World of Warcraft: Current Year

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, that's why Sylvanas did everything she did. One look at the Shadowlands and she'd commit war crimes every day to keep her from being there for eternity.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
We just walked out of the maw and back onto Azeroth duh. See, they planned the maw walker all along!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Additionally the fact that they did an entire expansion about life and death without addressing the frequency with which PCs get rezzed / respawn feels rather inauthentic.

They kind of address it in one of the Kyrian side objectives with the anima projector where you have to decide each day if you want to resurrect 3 souls or let them pass into the Shadowlands. Most of the ones you end up having to resurrect are because they're either bound to another power (elemental lords, old gods, the Light, etc) or because they still are fated to accomplish something great (so since we are major heroes, we end up getting resurrected a lot).

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
xadevczp7nf81.png

• 12Worf
  • 4Like
Reactions: 15 users

Rime

<Donor>
Maybe its meant to ensure we care more about the fate of Azeroth. We've seen what comes after death and its pretty meh.

Additionally the fact that they did an entire expansion about life and death without addressing the frequency with which PCs get rezzed / respawn feels rather inauthentic.

They also addressed this in Legion. Illidan says something about the players Soul being 'different' and later, you discover that it is Azeroth itself that has been bringing us back again and again, the same way the Burning Legion was using Argus.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
God if I wasn't happy I already quit long ago, the return of tier sets being a slap in the players fucking face would of probably sealed the deal. Microsoft needs to fire damn near everyone at the company and just use the IP because clearly the talent has left the building.

This is super aids and cancer combined.

tier_warrior.jpg

tier_mage.jpg

tier_shaman.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

Magimaster

Trakanon Raider
Lol what the fuck is that 3rd one?

Guessing shaman? Or hunter, maybe. Looks like mail armor at least, in the chest area.

I did get a laugh that the first armor set looks like something out of the god awful Gods of Egypt movie.

• 1Double Worf
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
God if I wasn't happy I already quit long ago, the return of tier sets being a slap in the players fucking face would of probably sealed the deal. Microsoft needs to fire damn near everyone at the company and just use the IP because clearly the talent has left the building.

This is super aids and cancer combined.

tier_warrior.jpg

tier_mage.jpg

tier_shaman.jpg
Pepper, salt and sugar shakers. Weird but thats what I thought of when I saw them. LoL

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
This is the new WoW class fantasy: the working class has to rise and seize the means of production! Oh, wait, wrong meeting notes.

If you haven't paid any attention: a lot of the arts & assets team quit or were "downsized" over the last years, in part because they were too expensive. Sometimes people working there for 10+ years. There was a leak years ago that they have quadrupled external art & asset creation, and most of them are bought from cheap countries. WC3: Reforged was mostly done Lemon Sky from Malaysia.

"But those asians are great at making sexy female characters, look at all those Korean MMO games!" - and herein lies the problem: The people that are still at Blizzard, making those decisions.

Let me show you an interesting job position:

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Dalien

Registered Hodor
I don't feel like that's the case for WoW. I mean I wouldn't be surprised one bit to hear they are downsizing any department, but it feels like the art/graphics team has been carrying WoW for a while now.

Shadowlands is beautiful, especially zones like Bastion and Ardenweald (imo). It's not shit because of the art; it's shit because of the "systems" etc.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
I don't feel like that's the case for WoW. I mean I wouldn't be surprised one bit to hear they are downsizing any department, but it feels like the art/graphics team has been carrying WoW for a while now.

Shadowlands is beautiful, especially zones like Bastion and Ardenweald (imo). It's not shit because of the art; it's shit because of the "systems" etc.
Most places outsource artwork into China/Taiwan/Korea/Other eastern countries now anyways. EQ does it, most places get their 3d models from those countries as it's cheaper labor than housing an in-house team for a handful of assets you'll have them make once and never again.

Concept artists, 3d modelers, animation studios - all of these are mostly outsourced in smaller companies.

Especially if two thirds of your company was thanos'd by sexual harassment / workplace lawsuits; you'd be turning to those companies quickly and from a business perspective it would increase revenues if you paid an eastern outsource studio 40k for that expansion's models, zone artwork, etc, and just had your team do the set dressing.

Take a look at LAKSHYA DIGITAL PVT. LTD.LAKSHYA DIGITAL PVT. LTD. - that's the studio who has done EQ's artwork... Aside from Tom Tobey who does the modeling for EQ/EQ2. He's set to retire soon, and I bet you they'll outsource his work for each expansion cycle as it's easier to pay by the asset than pay Tom Tobey a salary each year.

And it's not like they're a small studio either. Big name AAA titles get their work done from them:

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm gonna give it another go and try the outlaw rogue again but actually put in the effort this time. Going from combat/sword rogue in classic to retail was painful. Keeping up all the buffs while using all your cd's pretty much every pull... i couldn't focus on anything but the rotation which made me die to boss mechanics a lot. I must have looked like a retarded mongoloid to other players. Guess i'm going to have to force my ass over to a target dummy and internalize the rotation and spend hours on weakaura tweaking.