World War Z

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I read the book not long ago and found no problem separating them. This really comes down to your personality. Content aside, anyone who comers out "pissed" walked in pissed. People might light it or might not, but if you dont go in already ready to hate it, nothing happens that should drive you over the edge.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I enjoyed this movie more than the "Man of Steel". There were some areas that were kind of odd but there were some ideas I really liked. The 3d was not overdone and looked pretty good. The idea behind the solution was one thing I liked. It does make me wonder what the other ending was.

If you like blood and guts then this movie is not for you. You might enjoy the story but you will not get any satisfaction watching the Undead eat other people's guts and eyeballs. If you enjoyed "I am Legend", this movie's handiling of gore and such resembled that.

I think I would enjoy a sequel. The sequel could even be rated R at this point.

Juvarisx

Florida
PG-13 Zombie disaster movie with Brad Pitt and a 200 million budget. That will either sound appealing or not, its not really all that complicated.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Also a book reader who found the movie to be a fun ride. Would love to one day see them do a HBO series faithful to the book but the movie was still entertaining. I took 3 of my kids to go watch it ages ranging from 8-14 and 2 of them preferred WWZ over MoS. On a side note my kids like zombie stuff like Walking Dead and tend to say things like ,"Not T-Dog!", so take it for what its worth.

earthfell

Golden Knight of the Realm
Bad movie. 28 Days Later was better in every way. The intro was just really dumb, like a montage video some kids made in college of ants eating some insect, dogs hunting, just images designed to be lightly morbid without any relation to the actual film.
Best part of the film was the last 5 minutes when you see *another* montage, but this one is good and actually related to the movie. The zombies were so poorly done, no one in the audience was creeped out, all you could hear was mass laughter every time one of the actor-zombies clacked their teeth together and made dumb clicking sounds, which was essentially every scene with a zombie. The best scenes in the film are when you see tidal waves of people and get a better idea of just the massive scope of the infection--- but most of those scenes were already in the trailer. Lastly, the scriptwriters are typical hollywood trash, using the tactic of "hey let's have the characters do really stupid, clumsy, and nonsensical things in order to get the plot moving."

I wish I had seen the Bling Ring instead of this.

I also don't think this movie being lame has anything to do with whether or not you are a fan of the book. It's just not a very exciting or well-done zombie flick.

Syddin

Trakanon Raider
I think this is exactly the summer popcorn zombie flick that they wanted to make. I think the Book Movie "World War Z" would have been A+ zombie Oscar bait. This was ok for what it was, but I kind of still miss that chance.

Bizazedo

Lord Nagafen Raider
Anyone else upset he didn't bitch at his wife when...

She called him while they were trying to sneak to the plane and inadvertendly got the attention of zombies, killing brave US servicemen?
smile.png

I just saw this today.

I like when they showed Newark, NJ with mass rioting and smoke coming out of the buildings. "Great, Philadelphia is overrun by zombies and it's just another normal day in Newark??"

I also wanted Brad Pitt to smack his lips and comment how refreshing the Pepsi he was drinking. C'mon man, get more ad money.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
The Pepsi scene was weird because the machine clearly showed Pepsi cans, but the can he was drinking didn't show Pepsi on the label at all, it was just some weird blue can. I wonder if the machine was a re-shoot for advertising.

I'm curious what parts of this movie you found so awesome? I went into this really expecting just a normal zombie movie but I fell like it was way below par. I am a staunch hater of The Walking Dead but I would gladly watch Season 2 in one sitting again before seeing this movie.

Usually I agree with with the masses on movie reviews, but I just couldn't get into this. For what it's worth, everyone I went with enjoyed it.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just saw this today.

I like when they showed Newark, NJ with mass rioting and smoke coming out of the buildings. "Great, Philadelphia is overrun by zombies and it's just another normal day in Newark??"

I also wanted Brad Pitt to smack his lips and comment how refreshing the Pepsi he was drinking. C'mon man, get more ad money.
That scene with the Pepsi machine was funny as hell. I really wanted Brad to just take a drink and then with a satisfying ahhhh look at the camera and say "When I am being chased by rabid human beings, nothing satisifies my thirst like a cold can of pepsi".

Concerning the phone call, I would have politely asked that she not call me again.....politely....

One thing that I laughed about as well was the whole laboratory sneaking scene. If you are too loud, you will get thier attention. Ummm setup something outside that is very loud that draws them completly out of the building???Then you just walk on over and get what you need. I suppose that perhaps they were just trying to keep them contained. Better to know where they are.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I am a staunch hater of The Walking Dead but I would gladly watch Season 2 in one sitting again before seeing this movie.
Holy shit dude, you are masochist.

As for people saying this was a shitty zombie flick, what would you consider a good zombie flick? The only 2 that come to mind for me are the new dawn of the dead and 28 days later, so it's not like there was much competition to be had with other zombie movies. Unless you're the type that likes the older flicks for nostalgia sake, but those movies have really not aged well after all this time.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Yeah the Pepsi scene was funny to me, because after all that he went through, hes just enoying a nice soda and it shows that he just doesnt give a fuck anymore. Not a care in the world, he can just stroll through.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Holy shit dude, you are masochist.

As for people saying this was a shitty zombie flick, what would you consider a good zombie flick? The only 2 that come to mind for me are the new dawn of the dead and 28 days later, so it's not like there was much competition to be had with other zombie movies. Unless you're the type that likes the older flicks for nostalgia sake, but those movies have really not aged well after all this time.
I would say 28 Days Later is one of the best, but I didn't expect that. I mean I guess it's pretty shitty when we see:

I just flew all the way to Korea, spent 3 minutes talking to the army dudes, now I gotta go to Israel. HORSESHIT.

