Dracthyr cosplay already starting up.

4023161672_f2e0989a91_b.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I've always thought that WoW needed to do what EQ does and have the previous expansion(s) still have viable content to do during the current expansion.

Absolutely this. I have long maintained that WoW's design was very, very short sighted because for a very long time they were the only real player in town (like the Facebook of MMO's, no one truly loves it, but where are they going to go?).

Every expansion WoW intentionally shrunk their game world, and reduced the player experience for the sake of the new content. Even worse when Badges were introduced, they went the route of regressive content rewards, pushing max level players to run old content to farm gear (around WotLK), and cutting into the player experience of players who the content was level relevant for, again dramatically pushing players past/through content.

The content strategy as far as the player experience was an absolute mess, and the world building was just one wasted effort. Thats why the game turned away from being free form and players building groups and experiencing content and engaging world pvp, to mass LFR queuing blitzing content and walled off arenas. Such a massive waste. If you look back at vanilla instances like Scholomance, Stratholme, Shadowfang Keep, or LBRS you see a huge change in philosophy compared to later expansions.

First they killed the Warcraft (gutting the PvP and neutering the differences between the Alliance and Horde), then they buried the World (First with making old content meaningless every expansion, then post Cataclysm and the decline of real dungeons and large raids).

I had this argument years ago with Furor (on the old boards).

Last edited:
  • 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Hard gear resets per patch weren't really a thing until WOTLK around Ulduar IIRC.

Chapell

Trakanon Raider
If you still give your money to Blizzard after that, you really deserve Biden as president.

• 2Worf

Warmuth

Molten Core Raider
Don't know if it's women specifically or console kiddies that have now grown up but I agree that the game's unrecognizable from what it once was and the target audience has changed completely. All the older talent is clearly long gone and their vision along with it.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm no longer the target audience for retail so I'll just keep messing with classic. I'm actually pleasantly surprised to hear that they're launching WotLK without the dungeon finder, so there's at least some people left at Blizzard that realize what direction not to take again. The future looks to be two entirely different versions of the same game attracting different audiences. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that TLPs/classic is what is keeping the lights on at EQ and I bet WoW is going the same way.

Every single person in those videos is completely effeminate and the game reflects it in every way.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>

gliding aint flying. It's faggotry, useless gimmick. I bet you can't effectively use that to farm ore/herbs. It's just some bullshit mechanic to get around the fact that there won't be any real flying in new zones. And you can't even use your real mounts, only gay dragon things... No one wants a fucking minigame to go from point A to point B. People just want to get on their mounts and go where they wanna go the fastest way possible. Not glide around, swoop and shit. Fucking blizzard fag devs. It took them less than a day to fuck this up.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
How about instead of stripping the mechanic down to its absolute barest of bones and then require the player to do chores for weeks to months over multiple content patches you start with it doing what people expect out of flying and then work to unlock shit that makes it fly like a stunt plane with big loop de loops and corkscrews and other shit. Basically staple a fantasy flight simulator on to the existing system. This kind of shit -

and then dailies where you try and collect rings along obstacle courses and a mechanic where you can race other players. Maybe even have a raid encounter where you have to assault a boss mob in a manner not to dissimilar to the planes attacking King Kong.
This is it. Cataclysm levelling where you just flew over everything was dogshit, they have to have some sort of unlock system.

So like you say, if they are going to take away flying and make it grind locked gliding then they have to add in enough flying simulator content to make up for it.

Gathering/treasure nodes that are super hard to reach, flying combat, flying only enemies/bosses, lots of flying specific dailies and most importantly player races and rankings.

FF14 has a fairly deep racing simulator and mount customising system that's pretty fun, this should be their priority.

Problems are:
1) Mists of Pandaria already had half of this stuff including races and they abandoned it. They will abandon this too.

2) It's expansion specific again, what are we grinding to fly in the next expansion? Who fucking knows, they don't.

This has to be how it works in every expansion continent from now and be a feature they iterate on based on feedback. They haven't added an evergreen persistent feature since M+ and nothing non combat related since Transmog and Combat Pets.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Asmon was reacting to this interview with Ion:

I had seen some older vids by that Hazel chick before, and seeing her now, I made a comment that she looked as if she was on a drug kick. She does, bad complexion, bad teeth, maybe even thinner. Got banned. lol.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So Asmon was reacting to this interview with Ion:

I had seen some older vids by that Hazel chick before, and seeing her now, I made a comment that she looked as if she was on a drug kick. She does, bad complexion, bad teeth, maybe even thinner. Got banned. lol.
He and his mods have only gotten worse about stomping out any critiquing of peoples looks on his stream (if thats where you got banned.) But yes, she does look like she has Meth Mouth now compared to the last video of hers I watched dating all the way back to Legion.

Cybsled

This shit is designed for women by women. Vanilla was campy and had plenty of lame shit that appealed to females and it helped the game gain a broader base but it’s gone completely to that side where the game is explicitly designed to appeal to people that want kitty cat mounts. As much as people say they don’t care who makes the game there’s no getting around the fact that the people currently making this game look and sound exactly like the type of people who would make this game.

Eh it’s a double edged sword. Early WoW had a lot of pop culture references or meme stuff. A lot of that does age poorly - not that it is too “vulgar”, but you get some stuff that is less funny/clever or anachronistic. A beeper or VCR joke can be funny to older people, but younger people would be all “the fucks a VCR?”

• 1Pathetic

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>

I enjoy the abandoning of 1/3rd of content story/raids.. makes the meme much more accurate.

When you realize how much planned content has been straight up abandoned over the years it's fucking criminal. It's also why I miss the early days when they had to release full expansions at launch. Hard to cut content when you had to announce it on day one.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Cybsled

I kind of feel bad for that dev - the entire segment they just completely came across as they didn’t want to be in that video.

• 1Moron

Chris

Potato del Grande
I kind of feel bad for that dev - the entire segment they just completely came across as they didn’t want to be in that video.
It's such a weird staged thing talking to each other like that. I bet they did multiple takes and had a "relateability" advisor and HR calculating the diversity statistics.

FF14 just have an hour or two livestream showing everything off and talking to the livestream viewers, comes across totally natural and it's even via a fucking translator lol.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users