World of Warcraft: Current Year

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiki

Log Wizard
If you fucked up your points you gotta wait for more but at least they are patching category unlocks at lower levels so they will unlock at 60/75 instead of 75/100 in case you fucked that up too.

This patch will be Jan 24. Maybe we get trading post too.

Cybsled

Sales must be very poor despite this expansion being well received. This is their second incentive to buy the expansion in a month.
The brand was damaged by the past 2 expansions, the recent trend of “initial reaction vs later reaction”, and their Playerbase realizing there was WoW alternative MMOs like FF14. Trust is hard to regain.

I’m on the fence for those 3 reasons after effectively quitting in early BFA and I am sure many others are as well

It is also possible Activision never adjusted their own internal metrics and in order to make up for less daily user interactions, they need more players to shore up those numbers

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard

Sales must be very poor despite this expansion being well received. This is their second incentive to buy the expansion in a month.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is completely in the shitter. I logged on before my sub ran out. 3 weeks into the expansion. I flew around the new areas during prime time gaming, and only a handful of people showed up in who.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wouldn't be surprised if it is completely in the shitter. I logged on before my sub ran out. 3 weeks into the expansion. I flew around the new areas during prime time gaming, and only a handful of people showed up in who.
/who is broke and only shows people in your shard (or some such nonsense).

They turned sharding up to 11 in this xpac, to the extent that when I will do a /who on a friends guild (on the same low/med pop server), it will show 3 or 4 people on, when there are 10+.

Due to the fact that /who could help count server populations, I doubt it will be fixed any time soon, if they didn't break it on purpose.

Fucker

Log Wizard
/who is broke and only shows people in your shard (or some such nonsense).

They turned sharding up to 11 in this xpac, to the extent that when I will do a /who on a friends guild (on the same low/med pop server), it will show 3 or 4 people on, when there are 10+.

Due to the fact that /who could help count server populations, I doubt it will be fixed any time soon, if they didn't break it on purpose.
Ahhh, ok.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It’s far from perfect but compared to the last several expansions, DF is damn good. I think the main thing holding it back is their decision to make M+ miserably hard. My guild raids mythic, but I can’t group with over half my guild if I want to time a 17+.

• 1Like

Jox

Molten Core Raider
Not timing 17s is just the players being bad not the dungeons being hard. Most groups kill 2/8M and can't kill Heroic Raz, they are technically mythic raiders.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
What is it with the rare respawn times in DF? People claim there is no daily rotation but I spent 6-8 hours in some spots and nothing showed up. Doesn't help that there is a constant trail of people checking all the rare spawn locations so moving around is a no go strategy.

Chris

Potato del Grande
The brand was damaged by the past 2 expansions, the recent trend of “initial reaction vs later reaction”, and their Playerbase realizing there was WoW alternative MMOs like FF14. Trust is hard to regain.
I have no data on this bit I think that even worse than FF14 blowing up was Elden Ring.

Now there's an alternative modern MMO that's better on the "modern" stuff AND an alternative RPG that has the "classic" feel but is a new game with up to date graphics.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Legion was the last xpac that was awesome. The woke rot that was starting to seep in when it was getting made turned into full blown AIDS by the time BFA came out. It is at the heart of why production levels plummeted so horribly. Artifacts were by far the most awesome thing they have ever done, and it's a shame that they retreated from that. Having each class and each spec be viable and unique instead of the bland homogeneous shit they are now was gameplay at its finest, and made it a joy to log in each day and play lots of different toons.

Now that I have poked more into the profession changes it seems like they are almost laying the groundwork for that type of thing again.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Penance

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
They almost had something with islands and they never iterated on it. PvPvE is actually an amazing idea in WOW if they could do it right. Shit why they haven't tried a moba type of game mode that allowed you baseline stats and upgrades throughout the match is beyond me.

They could even do something like mirrored MDI runs for fun type of PvPvE.

Warfronts are probably up there with the worst thing they've ever implemented but they had the theme of them right. Being a pawn on the battlefield mining and gathering stuff for a base is very warcraft-eque. The implementation and design was just god awful.

But yea Artifacts were the best this story has ever been. Getting extra lore on stuff like Void Lords, Demons, famous Orcs and Humans and relics of the past was amazing. Thought they were going to do that with covenants in SL where it was basically just a fan service expac but fucking lol how that turned out.

