Worth going all Apple?

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
Better than what? By what standard? How do you get full control over your hardware choices and still have driver support? Just curious.
I would say OSX is more user friendly and less idiosyncratic than Windows 7. But that is trumped by the freedom of hardware in my opinion.

As for the hardware, I'm not sure what you mean. I can buy any combination of motherboard, memory, video card, sound card, hard drive, etc. and install Windows 7 on it with little difficulty. You cannot do that with OSX, you have to buy an Apple computer. This is why Microsoft still has almost 90% market share.

I purchased a Mac and quickly regretted it. It took me a little bit to realize the mass appeal was because of how dumbed down they are. Macs are the World of Warcraft of the computer world.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
I purchased a Mac and quickly regretted it. It took me a little bit to realize the mass appeal was because of how dumbed down they are. Macs are the World of Warcraft of the computer world.
As has been made quite clear in this thread, you can do whatever you want with OS X, provided you know how. If you're too slow to open Terminal, the fault doesn't lie with the OS.

I mean, I don't even really see how you can say that they're dumbed down. How is Windows not equally "dumb" unless you want to screw with it?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
AAPL down 10% today as consumers are waking up to the realization Apple products are shit.

Posted from my iPhone

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I can't wait to see what Apple does in response to their stock tanking this winter. I get the feeling that they are terrified to do anything big without Steve Jobs to sign off on it, but they have reached the point where their IOS software is starting to look horribly dated and hasn't changed significantly in going on 6 years. They are starting to get outsold not just by all the Android OEMs put together, but by Samsung alone. I think that they have to do something big this year and that doesn't mean changing the size of something or increasing the resolution of something. They have to do a big revamp to IOS and I can't wait to see if they can pull it off.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
they can't, they're all out of ideas. they haven't made any significant improvements in the iPhone since they released the 4. Apple was shit when they fired Jobs, now he's dead and they're shit again.

the next step forward in smart phones is having them dock and be used as a PC. Android/Ubuntu is already well on their way with this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I would love to know where this "twice as much" thing comes from. So, you'd go spec out a Macbook and tell me that that Macbook should be literally half the price you specced it at? What are you using as a comparison?
When my wife (graphic designer, predisposed to liking apple products) wanted a new laptop I talked about budget with her (Agreed to around $1300) and then showed her what she could get if we bought something from Apple and then what we could get if we bought something not from Apple (Sager).

We didn't go with an apple.

Dis

Confirmed Male
OP is trolling. Has anyone called him on his shit yet? Should have been obvious when he said he is tired of Windows. The fuck?

My opinion is Apple products are trendy, and mainly for novice users of PCs in general. I have an iPad 2 at home, had it for awhile, my wife has an iPhone 4 because she had to have one.

My iPad is nothing special. It works well to browse the web, dont use it for much else. I dont take it out of the house, mainly use it while I watching TV during commercial breaks. I could have just as easily bought a Droid tablet and gotten the same use out of it.

I prefer my Droid over her iPhone, mainly because of "at the time" the maps app, and "at the time" how expensive her phone was compared to mine when it did the same things. Now iPhone upgrades are relatively cheap when compared to the Droids, but if I had my choice of phones, I would want a Samsung Note 2 or Galaxy 3s over the iPhone5.

I will never by a Apple Mac laptop or desktop due to price and also some compatibility issues with business apps I use at home and games I play. I build my own PCs, recently upgraded to the 3rd gen i5, new mobo, RAM, Samsung SSD 240GB, and a 660GTX for $800. So yea, a lot cheaper. Just from a business price perspective, we buy HP USDT Core i5 2nd gen, 16GB, 64bit Win 7, 120 SSD for 745 a pop. That is the main reason why you will never see Apple penetrate the business environment. Anywho, I have apple products in my house, not really that impressed.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
To the people that say that they build their own PC's so will never buy a Mac. Well, DUH! Apple has no interest in you.

I think one of Apple's biggest mistake is not giving a fuck for larger phone screen sizes.

As for my iMac, it's been 53 days, 14 hours since I last had to reboot it. Rock solid.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
To the people that say that they build their own PC's so will never buy a Mac. Well, DUH! Apple has no interest in you.

I think one of Apple's biggest mistake is not giving a fuck for larger phone screen sizes.

As for my iMac, it's been 53 days, 14 hours since I last had to reboot it. Rock solid.
And my Win7 work computer has gone over 3 months without restarting. What exactly does that prove?

Dis

Confirmed Male

That does not prove much bro. I have a 2k PC environment I manage. Nothing pisses me off more than users not rebooting in over 60 days and all of a sudden Outlook is prompting for a password because their credentials expired. How about you shut down your fucking machine and stop running up our electricity bill, and you may get the prompt that your password is about to expire.

That goes for both Windows XP and 7. FYI I hate Windows 8.

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
That does not prove much bro. I have a 2k PC environment I manage. Nothing pisses me off more than users not rebooting in over 60 days and all of a sudden Outlook is prompting for a password because their credentials expired. How about you shut down your fucking machine and stop running up our electricity bill, and you may get the prompt that your password is about to expire.

That goes for both Windows XP and 7. FYI I hate Windows 8.
That means the IT department isn't doing their job by not educating the users about that. As for shutting PC's down every night at work, every company I've worked for had a policy to not do that, as updates and other things are done overnight that requires them to be on.

Dis

Confirmed Male
That means the IT department isn't doing their job by not educating the users about that. As for shutting PC's down every night at work, every company I've worked for had a policy to not do that, as updates and other things are done overnight that requires them to be on.
lol ok /derail first off, if you have ever worked in an IT dept you would know, educating, and users never work in the same sentence. Second reason I know you have never worked in an IT department, you would know that IT and training are two separate jobs. I am not here to learn people how to use PCs, I am here to make sure they are up and running to make money for the company.

Wake on LAN bro, and honestly with the speed of our networks and PCs nowadays we sometimes do pushes discreetly during the day.

/derail off, that was not the point of my post, but thanks for saying "Hey look, ELVIS!". The point still stands, OS stability is not an issue with Windows since XP SP2 (IE not needing to reboot).

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
That means the IT department isn't doing their job by not educating the users about that.
hahahaha you're out of your element wolfie!
rrr_img_10526.jpg

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Why don't they want more of their OS out there for both sales figures and market penetration?
Because they're more concerned with user experience, and a larger market share with more hardware support would make that a nightmare. I've had a ton of driver conflicts in Windows, have yet to see anything similar in OS X over two years using it as my main.

Dis

Confirmed Male
Because they're more concerned with user experience, and a larger market share with more hardware support would make that a nightmare. I've had a ton of driver conflicts in Windows, have yet to see anything similar in OS X over two years using it as my main.
Two questions: What is a ton? And with what OS have you had driver conflicts with? I must say in my going on 6 years of managing a growing PC environment, driver conflicts are EXTREMELY rare (to almost non existent). Just curious.

I think the more prevalent issue we have had concerning conflicts is JAVA versions for various manufacturer DCS. IE this site will only work with this version, and this site works with a different version, and in order to get both sites to work you have to install it in this order. Fuck JAVA.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Driver & update problems are so windows xp. That shit isn't a problem anymore if you use devices made in the last decade.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Driver & update problems are so windows xp. That shit isn't a problem anymore if you use devices made in the last decade.
Bro I bought my last printer and scanner from the thrift store. I had to clean the printer head by soaking it in water and had to buy an adjustable power supply for the scanner (as well as solder wiring to the scanner's pcb because the power input port is proprietary). Luckily they both worked with 7!