World of Warcraft: Season of Discovery

Your faction and server type?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't think that's a problem. This server seems like something built from the ground up to encourage intermittent play over a year, rather than something that dedicated players stick with until they move on semi-permanently.

Basically what gaming has become, at least for me, for at least the last decade or so. No permanent home, just hop from game to game. Once you get bored in one, move to another. Enough options out there these days for it

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Excidium

Trakanon Raider
I just don’t have much time to game anymore with the new baby. SoD has been a great experience. I’m almost done my runes on my Druid and I have done DM and stocks so finish the quest lines. About to do SFK and WC and maybe a BFD to say I have done it. I hated the first classic launch because people just blew to 60 and I just didn’t have it in me. Forcing to do all the low stuff really changed the game for me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I enjoy mindlessly killing murlocs and horde with my new abilities and absolutely god-tier gear for a level 25 rogue lol

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I just don’t have much time to game anymore with the new baby. SoD has been a great experience. I’m almost done my runes on my Druid and I have done DM and stocks so finish the quest lines. About to do SFK and WC and maybe a BFD to say I have done it. I hated the first classic launch because people just blew to 60 and I just didn’t have it in me. Forcing to do all the low stuff really changed the game for me.
Makes me wonder if new MMO releases shouldn't consider having "slow roll" server options at release.

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Makes me wonder if new MMO releases shouldn't consider having "slow roll" server options at release.
I certainly think there is some demand for something like this. With the way the gamer has been programmed now, its about the destination, not the journey. It was the same when I started vanilla wow a month or so after release when I couldnt handle EQ2 anymore.

Mad blast to 60, nothing else mattered to many of the playerbase. Now its my own fault, but in order to be in a top end raiding guild, almost my entire playtime had to be dedicated to race to 60 as fast as possible. Now I know we have all aged since then and priorities most likely have shifted, but I like being able to log on and not be in a dead rush to blast past content as fast and efficiently as possible.

I certainly dont advocate this type of server for everyone, but it works outstanding for someone like me. I would like to see other games maybe offer a server or two of delayed rollouts, versus the entire game at once.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
That was one of the reasons I think EQ hit right for me, I was never in a rush, took my time and smelled all the roses along the way. When I finally did reach various leveling plateaus they always felt like a meaningful accomplishment. Every other game since has felt like one mad dash to the end to then sit around and be bored waiting for the next major content drop.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Love having the new abilities, but I'm just pretty meh on it. Having some of that stuff is great, love seeing it on other classes, but at least for the 3 i pushed to 25. It just doesn't feel great. Pally healing is just rough beyond just spamming flash of light and standing still and they didn't do anything to address itemization, 50+ items in BFD and no caster mail. (And I guess tried to keep the theme of original and drown everything in spirit) A shame because I loved the hell out of mine way back in karazan and that era.
Feral druid, effective, but boring since your spamming like 1 key plus a finisher mostly.
Warrior, none of your kinda clutch main abilities, I'm sure for dps the quick strike and some of those helps a lot, I just foolishly was leveling/gearing as prot. Probably the best of the 3, but it's just painful in the world solo always got to be very careful with the no real healing/escapes/etc, having devastate basically is great though they make sure you have to have a shield and can't solo around spamming it with a 2h questing.

Then I look at grinding money, and doing a couple zones of quests 3 times with all the chars and it's just soul sucking. I hate feeling like that puts me in the give it to me now generation, but I think it's more a factor of I'm getting maybe 2 hours weeknights, and maybe a day of my 2 off. And in the meantime I'm getting nothing else done if I'm just engrossed in this.

That and I kinda wish BFD hadn't been such a faceroll, like blew the gold and time trying to get pre bis'ed up to just find out it's just a snooze as long as you can move and do your job. (back to not finding any other happy holy pal's when everyone else can spam a lot of instants/1sec cast)

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Pally healing is just rough beyond just spamming flash of light and standing still and they didn't do anything to address itemization, 50+ items in BFD and no caster mail. (And I guess tried to keep the theme of original and drown everything in spirit) A shame because I loved the hell out of mine way back in karazan and that era.
I don't know how resto druid or shaman is but Priest's penance and prayer of mending is OP compared to the original spells in terms of healing / mana. On my fresh level 25 with whatever gear, Heal rk 2 is 2.23heal/mana, flash heal is 1.8 heal/mana, renew rk 3 is 1.7, penance is 6.5 and prayer of mending is 12.2. Hearing that the paladins don't get a couple uber runes for healing is a bit of a surprise.

Meanwhile, the priest's void plague has a permanent spot on my chest, it's an instant cast DoT that does 2.6x the damage of Shadow Word: Pain while taking only 67% or something the mana.

