World of Warcraft: Current Year

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why would Metzen -want- to come back? Seems to me that he won't be in a decision making position.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Why would Metzen -want- to come back? Seems to me that he won't be in a decision making position.
You could probably go down any rabbit hole since Legion was so well received and he left just a month after its release. But its literally as basic as him having panic attacks constantly, wanting to spend time with his brand new kid (which by now is probably in School all day), and nerding out with his friends doing (and) making nerd shit other nerds might want.

Basically, him coming back as an Advisor probably pays really well since the story "surprise surprise" fucking matters to Blizzard now (not that I have any faith they'll do a good job with it because of the corporate atmosphere). He probably wants to see if all the changes that have happened to the company in the past couple years have created a new atmosphere where he doesnt have panic attacks all the time (Less corporate BS being rammed down his throat). Lastly, his last major nerd project just finished up not too long ago and he's probably bored as fuck sitting at home.

As an advisor, he can easily escape from the company at any point and all this nerd jesus stuff is hopium.

Kiki

Log Wizard
Doesn't seem like a whole lot of content. You could easily do it in 1 day a week. For casuals, what is there to do? You have to wait 3 days for more world quests? You get M+ and pvp. 1 raid. That's it. There's no reason to login.

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Doesn't seem like a whole lot of content. You could easily do it in 1 day a week. For casuals, what is there to do? You have to wait 3 days for more world quests? You get M+ and pvp. 1 raid. That's it. There's no reason to login.
If you don't raid, pvp or m+, the fuck are you playing wow for? Did you just exist to do world quests in past expansions?

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
They've just had the best expansion launch in terms of player reception, they cleaned house of a lot of employees (some of which he might not want to interact with) and probably gave him a fat stack of cash to boot.

It's a perfect time for the company and his career, tbh.

Cybsled

They've just had the best expansion launch in terms of player reception, they cleaned house of a lot of employees (some of which he might not want to interact with) and probably gave him a fat stack of cash to boot.

Honestly I wouldn't be shocked if all the recent focus on FF14 story and Blizzard's now apparent willingness to embrace story a bit more to try to match that helped entice him back. He is clearly a lore/story guy, but I suspect he had to butt heads against the "lol skip cutscene, who reads text OMEGALUL" crowd previously and also experienced perhaps some creative burnout.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it definitely wasn't like this at Wrath launch! Casuals were getting blasted with content back then!

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Wasn't Metzen balls deep in the Riot mmo? Guess he saw that it's gonna be a total disaster and bailed

• 1GreNeg
Reactions: 1 user

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Excited to see if they continue the fated raids trend sometime during the expansion. Would love to see them try some legacy content raids as fated and upgrade the loot.

I wondered if they would go that route, given how there's an achievement that is listed as "Mythic: Fated Raids of The Shadowlands", which could imply that's the next step.
Also ties in nicely with doing that upgrade instead of WoW Classic: Cataclysm.

Kiki

Log Wizard
If you don't raid, pvp or m+, the fuck are you playing wow for? Did you just exist to do world quests in past expansions?

I don't know why they play wow, transmog contests? I'm saying there isn't enough content for either kind of player. This shit is going to fall off a fucking cliff.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Yeah the guy who wrote about demi gods being raped to produce children for use as war machines is going to mesh well with woke retards creating crippled dragons in wheel chairs and deaf centaur faction leaders.

If you think this is anything other than someone accepting a nice payday to be nothing more than a pr/yesman, youre a fool.

• 1Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Jox

Molten Core Raider
I don't know why they play wow, transmog contests? I'm saying there isn't enough content for either kind of player. This shit is going to fall off a fucking cliff.
Both kinds of players have no content to do? What are you smoking? If you raid, you're raiding, there's a raid out.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
More likely they aren’t playing and just shitting up the thread because that’s what people like to do here.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users