World of Warcraft: Current Year

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Timeless Isle is the primary thing to do once you hit 90. This will pretty much get you outfitted with everything except weapon and a single trinket. Depending on how lucky you are you will get a burden or two. Download the handy notes plugin for timeless isle, helps make sure you get all the chests open. Try and hit up / tag celestials for a small chance of 553 legs / hands.

Depending on your class, look at the 553 crafted waist / leggings on the AH. They are usually pretty good and give a quick ilvl shot to balance out some lower items. Also check out the crafted weapons that are available. I was able to get a 502 2h for my DK when I hit 90 as someone was selling it for cheap.

Make sure to turn in your charms for warforged seals and start burning them on bosses that drop critical pieces of gear, weapon is generally the biggest for DPS types.

I found this link useful for gearing up.FAQ: I'm a fresh 90, how do I gear up? PATCH 5.4 edition : wow

Getting 496 is probably the first goal for SoO, but getting a good weapon and around ilvl 520 should be quick after it. At that point you can get in on Flex. From my limited experience, Flex is easier, saner, and a better experience than LFR. You do have to know the fights though which can take a week or two of LFR. There are also new mechanics to read up on.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I suppose it's just a factor of time, but I had quite a bit of fun hanging out on Timeless Isle on my prot/holy paladin. Running from rare spawn to rare spawn, trying to get a hit in before it died so I could try and get the loots. Then my mage recently hit 90, and I couldn't be bothered to run it past getting the free chests. I have a hunter coming back up, and it may be different, but I suspect I'll run it very similar. Just not interested. lol

On my mage, I got up to about 485 iLvl from the Isle, and then moved into ToT LFR. That was more fun for me than sitting on the Isle, hoping for drops from the rare spawns.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
They upped the timeless coin weapons from 476 to 489 which makes them a bit more appealing. I think I'd still probably spend all my coins as a new 90 on the mogu charms though so I could extra roll on every boss (with loot upgrades) in ToT LFR. But if you are short on time and won't get to run LFR too often, the 489 is probably worth it.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They upped the timeless coin weapons from 476 to 489 which makes them a bit more appealing. I think I'd still probably spend all my coins as a new 90 on the mogu charms though so I could extra roll on every boss (with loot upgrades) in ToT LFR. But if you are short on time and won't get to run LFR too often, the 489 is probably worth it.
I've had terrible luck getting rings or trinkets from the Isle, and so I was able to pick up both trinkets, and a ring using justice points. As a prot paladin was super simple to spam heroics to get justice points. As a DPS, it's a little more difficult though. They are 496 iLvl, so will help you get into SoO LFR more quickly.

bixxby

Molten Core Raider
Can always just pvp too, current honor weapons are ilevel 522. Has the honor boost hotfix gone in yet?

Insomnia_sl

shitlord
I've had terrible luck getting rings or trinkets from the Isle, and so I was able to pick up both trinkets, and a ring using justice points. As a prot paladin was super simple to spam heroics to get justice points. As a DPS, it's a little more difficult though. They are 496 iLvl, so will help you get into SoO LFR more quickly.
I was having the same problem with my DK, down to just needing to replace that 450 ring cause I was having bad luck with any ring from TI or raids. Then the other night I killed Jakur and had the first hit on one of the elite adds. And just like that a ring and a burden in the same drop.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Just read their blog post about health and healing changes with WoD. It seems to make sense from an overall intent perspective, but the notion that healers gearing up = treading water with respect to percent of max health seems fucked from a player progression point of view. Yeah we all know that after a few content updates in Mists that healers got to a point of being able to overheal like crazy, but that is the only way some of the LFR content ever worked. Net effect is that you don't gear up to be more powerful but rather to lower the penalty of the new content and that is a big psychological difference. Again I like their notion that they want healing to be more interesting and have people exist at values between 0 and 100% health, but no one really looks at the magnitude of health, just the percentage of max health and anything under 100 is viewed as ENTIRELY the healers fault. That is going to be a big cultural adjustment.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It just looks like they are revisiting Triage healing and well.. I dont recall that going very well.

The Healing Changes in WOD, article.
Player Health and Resilience
In the next expansion, we're planning several interconnected changes designed to provide better-tuned gameplay for healers and improve the healing dynamic in PvP.

