World of Warcraft: Current Year

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
IDK, as has been said quality experiences that don't fuck around exist. Like Elden Ring.

I can stomach some gay centaurs if the overall game direction is heavily steered towards a Classic+ style over whatever today's engagement metrics focused trash is.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Bobbeh is a fucking genius. Hiring Metzen will give Blizzafd at least a couple of years of time just to release shitty patches/expansion etc. Because the simps will be OD'ing on copium. Every time something utter garbage is put out there, fanboys will go into full defense mode "let him cook" "he hasn't had enough time" and so on

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Our generations make time for a good game. But lives are needy. 1 week. 2 weeks. a month. 3 months. a half a year. a year. 2 years 5 years. 10 years. a decade. 2 decades. cradle to grave.

We didn't have lives 30-35 years ago. The world we grew up in no longer exists.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Our generations make time for a good game. But lives are needy. 1 week. 2 weeks. a month. 3 months. a half a year. a year. 2 years 5 years. 10 years. a decade. 2 decades. cradle to grave.

I agree with the sentiment but I'm against the concept that a game must require wasting time rather than simply reward spending time.

The issue is there's a careful balancing act between convenience and immersion that got lost along the way and inefficient systems and UI got replaced with more capable ones and piles of shitty repetitive content to keep playtime metrics up.

Also, classic proved once and for all that you can have a mechanically simple, accessible game that is "easy" but still enjoyed by tons of people. You can just literally add content and not systems (or certainly not frequent disposable ones) and it would be fine.

• 2Like

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Classic proved "at the time" that that type of game worked. It was new, it was fresh and it was fun.

More of the same doesn't work. There has to be new, there has to be fresh, and there has to be fun. They got some changes right, and some changes wrong. Different subsets of the population liked some of the things, others hated it. Once the new wore off people wandered away.

Now, new is harder. Kids are pummeled with so much more, so much earlier than we were. We had to solve problems, they can just google it. Remember game magazines and cheat books was a million dollar industry. Now, youtube.

I sure wish I could design the next great game. I also wish I could trim my toenails with little effort. Ahh well.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Classic proved "at the time" that that type of game worked. It was new, it was fresh and it was fun.

More of the same doesn't work. There has to be new, there has to be fresh, and there has to be fun. They got some changes right, and some changes wrong. Different subsets of the population liked some of the things, others hated it. Once the new wore off people wandered away.

Now, new is harder. Kids are pummeled with so much more, so much earlier than we were. We had to solve problems, they can just google it. Remember game magazines and cheat books was a million dollar industry. Now, youtube.

I sure wish I could design the next great game. I also wish I could trim my toenails with little effort. Ahh well.

Hey did you know they re-released classic? There's actual data from current_year about this.

And OSRS before that.

• 1Like

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

Well, if we wait long enough (see: Pantheon release), we won't have lives anymore. Here's to hoping my old people's home has quick internet!

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hey did you know they re-released classic? There's actual data from current_year about this.

And OSRS before that.
Yep and people made time for it. Because it was a good game. 1 week... 2 weeks... a Month...
Time keeps on slippin man.
Slippin into the future...

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yep and people made time for it. Because it was a good game. 1 week... 2 weeks... a Month...
Time keeps on slippin man.
Slippin into the future...
keenan-thompson-confused.gif

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Thinking on it, those two leaks aren't actually mutually exclusive. Metzen's title and the recent Hearthstone layoffs actually support both.

Imagine this at Blizzcon: Ion gets up on stage and meekly announces retail is going free to play and the trading post is going to have premium paid battle pass now. The next retail micro dlc expansion is some garbage void thing on a purple planet yayyyyyy. The crowd begins to filter out of the room as it seems the presentation is ending early and the retail B team is going over bullet points.

But the lights go out. A metal guitarist starts chug, chug, chug. Smoke has quickly filled the auditorium as lasers light up. The music rises as a stunned Ion looks around on stage, not sure what's about to happen. The center of the stage opens and Chris Metzen rises out of the floor as the metal guitar reaches a crescendo and drums kick in.

The audience is stunned as the lights come back, and through the screaming power ballad Metzen yells "FOR THE HORDE" as the retail PowerPoint presentation on their battle pass features goes dark and is replaced with just the word "Classic". Ion falls over, stunned by the spectacle, as a red plus comes onto the screen and the entire auditorium erupts in cheers.

