World of Warcraft: Current Year

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I'm sure the bean counters are running those calcs all the time and have an idea when F2P is the way to go.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I don't know why it has to be so complicated.

Gear has gem slots and you put gems into them, raids can drop more powerful gems, they had this solved in Burning Crusade.

Why do they have to be special sockets? Why do they need disabling?

Let people stick 9.1 domination gems into 9.2 gear, if people don't want to farm the 9.1 raid (why isn't your raid fun enough to replay?) then make them tradable or purchasable with 9.2 currency.

They real reason is that they can't be bothered balancing them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Because the domination gem system is a fucking terrible system designed by an incompetent fool. Best to immediately shelve it since it should have never gone live.

• 2Like

Kyougou

<Gold Donor>
I'm sure the bean counters are running those calcs all the time and have an idea when F2P is the way to go.
Its hard to imagine wow going F2P, mostly because I am sure tokes make them crazy bucks right now... the game is kind of? free to play atm... its just that you have to gather the gold first.

And then you have a lot of people buying up those tokens to go ahead and buy in game services like mounts, raid achievements and pvp achievements and so on.
You can buy almost anything in wow atm with gold. Meaning that you can buy all those same things with money.

To go F2P they would have to come up with some sort of replacement for the wow tokens currently.
And that is not very simple.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Its hard to imagine wow going F2P, mostly because I am sure tokes make them crazy bucks right now... the game is kind of? free to play atm... its just that you have to gather the gold first.

And then you have a lot of people buying up those tokens to go ahead and buy in game services like mounts, raid achievements and pvp achievements and so on.
You can buy almost anything in wow atm with gold. Meaning that you can buy all those same things with money.

To go F2P they would have to come up with some sort of replacement for the wow tokens currently.
And that is not very simple.
Yeah that's right, basically WoW Token is their "free to play" system. It's already happened.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not a F2P system because it doesn't bring new players in the door. It's a way for established players with more time than money to keep playing for free, but it's not a F2P system that gets tons of bodies into the game.

• 1Truth!

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Because the domination gem system is a fucking terrible system designed by an incompetent fool. Best to immediately shelve it since it should have never gone live.

Weren't Corruptions totally busted in PvP and the rest of the game? Are late expansion systems just always bullshit?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They can get fifteen more of my dollars with some new allied races and more elf options for Demon Hunters.
Surprisingly they unfucked the void elves and allowed you to turn them into classic high elves with their cosmetic update.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Weren't Corruptions totally busted in PvP and the rest of the game? Are late expansion systems just always bullshit?
Corruptions were busted in all content but they were very fun. At first the acquisition system was fairly RNG which made you have to make interesting choices between BIS stats and Corruptions that were busted in certain content. Later on the acquisition system was changed to allow you to build whatever you wanted, and one of the best ways to farm the currency was to do Arena, which made queues actually fire in a timely manner midseason. And the fact that there were interesting tradeoffs to stacking too much corruption made it even more fun, though you ended up having hunters which could just stack way more corruption in PvE than any other class due to using FD to avoid the negative consequences, or Prot Paladins stacking max corruption and killing people inside of their immunities in PvP.

IMO Corruptions were one of the best kinds of systems to introduce in the final tier, just break the game wide open for the last season after players have been playing within the margins for the previous 3. The implementation wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining.

Shards of Domination were not interesting enough to even be considered a system.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That was something that pissed me off about BFA. Not only the corruption farm was easier if you did PVP, but they had that rune or w/e the fk it was that was BIS for a lot of classes that needed you to PVP. Then, the beginning of Shadowlands, it was far easier to gear out in PVP than it was in PVE. I dont know about late Legion, but I dont remember ever running into ever feeling like I needed or should have PVP'd in that expansion.

I get that some people like PVP in WoW, but I think its just god awful. If I planned on playing WoW again, I might say that I wish they would stop forcing PVE players into PVP. Theyre sacrificing the enjoyment of a lot of players in order to prop up the numbers for the much lower amount of PVP'ers. But fk it, Im in this thread to watch this game burn, so idc.

• 2Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I honestly can't remember the last time, prior to quitting in BFA, I had PVP'd. I vaguely remember doing it during a lull in Legion and realizing I hadn't seen the inside of BG since probably Wrath?

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's not a F2P system because it doesn't bring new players in the door. It's a way for established players with more time than money to keep playing for free, but it's not a F2P system that gets tons of bodies into the game.
Yeah but it's Blizzard and the "Blizzard Way" tm, of course it's backwards and doesn't acheive what it should do.

Everyone else is whale players supporting new players indirectly by paying for the game, Blizzard is whale players supporting old players by buying their gold for real money.

It's too late to dismantle the system now. All they can do is extend the free trial to lv50 and maybe lock it to BFA.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
As if the Blizzard Way exists anymore. I’m sorry, that’s the Dreamhaven Way if anything now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That was something that pissed me off about BFA. Not only the corruption farm was easier if you did PVP, but they had that rune or w/e the fk it was that was BIS for a lot of classes that needed you to PVP. Then, the beginning of Shadowlands, it was far easier to gear out in PVP than it was in PVE. I dont know about late Legion, but I dont remember ever running into ever feeling like I needed or should have PVP'd in that expansion.

I get that some people like PVP in WoW, but I think its just god awful. If I planned on playing WoW again, I might say that I wish they would stop forcing PVE players into PVP. Theyre sacrificing the enjoyment of a lot of players in order to prop up the numbers for the much lower amount of PVP'ers. But fk it, Im in this thread to watch this game burn, so idc.
People on forums say they hate it, but I'll say from actual experience in the game, when you see players frequently engaging in both PvE and PvP it tends to strongly correlate to a healthier and more active community across the board.

• 1Cringe

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, because PvEers can only stomach stepping into shitty WoW PvP when game is healthy enough for them to be willing to do so. If there was zero PVE player power incentive to step into PvP, it would be a complete desert wasteland, like it was when people didn't have to maintain their rating so they immediately quit after they got what they needed. PvP engagement is up when the game is healthy, the game isn't healthy because PvP engagement is up.

• 1Like

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
People on forums say they hate it, but I'll say from actual experience in the game, when you see players frequently engaging in both PvE and PvP it tends to strongly correlate to a healthier and more active community across the board.

I’m old. Classes have way too many hotkeys now for pvp.

• 1Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Chains of Subination

I haven't been in touch with Blizzard products since 9.1 and the scandal but I heard they re-released WoW classic and are doing vanilla locked servers.

At first I thought my friend was playing a emulator because no way Blizzard would be that desperate and go back on TBC. But yep apparently that's the case. They got a fuckton of subs maintained off tricks like that.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I haven't been in touch with Blizzard products since 9.1 and the scandal but I heard they re-released WoW classic and are doing vanilla locked servers.

At first I thought my friend was playing a emulator because no way Blizzard would be that desperate and go back on TBC. But yep apparently that's the case. They got a fuckton of subs maintained off tricks like that.
Emulators are more pleasant experiences than TBC or Vanilla at this point. Try Turtle WoW.