I'm two boxing a priest and a hunter, and using the carrion bird with screech I can take out quite a bit of mobs. I'm wondering what instances I can two box. Against groups I can keep Void Plague up, throw out penance on cooldown and stay comfy mana-wise. If we get swarmed and I have to start dropping renews, shields, flash heals my mana drops like it did back in 2004.

Last edited:

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
as a Hunter you can solo Wailing Caverns pretty easily, I honestly haven't tried anything else but with the priest I imagine a lot

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
as a Hunter you can solo Wailing Caverns pretty easily, I honestly haven't tried anything else but with the priest I imagine a lot
I just ran to Thousand Needles to get a wind serpent pet with rank 3 lightning. Might hop over to WC to knock it out.

• 1Solidarity

Sludig

I don't know how resto druid or shaman is but Priest's penance and prayer of mending is OP compared to the original spells in terms of healing / mana. On my fresh level 25 with whatever gear, Heal rk 2 is 2.23heal/mana, flash heal is 1.8 heal/mana, renew rk 3 is 1.7, penance is 6.5 and prayer of mending is 12.2. Hearing that the paladins don't get a couple uber runes for healing is a bit of a surprise.

Meanwhile, the priest's void plague has a permanent spot on my chest, it's an instant cast DoT that does 2.6x the damage of Shadow Word: Pain while taking only 67% or something the mana.

I'm two boxing a priest and a hunter, and using the carrion bird with screech I can take out quite a bit of mobs. I'm wondering what instances I can two box. Against groups I can keep Void Plague up, throw out penance on cooldown and stay comfy mana-wise. If we get swarmed and I have to start dropping renews, shields, flash heals my mana drops like it did back in 2004.
I was excited by them getting beacon, but it's nerfed in that it only lasts a minute and takes a not completely trivial amount of mana, so your adding a global cooldown of time to cast it in what's probably an emergency or just right as the pull happens and trying to watch it's timer on top of everything else.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Holy pal was going to be awful no matter what really. Without illumination(and the crit for it), they just cant do much. I leveled a pal to 25 just to have for future phases as holy, but just went ret/prot for this phase.

It should be a lot more viable next phase. In the end though, they are always going to be kind of boring at least when it comes to healing(why they were always tank healers iirc). Unless some rune adds a lot more ae healing or instant healing, its always going to be 90% flash of light spamming, with some holy light and rarely a shock.

Though I do agree about beacon(duration) and no caster mail. At least there was plenty of caster leather, so not stuck completely in cloth.

I think holy pally and resto shm should see a bit more action this next phase. Shm finally get chain heal and combine that with overload, should be fun for ae healing.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Holy pal was going to be awful no matter what really. Without illumination(and the crit for it), they just cant do much. I leveled a pal to 25 just to have for future phases as holy, but just went ret/prot for this phase.

It should be a lot more viable next phase. In the end though, they are always going to be kind of boring at least when it comes to healing(why they were always tank healers iirc). Unless some rune adds a lot more ae healing or instant healing, its always going to be 90% flash of light spamming, with some holy light and rarely a shock.

Though I do agree about beacon(duration) and no caster mail. At least there was plenty of caster leather, so not stuck completely in cloth.

I think holy pally and resto shm should see a bit more action this next phase. Shm finally get chain heal and combine that with overload, should be fun for ae healing.
With how impactful some runes are, who knows what will happen in the next phase. Rogue healers who proc heals from fan of knives could be the best healers.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I'm really hoping we get Fan of Knives that can compete with Mages for AoE, and also Cloak of Shadows.

Masakari

<Gold Donor>
I enjoy mindlessly killing murlocs and horde with my new abilities and absolutely god-tier gear for a level 25 rogue lol

What spec are you running? I'm doing a backstab build focused around agi and crit talents. Not good for PVE but it works.

It's pretty good PVP burst because the crit rate is really high. Throw in a Thistle Tea and it's straight murder. Would definitely like the Bowser dagger for more BS damage though, currently running Meteor Shard and WSG dagger.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What spec are you running? I'm doing a backstab build focused around agi and crit talents. Not good for PVE but it works.

It's pretty good PVP burst because the crit rate is really high. Throw in a Thistle Tea and it's straight murder. Would definitely like the Bowser dagger for more BS damage though, currently running Meteor Shard and WSG dagger.
Swording things like god intended. Shadowstrike makes Sword PvP fun again.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Damn I forgot how big Wailing Caverns was. Had to stop using bullets in the last 10% of the zone to avoid running out, lol.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Damn I forgot how big Wailing Caverns was. Had to stop using bullets in the last 10% of the zone to avoid running out, lol.
It is huge and that was part of its charm back in the day, to me. You could take the long route, killing everything, if you were trying to grind out exp. I cant imagine doing that now, though. Hell, the short path in the dungeon is already long af.