• 1Like

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Since I’m playing classic a lot, I could easily see myself playing “classic” legion with a handful of classes I didn’t play then. It was a blast. Draenor blew. Panda was good class design but I hated the content. Cata I enjoyed leveling and the raids but it just doesn’t suck me in.

Merrith

Legion was the one I came back for after like 6.5 years away from the game. Never really played Cata other than leveling through the zones to 85 before SWTOR came out, didn't do any of the raids or whatever...skipped Pandas and WoD. The artifacts were such a cool incentive to play other classes/specs as others have mentioned. The class order halls were just the right amount of mission board/other stuff that it didn't seem like a chore.

I think they just ran into the problem of so many of the artifact stuff becoming so important to class identity/rotations, that when they wanted to move on to their next "COOL NEW EXPAC FEATURE" (in BFA's case, Azerite Armor), they had to go away from artifacts and doing it right away was the absolute worst way to do it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
They almost had something with islands and they never iterated on it. PvPvE is actually an amazing idea in WOW if they could do it right. Shit why they haven't tried a moba type of game mode that allowed you baseline stats and upgrades throughout the match is beyond me.

They could even do something like mirrored MDI runs for fun type of PvPvE.

Warfronts are probably up there with the worst thing they've ever implemented but they had the theme of them right. Being a pawn on the battlefield mining and gathering stuff for a base is very warcraft-eque. The implementation and design was just god awful.

But yea Artifacts were the best this story has ever been. Getting extra lore on stuff like Void Lords, Demons, famous Orcs and Humans and relics of the past was amazing. Thought they were going to do that with covenants in SL where it was basically just a fan service expac but fucking lol how that turned out.
They have a pattern of introducing a feature then abandoning it instead of iterating it if it isn't producing enough "engagement".

Meanwhile mission tables got iterated worse multiple times because it was easy enough to click it once a day even though it was shit.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Cybsled

They have a pattern of introducing a feature then abandoning it instead of iterating it if it isn't producing enough "engagement".

Meanwhile mission tables got iterated worse multiple times because it was easy enough to click ot once a day even though it was shit.

This is a good observation of part of the flaw with their design philosophy. They’re fairly quick to abandon features rather than try to refine them, although that goes hand in hand with the relatively “stand alone” nature of each xpac.

Merrith

This is a good observation of part of the flaw with their design philosophy. They’re fairly quick to abandon features rather than try to refine them, although that goes hand in hand with the relatively “stand alone” nature of each xpac.

Was pretty telling with the interview with Ion or whoever where they made it clear that even back at end of Legion, they already knew what the "new feature" was going to be fore Shadowlands, 2 expansions later. They don't seem to care about redesigning existing features to be better if they aren't working right away, b/c they're already on to whatever they think the next "cool idea" will be.

Daidraco

Legion was when FOH guild came back in the greatest numbers. Not once did the FoH guild ever have that kind of presence. Every other expansion has had a mediocre showing at best. WOD at the beginning had quite a few of us, but nowhere near as many as Legion had and for the length of time, too.

I cant quite put my finger on what was different about the mission table in WOD - but something about collecting followers and gearring them up was a lot more enjoyable than the legion table, and far more enjoyable than anything past Legion. It had the greatest pairing between an AFK Mobile game and a TCG game, together. From Legion on, they just kept stripping away parts of it that people complained about and in SL's it was a poorly balanced mess that was damn near pointless.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Merrith

Legion was when FOH guild came back in the greatest numbers. Not once did the FoH guild ever have that kind of presence. Every other expansion has had a mediocre showing at best. WOD at the beginning had quite a few of us, but nowhere near as many as Legion had and for the length of time, too.

I cant quite put my finger on what was different about the mission table in WOD - but something about collecting followers and gearring them up was a lot more enjoyable than the legion table, and far more enjoyable than anything past Legion. It had the greatest pairing between an AFK Mobile game and a TCG game, together. From Legion on, they just kept stripping away parts of it that people complained about and in SL's it was a poorly balanced mess that was damn near pointless.

Think I would have enjoyed WoD's table more had I played it when it was current content. Going back searching for followers when it was out of date just wasn't the same. I liked the Legion one just b/c I got in late in Legion's lifecycle so I was able to go through a ton of progression on the table for my companions as I blitzed through the content. Legion just felt so damn fresh coming back to the game.