oh no people might get mounts too fast, who fucking cares theres 700 of them now and noone pays attention to each other so its only for the player to enjoy. I spent so much time in the GOld Saucer doing Gates for the shit to buy, and don't get me started on Triple Triad, I am one of the mad men who got almost every card available.

Why is the Brawlers guild never updated AND timegated? It was bad enough when they gated invites but then its hardly updated and hardly around. Is it even back in Shadowlands yet? Fuck make it permanent and update it per expansion. They had a permanent mage tower and like ehhh nope too much work. Fuck. You. It was fun trying to learn how to do the fights on a Ret Paladin, where the fuck is it.

Why can I only run transmogs raids once a week? Fucking open up prior expansion raids to be run as much as you want and disable gold drop. If someone wants to spend 5 straight days farming a set from Cata fucking let them. You think Anyone is impressed when they see Ash's of Al'ar or Invincible? Nope noone is let people grind.

Player Housing needs to be a thing, if EQ2 and FF14 can do it they can do it (or could who the fuck knows). FF14's system is a bit wonky, if you want a house you have to camp it an issue they need to resolve but you can buy an apartment whenever you want and it does everything a house does but you cant have people randomly come by to check it out.

On the subject of housing, where the fuck are Guild Halls? EQ has had that shit for years and you have the tech from WoD to make em an experience to have a never ending upgrade path that people can go out and farm or craft and dump into it for the benefit of everyone.

Make crafting mean something. You can craft pretty good gear in FF14 and could prior in WoW. Why does everything need to be time gated or from the RNG machine once a week in the vault or from spamming M+ runs.

WoW has a huge advantage as the PvP isnt utter dog shit in BG's (idk about arena) add some horizontal player power there that makes it worth while, What the fuck do I care about gear, add shit like battle armor bikini's, stupid mounts, fun titles, dance moves, permanent illusions, etc. Shit isnt hard they have or can hirer the talent to do it.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
WoW's gameplay generally has never been an issue other then BFA where they tried to slow it down and it felt like dogshit. The Blizzard team needs to get over themselves and give people shit to do non power related.

Why is the Darkmoon Fair timegated? Like at all, oh no people might get mounts too fast, who fucking cares theres 700 of them now and noone pays attention to each other so its only for the player to enjoy.

Why is the Brawlers guild never updated AND timegated? It was bad enough when they gated invites but then its hardly updated and hardly around. Is it even back in Shadowlands yet? Fuck make it permanent and update it per expansion.

Why can I only run transmogs raids once a week? Fucking open up prior expansion raids to be run as much as you want and disable gold drop. If someone wants to spend 5 straight days farming a set from Cata fucking let them

Player Housing needs to be a thing, if EQ2 and FF14 can do it they can do it (or could who the fuck knows). FF14's system is a bit wonky, if you want a house you have to camp it an issue they need to resolve but you can buy an apartment whenever you want and it does everything a house does but you cant have people randomly come by to check it out.

Make crafting mean something. You can craft pretty good gear in FF14 and could prior in WoW. Why does everything need to be time gated or from the RNG machine once a week in the vault or from spamming M+ runs.

WoW has a huge advantage as the PvP isnt utter dog shit in BG's (idk about arena) add some horizontal player power there that makes it worth while, What the fuck do I care about gear, add shit like battle armor bikini's, stupid mounts, fun titles, dance moves, permanent illusions, etc. Shit isnt hard they have or can hirer the talent to do it.

So while I agree with your points on time gating being dogshit and something they should most defiantly remove, especially for dated content. I for the life of me cannot understand why so many of you faggots want a goddamn house to play more barbie doll fairy faggot dress up in. It's a stupid concept for stupid people. Nobody cares of wants to see your virtual shit.

tumblr_p97v5xr8mF1xq4az5o1_400.gifv

Nobody cares, never have, never will, eat shit, fuck you. If you so badly need attention put on a transmog, hop on the most faggoty mount you can muster and go stand in the middle of the most convenient mailbox like all the other cunts.

• 1Dislike

Juvarisx

Florida
So while I agree with your points on time gating being dogshit and something they should most defiantly remove, especially for dated content. I for the life of me cannot understand why so many of you faggots want a goddamn house to play more barbie doll fairy faggot dress up in. It's a stupid concept for stupid people. Nobody cares of wants to see your virtual shit.

tumblr_p97v5xr8mF1xq4az5o1_400.gifv

Nobody cares, never have, never will, eat shit, fuck you. If you so badly need attention put on a transmog, hop on the most faggoty mount you can muster and go stand in the middle of the most convenient mailbox like all the other cunts.

FF14 housing is endgame along with transmog. Honestly its just something to do sometimes its okay that its there TO DO. You don't have to do it, hell I didn't till I finished the MSQ but I crafted all the shit that went into it, got a chocobo barn and make him Pink and got a good laugh as a giant pink bird beat the shit out of monsters with me. The argument that you wont see people in the world because of it was totally proven false in my book, its just something to do when you want.

Also there is a crazy FF14 brothel scene that I wont even pretend to understand using Guild Housing. Square is aware and said nope don't care have fun. Just let people do whatever the fuck they want.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The one thing I really wanted them to do is to able to collect all the transmogs on one character, but only be able to use what your character can use for the collected gear. Transmogs stuff is account-wide so you would be able to use the plate transmog stuff you collected on your Mage, and be able to use it for your Paladin/Warrior alt. You just couldn't equip the plate shit on your Mage. The current system forces you to run the old raids on your alt to get those transmogs. It's one thing I hated about their otherwise excellent transmog system.

• 1Truth!