World of Warcraft: Current Year

Narac01

Trakanon Raider
People are thinking they somehow used character backups from MOP, based on character level, old deleted characters existing and new ones not.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
People are thinking they somehow used character backups from MOP
Most databases have built-in snapshots and can rollback to a previous point in time. Most likely someone thought they'd be an SQL hero and fix something real quick.

If you want to know more, here are some examples about snapshots and transaction isolation, and why that shit is hard when you have things running at the same time:

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
Do the intro quest chain on the isle that takes you up the hill to the junk yard area and complete it. It will unlock the world quest dailies on the island and the daily overall "kill x rare/loot x chests/do x activities" bigger bonus rep thing.

Both of those rep grinds took a little over a week when the bonus rep thing was up. Not sure if that was still active after they turned it back on recently or not. Unshackled got rep from killing rares too if I believe.
The double rep bonus is back up. Also, do each named pet battle once for a small rep gain.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Edit: Looked up what is changing for the new leveling experience, and it seems silly that they are keeping BFA pathfinder requirement for flying, but Legion and WoD will be included in level 30 flying from the vendor.

I remember reading that they will force new players to go to BFA, after the new Exiles Reach area, but if you already have a level 50 (120) toon, I think you can choose any xpac? This means BFA flying isn't all that important, so you can casually grind it, I guess, or just wait until the next xpac, when it will probably be rolled into the level 30 skill.

Last edited:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
BFA flying isn't all that important
lol flying was only relevant for 8.2. Didnt exist prior and 8.2 and 8.3 was all old world so was useless there. Another shitty design decision.

I never bothered to get it even though the only things I need to do was finish questing in Stormsong and Tiragarde. Had all the rep then 8.3 hit and it made it pointless.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
lol flying was only relevant for 8.2. Didnt exist prior and 8.2 and 8.3 was all old world so was useless there. Another shitty design decision.

I never bothered to get it even though the only things I need to do was finish questing in Stormsong and Tiragarde. Had all the rep then 8.3 hit and it made it pointless.

A lot of things in WoW are pointless by the time you get them. Rep rewards? Outdated by the time you get them. Flying? Pointless unless you like wizard chores. Entire zones and raids made completely pointless with ilvl boosting patches.

Really, the only time to play WoW is the last month of every expac.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I def understand Boozecube asking, because not everyone wants to play Final Fantasy.

BFA was good for a 40-50 day lick. IDK if that's worth 40 bucks though. SL isn't on par with BFA launch from what I'm hearing.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Really, the only time to play WoW is the last month of every expac.

Well in BFA you could quit before first patch and have a decent experience. IDK if I buy the "expac is playable the final month" thing.

We hit tier 2 raids in BFA and called it. Experience was over.

We had fun, we got the raids, we pulled out. No complaining about what's broken or what scaling there is or what problems BFA had.

Boozecube is asking can a similar thing be repeated for SL, or is it below BFA par?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
I played BfA through the first raid tier and had a good time. Hoping back in later on it felt pretty shitty.

I still like double jumping and air dashing and all that so I'll probably play at least at the start but I wish they would do something about how fucking complicated everything gets late in to an expansion.

WorryPlaysGames

Blackwing Lair Raider
So prepatch probably won't be this week - so Oct 6, leaving 3 weeks worth? That seems short.

I really want to play, but this whole expansion seems like a dumpster fire just by watching streams and seeing so many bugs (and big bugs) still there.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This could be a skip.

Lacks the BFA polish. If the first 2 months of expansion aren't fun then its not worth the buy

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The BfA polish?
giphy.gif

• 7Worf
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 10 users

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
BfA was a launch disaster. The main system, Azerite, wasn’t even implemented, and required an entire additional system to be implemented mid-expansion to save that dumpster fire. SL is way ahead of BfA’s launch.

velk

Trakanon Raider
BfA was a launch disaster. The main system, Azerite, wasn’t even implemented, and required an entire additional system to be implemented mid-expansion to save that dumpster fire. SL is way ahead of BfA’s launch.

No it isn't. Almost everything is unfinished in beta, let alone polished.

At BFA launch you could at least level up without getting trapped by broken quests on mandatory questlines, and once you got there islands and warfronts at least worked properly, even if they were dogshit.

Unless they pull off a miracle, the SL launch is going to be significantly worse than BFA from a basic QA perspective.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So covenants are balanced and fully implemented. Good to know.

Balancing is probably close to where it usually is, right before an xpac, which is to say, it's all over the fucking place. They usually get to the point of good enough (for them) right before the first week of the mythic raid, and 4+ specs just get left out in the cold. I suspect the same thing will happen with covenants; they will get 80% of them working, across the classes, and call it a day.

You can kind of see what works mechanically, and what doesn't; if it looks like a cluncky ability, it has a good chance of being left for dead, if it goes live next month. Obviously, don't pick those covenants.

For example, the rogue Kyrian ability (Echoing Reprimand):

It just sucks, mechanically. It picks a combo point between 2 and 4 to empower, but landing on 2, 3, or 4 combo points is heavily dependent on the RNG.​
Assassination, in particular, has its main builder (Mutilate) give 2 combo by default and the other two (Shiv & Garrote), 1 combo point abilities, in the rotation, have cooldowns. Otherwise, you have to use AoE, and hope you only hit one target. Not to mention, every crit gives double the combo because of Seal Fate.​
Outlaw almost always starts with 1 combo point due to Ruthlessness, and if they roll Broadside in Roll the Bones, they are close to fucked, if trying to land on the 2 or 4 empowered combo, for the duration.​
Subtlety has to contend with random combo points from Shadow Techniques and a 2 combo point builder during Shadowdance (Shadowstrike).​

Last edited:

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What percentage of Azerite would you say was finished compared to covenants?

What burns describes sounds like BFA launch azerite to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you don't make the wrong decision.

You had 1 or maybe 2 viable azerite effects per class. But often times just 1.