• 3Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ah shit now there's a rumor Ion will resign after Blizzcon. Both leaks supported by this new one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Imagine this at Blizzcon

- BlizzCon main stage scene goes dark
- WoW vanilla main theme starts playing
- Mike Ybarra comes up on stage with a Warcraft Rumble shirt, jokes about employee ranking system and announces that remote work is now a criminal offense in California
- Crowd applauds
- "And now, I'm happy to introduce The Man, The Legend, The Genius behind World of Warcraft, ladies and gentlemen!"
- Heavy Metal theme
- Crowd cheers
- "METZEN! METZEN!"
- Ybarra retires from the stage, changes his Warcraft Rumble shirt for a Overwatch 3 sweater and heads to another stage
- A dark shadow comes
- Doesn't look like Metzen
- Agitation in the crowd as Anaheim Police Department officers in plain clothes arrest 3 people wearing red shirts
- Wait it's not Metzen at all
- It's Ion
- Wearing a fucking Sargeras Sword shirt
- Starts to explain how while we all were busy with flying lizards shenanigans, a dark and unsuspected threat is now menacing Azeroth
- Trailer plays
- World of Warcraft: Moon
- We're going to the Moon, guys
- Khadgar is on the Moon, brief scene shows him in a crater, building a trading post
- Trailer ends
- Lessons were learned
- Player and guild housing (everything can only be bought with trading post currency)
- Housing-centered expansion
- Housing-centered raids and M+ content, where players, with trading post currency, will be able to build their own PvE content
- Is ion having a gigantic hardon, or is it just his mic cable doing down his trousers?
- New race: moon elves
- New class: architect
- Many more to see at WoW panels
- Then Ion takes a pause
- "A new expansion brings the occasion to bring back old folks"
- Crowd howls
- METZEN! METZEN!
- A dark shadow comes
- Still doesn't look like Metzen
- Wait who's this
- It's Brian Holinka and he's barechest
- He looks drunk
- Drops his notes, starts to mumble about football and solo queue for support class, he's not wearing a mic, crowd starts to boo him
- Stares at Ion for about 45s then tries to takes Ion's mic
- It wasn't his mic cable after all
- Stage goes dark
- Crowd is shocked, silent, you can hear crying somewhere
- Only one person is smiling
- He's in an autograph booth, wearing a Thrall shirt
- It's fucking Chris Metzen
- He goes back signing Microsoft mugs and calendars, convinced he did the right choice

• 4Worf

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Furor walks out on stage he just go through raping some dumb broad in the Cosby Suite.

Announces that Microsoft has given the green light and in 14 fucking days he is through jumping through their idiotic hoops.

New games drops:

Rock N Roll racing 2024
The Lost Vikings 3
World of Starcraft

Screen starts blaring "It's about Damn Time."

• 4Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Furor walks out on stage he just go through raping some dumb broad in the Cosby Suite.

Announces that Microsoft has given the green light and in 14 fucking days he is through jumping through their idiotic hoops.

New games drops:

Rock N Roll racing 2024
The Lost Vikings 3
World of Starcraft

accepted-we-have-a-deal.gif

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord

New games drops:

Rock N Roll racing 2024
The Lost Vikings 3
World of Starcraft

erection GIF

• 1Worf

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Well I would be stoked for a Classic+ official. I would absolutely play that. Playing Turtle Wow Classic+ its just really impressive how well the base game holds up. Just a few QOL changes and talent reorganizations make all the difference for some of the classes that struggled in era. More dungeons, quests, attunements, items to hunt, keys, less ballcrushingly stupid raids.

Turtle Wow militantly crushes goldsellers and all RMT transactions though with immediate bans. It is so strict that its not even visible. Unfortunately I don't see Bliz doing that.

Hits the spot when I just want a relaxing game to chillout to really. Main reason to want the Bliz version is private devs are very limited in what they can bootstrap into the game and of course Bliz wouldn't have that limitations.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Well I would be stoked for a Classic+ official. I would absolutely play that. Playing Turtle Wow Classic+ its just really impressive how well the base game holds up. Just a few QOL changes and talent reorganizations make all the difference for some of the classes that struggled in era. More dungeons, quests, attunements, items to hunt, keys, less ballcrushingly stupid raids.

Turtle Wow militantly crushes goldsellers and all RMT transactions though with immediate bans. It is so strict that its not even visible. Unfortunately I don't see Bliz doing that.

Hits the spot when I just want a relaxing game to chillout to really. Main reason to want the Bliz version is private devs are very limited in what they can bootstrap into the game and of course Bliz wouldn't have that limitations.

Yeah Bliz pretty much endorses gold selling at this point, and it requires actual GM staff to end it judicially. So they won't do it.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Blizzard should remove Petrification potions from Hardcore. The meta around them makes them super fake and gay. Or just increase the ghetto hearth timer to like 30 minutes to prevent the abuse of them. Unless you poopsock so hard that you run around with 30 petri potions at all times and sit there.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users