The high amount of base Resilience and Battle Fatigue in Mists of Pandaria currently causes characters to feel much weaker in PvP than they do in PvE. To address this disparity, we're approaching Warlords of Draenor with the goal of shrinking that gap as much as possible. To reduce dependence on Resilience, we needed to increase player survivability against other players, and we chose to do this by essentially doubling (post-squish) player health.

On its own, that increase in health would make players more survivable in the world at large, so we're also increasing creature damage and the effectiveness of healing spells to balance things out. The net result of these changes is that individual attacks will knock a smaller chunk off of a player's health pool in PvP, but your survivability in PvE won't be affected.

Doubling player health gave us room to reduce Resilience and Battle Fatigue, but our goal was to be able to remove them entirely. In order to achieve that, we're also reducing PvP spike damage across the board by lowering Critical Damage and Critical Heals against players in PvP to 150% of their normal effect (down from 200%).

Our hope is that these changes allow us to reduce Base Resilience and Battle Fatigue to 0%. It's possible that we'll still find a need for some minor amount of Base Resilience and/or Battle Fatigue, and we'll be testing these changes extensively and adjusting as needed.
Retuning Healing Spells
One of our goals for healing in Warlords of Draenor is to tone down the raw throughput of healers relative to the size of player health pools. Currently, as healers and their allies acquire better and better gear, the percentage of a player's health that any given heal restores increases significantly. As a result, healers are able to refill health bars so fast that we have to make damage more and more "bursty" in order to challenge them. Ideally, we want players to spend some time below full health without having healers feel like the players they're responsible for are in danger of dying at any moment. We also think that healer gameplay would be more varied, interesting, and skillful if your allies spent more time between 0% and 100%, rather than just getting damaged quickly to low health, forcing the healer to then scramble to get them back to 100% as quickly as possible.

To that end, we're buffing heals less than we're increasing creature damage. Heals will be deliberately less potent compared to health pools than before the item squish. Additionally, as gear improves, the scaling rates of health and healing will now be very similar, so the relative power of any given healing spell shouldn't climb so much over the course of this expansion. For those concerned about what this means for raiding, don't worry-we're taking all of these changes into account when designing Raid content for Warlords of Draenor.

It's also important to note that spells that heal based on a percentage of maximum health are being effectively buffed by the massive increase to player health pools, so we're lowering those percentages to offset the effect. That may make them appear to have been nerfed-however, the net result is that those percentage-based heals stay about the same as before relative to other heals.

All of these changes apply to damage-absorption shields as well. Additionally, we're toning down the power of absorbs in general. When they get too strong, absorption effects are often used in place of direct healing instead of as a way to supplement it. We will, of course, take these changes into account when tuning specializations that rely heavily on absorbs, such as Discipline Priests.

We also took a look at healing spells that were passive or auto-targeted (so-called "smart" heals).
"We want healers to care about who they're targeting and which heals they're using..."
We want healers to care about who they're targeting and which heals they're using, because that makes healer gameplay more interactive and fun. To that end, we're reducing the healing of many passive and auto-targeted heals, and making smart heals a little less smart. Smart heals will now randomly pick any injured target within range instead of always picking the most injured target. Priority will still be given to players over pets, of course.
Another of our goals for healing in this expansion is to strike a better balance between single-target and multi-target healing spells. We've taken a close look at the mana efficiency of our multi-target heals, and in many cases, we're reducing their efficiency, usually by reducing the amount they heal. Sometimes, but more rarely, raising their mana cost was a better decision. We want players to use multi-target heals, but they should only be better than their single-target equivalents when they heal more than two players without any overhealing. This way, players will face an interesting choice between whether to use a single-target heal or a multi-target heal based on the situation.

Finally, we're removing the low-throughput, low-mana-cost heals like Nourish, Holy Light, Heal, and Healing Wave, because we think that while they do add complexity, they don't truly add depth to healing gameplay. (We're also renaming some spells to re-use those names. For example, Greater Healing Wave is being redubbed Healing Wave.) However, we still want healers to think about their mana when deciding which heal to cast, and so the mana costs and throughputs of many spells are being altered to give players a choice between spells with lower throughput and lower cost versus spells with higher throughput and higher costs. Here are some examples from each healer class:

Druid Higher Efficiency: Healing Touch, Rejuvenation, Efflorescence
Druid Higher Throughput: Regrowth, Wild Growth

Monk Higher Efficiency: Soothing Mist, Renewing Mist
Monk Higher Throughput: Surging Mist, Spinning Crane Kick

