World of Warcraft: Current Year

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Upper management saw the success of Wow in Classic and TBC, and asked: "Why are we paying you clowns so much money to make new content, which by the way everyone of the paypigs seems to hate, when we can just re-release old content and rake in the cash regardless?"

I guess it never really occured to them that they can only sell WoW tokens and pets/mounts/mogs to people actually subscribed to their product.
Joke aside, that's the route they should take. They are not competent anymore to release new content - just release new classic servers with special rules every 9 months and such. Spend 2 hours on different fan boards and you'll get ideas for the next 50 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
Joke aside, that's the route they should take. They are not competent anymore to release new content - just release new classic servers with special rules every 9 months and such. Spend 2 hours on different fan boards and you'll get ideas for the next 50 years.
I wonder if they are even competent enough to do that. Season of Mastery is a disaster and totally misses the mark. And even before that they made tons of really questionable decisions for classic wow like reverting the graphics to 2004, it's like it's being run by the P99 guys.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wonder if they are even competent enough to do that. Season of Mastery is a disaster and totally misses the mark. And even before that they made tons of really questionable decisions for classic wow like reverting the graphics to 2004, it's like it's being run by the P99 guys.
They could call it WoW Lab and each server an experiement so everytime it fails they can say "at least we learned" and hide their incompetence behind that.
But that's true, if the only addition they did to WoW Classic what that male succubus, then they might not be competent enough to run this.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
And even before that they made tons of really questionable decisions for classic wow like reverting the graphics to 2004, it's like it's being run by the P99 guys.
That was the autistic screeching from the private server neckbeards, combined and amplified by a lot of players who had already lost faith in Blizzard making good decisions. Hence all the "NO CHANGES!!!11", which went as well as expected.

If I would start a Season of Mastery I would start baseline with "+100% XP, +200% Loot, Mounts at Level 20, a lot of QoL improvements like integrated threat meter API."

Also, it was a total embarrassment for them when they had to throttle addon-to-addon communication because of threat meters in WoW Classic, because the log radius was (like back in 2004) pretty small. The joke here is that the threat meters worked just like they did in 2004/2005, but this time the Blizzard server infrastructure couldn't handle all the threat meters talking to each other.

TheAylix

Vyemm Raider
It's a slow day at work, so here's that chart from the previous page updated with Shadowland's patch cycle:

shadowlands-patch-timer.png

Shadowlands came out on November 23, 2020.

Patch 9.1 came out on June 29, 2021 - 218 days later.

Patch 9.2 came out on February 22, 2022 - 238 days later.

There hasn't been a final, end-of-expansion patch that's lasted less than 300 days since TBC, over a dozen years ago. I think it's a pretty safe bet that patch 9.2 lasts until mid-December at the very least. That would make Shadowlands the 3rd longest-duration expansion, at 756 days.

If patch 9.2 lasts around 400 days - not unreasonable, when you look at MoP, WoD, and even Legion - then Shadowlands becomes the longest-lasting expansion ever, but is tied for the least amount of content.

• 1Like

Ashin

Silver Knight of the Realm
9.2 will last until August 2023. There is 0 chance that they can pump out a new expansion this new year, given it took them 15 months to produce 1.5 patches worth of content (9.1 was a joke).

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Did some mythic plus with outlaw rogue, its just not fun.. way too much spam and buff tracking. Felt drained after 2 dungeons. What would you guys recommend for a less frantic melee dps spec? Looking at reddit a lot people say a Frost DK, Ret, or DH.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Did some mythic plus with outlaw rogue, its just not fun.. way too much spam and buff tracking. Felt drained after 2 dungeons. What would you guys recommend for a less frantic melee dps spec? Looking at reddit a lot people say a Frost DK, Ret, or DH.
If all you want to do is press 5 buttons and eyebeam shit just play DH. I had a ton of fun for almost 2 years in an otherwise lackluster game because DH is just brainless lol.

Frost DK is pretty easy too.

Ret is also frantic just like Outlaw.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
What would you guys recommend for a less frantic melee dps spec?
If all you want to do is press 3 buttons in the rotation, and maybe a fourth to AE, then Fury Warrior it is. After removing passives your spellbook looks like this:

1648408567908.jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Current enhancement shaman is the most fun melee spec they've ever put together for me, give that a try maybe.

nevergone

Low IQ Vegan Pacifist
<Gold Donor>
I wish crowd control existed in a "modern" MMO like enchanters in EQ or controllers in City of Heroes. I just can't get into the shallow combat of DPS/Tank/Heals.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I wish crowd control existed in a "modern" MMO like enchanters in EQ or controllers in City of Heroes. I just can't get into the shallow combat of DPS/Tank/Heals.
Well vanilla had it. All they had to do was make it a bit more user friendly (eg minor damage not breaking sheep, rogue being able to reapply stun) and it have some sort of an effect on bosses (what if cc immunes got a damage debuff or something instead?).

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cybsled

Warlocks came the closest, with demons anyways. You could charm a demon, banish one, or fear juggle them.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Finale cinematic is out:

Tyrande has really janky body movements.

A bunch more faction leaders show up in Shadowlands making a mockery of the afterlife.

You also see Sylvanas' sisters for half a second in non speaking roles lmao.
Humanity would be significantly improved if everyone involved in that writing was thrown into a bottomless pit.

• 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
City of Heroes controllers was peak MMO fun for me. I loved how it wasn't just variations on sleeping enemies. Knock backs, knock downs, knock ups, sleeps, stuns...so much variety. No other MMO classes have been quite as much fun.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It means 10.0 is probably over a year away, and they have to bridge the content drought somehow. The only ones left playing are the addicts, and they can’t let them experience life without WoW.

More evergreen content is good for the game. They waste all content in prior expansions for no reason. They are starting to introduce prior expansion content into the current game but it’s far too limited or implemented in a shitty manner. TWing should be occurring every single week with a weekly rotation of expansions with each TWing introducing new dungeons into M+ rotation and maybe even old raids with relevant loot or currency acquisition. Also, old raid implementation into TWing is complete shit. It should require organized groups, not random queues.

I've always thought that WoW needed to do what EQ does and have the previous expansion(s) still have viable content to do during the current expansion. In ANY given EQ expansion, people are still doing stuff from the past 1-4 expansions (depending on era) because there are still things WORTH doing. Like permanent stat upgrades for getting all the achievements from a particular raid, for example, or overarching quests that still give a best-in-slot item even when the expansion isn't current anymore. WoW had a chance to do stuff like this with the Legendary Cloak and Legendary Ring by making them scale up and continue to be BIS later, but instead they just removed them from the game. Under these circumstances, and with no AAs or out-of-era content worth doing, people are gonna be empty-handed very quickly.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I've always thought that WoW needed to do what EQ does and have the previous expansion(s) still have viable content to do during the current expansion. In ANY given EQ expansion, people are still doing stuff from the past 1-4 expansions (depending on era) because there are still things WORTH doing. Like permanent stat upgrades for getting all the achievements from a particular raid, for example, or overarching quests that still give a best-in-slot item even when the expansion isn't current anymore. WoW had a chance to do stuff like this with the Legendary Cloak and Legendary Ring by making them scale up and continue to be BIS later, but instead they just removed them from the game. Under these circumstances, and with no AAs or out-of-era content worth doing, people are gonna be empty-handed very quickly.

This should have always been the case. Blizzard negating 99% of their content each new patch is the equivalent of them punching themselves in the dick repeatedly.

• 4Like
  • 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

WoW will never have enchanters. Their opinion of their playerbase is waaaaay too low to introduce a complex class like that that could frighten people off.

...and they're probably right.

• 1Like