Worth going all Apple?

Cor_sl

shitlord
So, what are you doing with Thunderbolt?
At the moment, there aren't many uses for ThunderBolt/Light Peak. It's still a new tech and it's in the middle of being rolled out.

High res monitors and external hard drives seem to be the most commonly used pieces of hardware at the moment. I imagine 4k/"retina" monitors, which will be coming soon, will require a ThunderBolt connection.

ThunderBolt also has the potential to accommodate external GPUs. That's pretty huge, imo.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...bolt,3263.html

So yeah, at the moment, it's not a "must have" feature, but it's going to become increasingly more important over the next few years.

Silence_sl

shitlord
At the moment, there aren't many uses for ThunderBolt/Light Peak. It's still a new tech and it's in the middle of being rolled out.

High res monitors and external hard drives seem to be the most commonly used pieces of hardware at the moment. I imagine 4k/"retina" monitors, which will be coming soon, will require a ThunderBolt connection.

ThunderBolt also has the potential to accommodate external GPUs. That's pretty huge, imo.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...bolt,3263.html

So yeah, at the moment, it's not a "must have" feature, but it's going to become increasingly more important over the next few years.
It was a rhetorical question.

I have to laugh at Turtleneckers that trot out TB as being something marvelous when they are sputtering bits from one wheezy 5400 RPM drive to another 5400 RPM drive.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
haha external GPU, those will be great to power my little pony online adventure or whatever gay ass games can be played on a Mac.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Thunderbolt is the next firewire(actually, it'll be lucky if it's even that successful). Meaning, it'll be pretty much gone and useless within 5 years as a very small % of peripherals ever ship with support for it, as opposed to USB. The vast majority of consumers won't pay a premium for a hard drive or camera or whatever that supports Thunderbolt as opposed to just going USB. I'm not saying Thunderbolt isn't a nice technology, because it is, it just isn't going to be supported even a fraction as much as USB, and will shortly disappear completely once no one is making any money selling devices for it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Last night I had a dream I went to an apple store to purchase an iphone. Things were going great until I started typing on it. I don't think the typing part of my brain was awake, but the anger and frustrating part of my brain sure was. I threw the phone at the worker and just started breaking shit all around and attacking the other customers.

I'm also very much looking forward to hearing what Aychamo uses to max out his thunderbolt bandwidth.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
This.

It's currently about as laughable as when the USB 2 standard came out, and you suddenly started seeing printers at Best Buy stamped with "Faster with USB 2" as if printers ever managed a data throughput that saturated the USB 1 standard. Thunderbolt will go the way of the dodo bird the same reason firewire did. USB 3 will get the job done equally well as Thuderbolt, simply by virtue that your standard external hard disk won't be able to push bytes fast enough to actually saturate your USB interface, and it will do so without having to pay royalties to Apple.

For those of you who feel (like Aychamo) stuff like aluminum cases, retina like displays, thunderbolt, are worth the money but want to go PC, get yourself a Samsung Series 9. You'll get a Duralumin case (eat that Apple), HD+ Display, and Instant On! tech. I've used it side by side to a MacBook Air and it's even "prettier" if that's your thing.

It was a rhetorical question.

I have to laugh at Turtleneckers that trot out TB as being something marvelous when they are sputtering bits from one wheezy 5400 RPM drive to another 5400 RPM drive.

Silence_sl

shitlord
Last night I had a dream I went to an apple store to purchase an iphone. Things were going great until I started typing on it. I don't think the typing part of my brain was awake, but the anger and frustrating part of my brain sure was. I threw the phone at the worker and just started breaking shit all around and attacking the other customers.
That was no dream.

You were sleepwalking.

Cor_sl

shitlord
ThunderBolt isn't Apple tech -- it was designed by Intel. [Edit - Just checked; Intel designed it in collaboration with Apple. If I'm reading this right, Intel owns the spec. (]http://www.anandtech.com/show/5425/w...anytime-soon)]It used to be known as 'light peak' before it was rebranded to ThunderBolt. Why would Apple get royalties?

And I don't think ThunderBolt is going away any time soon, either. Intel isn't going to back down on this. They've spent a ton of cash developing the tech and they're in the position to force it onto the computer industry, especially if AMD continues on its path to irrelevance. I wouldn't be surprised if ThunderBolt is mandatory as part of the next revision of the Ultrabook spec.

And who cares about the random retards running 5,400 rpm drives? They're not the people ThunderBolt is aimed at. I personally don't have any use for it so I'll buy USB peripherals in the future. My brother will, though. He transfers hundreds of gigabytes worth of data each day at work and his ThunderBolt hard drive has made a difference for him.

ThunderBolt is going to be used to drive the next generation monitors, too. I have money set aside in my account ready to buy a retina class 5120 x 2880 monitor when they finally hit (Anand from Anandtech estimates sometime in the next 18 months) -- ThunderBolt is going to be needed to drive that thing.

ThunderBolt isn't useful very useful now but it will be in the future, especially if Intel decides to push it hard.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
lol this is getting hysterical.

dude pulled the "MY BROTHER SPENDS ALL DAY TRANSFERING 30 TB FILES" card, then he let us know he has already saved up for a 200000x120000 resolution monitor that he has received insider info that will be shelves next year.

I can't handle this shit.

fucking losers like this are the reason everyone laughs at iMacs.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
lol this is getting hysterical.
Really? I thought it was getting pretty fucking sad. I can't even agree with most of this anymore. Thunderbolt being useful? OP being a paid shill? Macs being unable to play games, even though it has been said over and over that they run Windows? What?

It's like this thread has a stupid absorber all over it.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I've always been a hardcore PC/Android guy, but Apple has worn on me over the past few months.
  • Will this be the incredible experience I'm expecting and hearing about?

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
I think the only thing stupid are people that shit over superior technology simply because their platform doesn't support it. LOL WHY U WANT MORE 512K RAM YO?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Going all Mac will give you access to some nuances and conveniences that you will enjoy but they are entirely possible with other Operating Systems and devices. Typically people prefer the Apple interface but it is all about what you like and get use to... I worked as an Apple System Admin for some time and still keep everything up to date for the sake of administrating a school district that is 50 is 50 Mac vs PC.

I have both in my home but I use iPhone, iPads, AppleTV's, Time Capsules, etc. and they are extremely nice and easy to use with one another... It was a bit expensive in comparison to other solutions but I like the look and feel of what I have...

I wouldn't go all in too quickly. I would really allow yourself to get into a bit at a time and see if you like the direction you're going. Good thing about Apple products they resale well. AppleTV's at the moment are going for twice retail jailbroken.

I can argue for or against it. My personal opinion is to go Apple for Home use and Home Entertainment. The only time I ever use a PC is for gaming but even now, I have been spec'ing out a new iMac with a Windows VM for future gaming and i'm still undecided. Bottom line, use what fits your fancy. You'll find you can achieve what you want in either or even a mixed solution. Though, I find that most people once they get through the learning curve go Apple and never turn back.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Only thing about Apple I actually like is the trackpads on the laptops. Shit is badass. Other than that, it is overpriced crap. My work gives me the laptop but the cost of one? I would never buy one for personal use.