Paladin Higher Efficiency: Holy Light, Holy Shock, Word of Glory, Light of Dawn
Paladin Higher Throughput: Flash of Light, Holy Radiance

Priest Higher Efficiency: Greater Heal, Circle of Healing, Prayer of Mending, Holy Nova (new Discipline-only version), Penance
Priest Higher Throughput: Flash Heal, Prayer of Healing

Shaman Higher Efficiency: Healing Wave, Riptide, Healing Rain
Shaman Higher Throughput: Healing Surge, Chain Heal
All of this discussion of efficiency may cause most healers to start worrying about mana regeneration and their mana pool. To allay those concerns, we've increased base mana regen a great deal at early gear levels, while having it scale up less at later gear levels. This will make all of these changes play well even in early content such as Heroic Dungeons and the first tier of Raid content, and also play well in the final Raid tier without mana and efficiency becoming irrelevant due to extremely high regeneration values.

That's a lot of big changes for healers: reduced throughput, more triage, less powerful "smart" heals, weaker absorbs, fewer spells, and a new focus on efficiency decisions. We're confident that we can apply lessons learned from previous expansions to make this the best healer experience yet: more dynamic, engaging, non-punishing, and frankly a lot more fun.
Instant-Cast Heals

Over time, healers have gained a bigger and bigger arsenal of heals that they can cast while on the move, which removes the inherent cost that movement is intended to have for them, while also limiting players' ability to counter healing in PvP. This left silences and crowd control (which we're trying to curb-see "Pruning the Garden of War") as the only ways to actually limit an enemy player's healing output. We're still preserving the option to instantly heal, but are reducing the number of instant-cast healing abilities overall. Here are some examples:
Druid
Wild Growth (Restoration) now has a 1.5-second cast time.
Monk
Uplift (Mistweaver) now has a 1.5-second cast time.
Paladin
Eternal Flame and Word of Glory now each have a 1.5-second cast time when specced Holy.
Light of Dawn now has a 1.5-second cast time.
Priest
Cascade, Divine Star, and Halo now each have a 1.5-second cast time.
Prayer of Mending now has a 1.5-second cast time.

All of these changes taken together are intended to make gameplay more consistent between PvE and PvP, and invigorate healers with more dynamic gameplay.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Fucking up PVE for PVP, what else is new. That entire article can be summed up as "we're doing the same thing we did in Cata again"

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
Wow, They're going the wrong direction with healing. Fistweaving/Disc Nuke-Heals should be becoming more viable, not less.

elvis_sl

shitlord
cool. less instant cast spells. just what you wanted as a healer. because why should dps just get all the goodies.

rest of the spells should all be channeled and have a cooldown. because who doesn't like having your penance interrupted after the first tick.

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Sorry for the derpy question, but when is the new expansion coming?

I logged into a demo account last night and made a Cowadin and started sniffling about being back home in Mulgore after over a year. It was quite pathetic. Evil, evil game.

kudos

<Banned>
Leveled my paladin as healer since the beginning. He is now on track to become a tank. Thanks Blizzard you stupid fucks.

Pioneer89_sl

shitlord
Fucking up PVE for PVP, what else is new. That entire article can be summed up as "we're doing the same thing we did in Cata again"
Except in Cata, they said "Just wait, things will get better when you get gear" For WoD it's: "Things will get slightly less bad with gear".

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Sorry for the derpy question, but when is the new expansion coming?
Somewhen this year. Probably september, at the rate they're preparing for beta.

I logged into a demo account last night and made a Cowadin and started sniffling about being back home in Mulgore after over a year. It was quite pathetic. Evil, evil game.
Veteran of much MMOs war, heh? You can never go home afterward.

krismunich

<Silver Donator>
Just how large is the percentage of *non casual* PvP players in WOW to justify streamlining PvE for the sake of PvP more and more? This did not go well in Cata and what has been said for WOD does not really sound too promising on paper.

ubiquitrips

Golden Knight of the Realm
Do not like. I really enjoy healing on my resto druid right now. It could be more engaging, but how interesting do they think they can make it? You are playing a mini game where you keep 10 - 25 boxes as full as possible. I would prefer for healing not to be tedious, that will make things worse, not better. Hell, having smart heals target anyone injured vs lowest is going to be obnoxious. Maybe this is what it feels like to be OP and then nerfed, not sure I have had this pleasure before.

On the bright side, I was able to get my guardian spec up to ilvl500 so at least I will have a backup plan.