Then he's in Israel for about 3 minutes before the entire nation is destroyed in front of his eyes. No one saw the tower of undead forming? Come on.

The WHO. Are we to believe that after a 15 minute stare-down with Dr. Clacker, Pitt is now terminal from injecting some unknown death-virus?

Couple of other points. The PG-13 rating was dumb. If they did it correctly I wouldn't have minded it, but it felt forced. When he went to bash in a skull with a crowbar, they focused right on Pitt the whole time. That's some cheesy shit. On the plane he was hitting zombies with bags. FUCKING BAGS.

The airplane blow out was some serious 2012 shit. I half-expected to see John Cusack surviving the crash after he drove his limo into a gaping crater before boarding the plane.

Those satellite phones worked better than my cellphone, except that one time when the wife killed the entire armed forces in Korea.

I did LOL at the guy from harvard tripping and shooting himself in the head, although it would've made far more sense if he was alive.

The only thing that really intrigued me about this movie was the ending montage. That should've been what the movie was about, not some emo scarf-wearing dweeb globe-trotting to find whatever the hell he was looking for.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
damn. had one of my buddy commenting on this movie and compared it to 2012 after he saw the trailer...

i guess he wasn't wrong.

Volt

Molten Core Raider
I didn't read the book but the movie was enjoyable. Anyone know what the original ending was supposed to be?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
original ending:http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=82090

"The plane Gerry and Segen board is bound for Moscow. Upon safely landing, everyone on board is rounded up by the military. The elderly and the sick are executed and the healthy people, including a very shaken Gerry, are immediately drafted into armed service, though not before one particularly nasty Russian soldier takes Gerry's cell phone. The story then jumps forward an unknown amount of time and we catch up with Gerry, who now has a full beard and has been a part of Russia's zombie-clearing squad at least long enough for it to have changed to winter. He looks almost dead inside, but the reality is that over this time he's become an experienced and ruthless zombie killer, and he's the leader of his own equally capable unit.

Gerry's unit is tasked with clearing subway tunnels of zombie hordes. This is the first time we see the Lobo, a perfected zombie-killing tool that's sort of a shovel/battle axe that would have been one of the few things from the book to make it into the movie. Gerry and his team use them to slice their way through every poor zombie that tracks them through the tunnels by following their sounds. It's all routine work for them, and when they're not in the tunnels killing, they're basically just preparing to go back in. During this downtime we see a bit of bonding between Gerry and another English-speaking friend, Simon. The two play a guessing game of what celebrities would have survived the outbreak.

We get a couple intense scenes of tunnel combat (at one point Gerry has to kill one of his own after being bitten), and eventually they emerge above ground and are right in the middle of The Battle of Red Square (pictured in the banner above, though this is likely not from the movie and was created just for marketing purposes). This is a much, much larger set piece that involves several different front lines constantly fighting the hordes. There's a kind of weird plot point of Gerry's team now getting re-assigned to different front lines based on what their religion is (Gerry and Simon are atheists), the logic being that people would fight harder alongside people of the same faith. But they're segregated and Gerry tries to convince the General in charge that his elite, tunnel-sweeping crew should be allowed to teach those other people how to fight with Lobos and makeshift shields and what not.

There's arguing with this Russian General, but eventually Gerry convinces him to let him teach some of the other front lines how to fight, but this involves having to go back into the tunnels with Simon so they can sneak past the zombies on the other side. It's there that Gerry notices the zombies are having a hard time dealing with the severe Russian winter by remembering just how fast they were in Jerusalem, and so it occurs to him that the way to defeat the zombies is to let their bodies freeze.

Gerry and Simon are now on a mission to inform the Russian command to extinguish all fires and move their battle lines so as to keep as many of the zombies in the cold as possible, but then they run into a generator room where the nasty Russian soldier who took his phone upon arrival in the country is boozing it up with some very reluctant girls. One of those girls is Segen. Gerry grabs a belt of grenades and tosses one into the room. He, Segen and Simon duck behind a couch to survive the blast before making a break for it.

Once again Gerry meets up with the General and convinces him to use Russia's cold to their advantage, as they have done in past homeland wars. This works and he orders everyone to extinguish all of their fires. Eventually this gives them the upper hand in the battle. Gerry takes this turn toward the offensive to retreat. He takes a couple of shots of vodka, then picks up the phone he retrieved from the soldier and calls his wife, Karin.

Even beyond the entire Russian battle sequence, it's this call to his wife that's the real game changer for the (aborted) tone of World War Z.

Gerry reaches Karin. He explains to her that the cold is the way they'll win battles, which does her no good because it just so happens she and the kids are in a refugee camp in the sweltering heat of the Everglades. They're in the type of camp where you have to have something to trade to survive, and it just so happens the one thing Karin had to trade was herself. She doesn't explicitly tell Gerry this, but after she hastily hangs up the phone we see that she's in some kind of reluctantly consensual relationship with the soldier who rescued them from the rooftop at the beginning of the movie.

Did you happen to notice that soldier on the helicopter was played by Matthew Fox? Did you wonder why they bothered to cast someone as recognizable as him in a role that was pretty inconsequential and had almost no lines? That's because his real payoff wasn't until the end.

Fox' parajumper soldier then calls Gerry back and explains to him that he should just stay wherever he is and start a new life like he and Karin have. Gerry refuses to accept this, though, and he embarks on a rage mission to get back to his wife and daughters. Trouble is the nearest port that won't be frozen is thousands of miles away, so there's a montage of Gerry, Simon and Segen crossing various terrain until they ultimately end up on a boat. They're now off of the Oregon Coast and they attack the American shore like it's D-Day. And that's how the movie ends. Not with Gerry having discovered a cure, but with him storming across the United States of America to get Karin back."
Read more athttp://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit...gl7Wfh6w2rU.99