WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
The bottom line is really that they don't need/want to do it; it's not cost effective and would be a fairly large undertaking for little to no gain. Even the EQ progression servers were newer code that added in the old features, not just a rollback to old servers. (And project 1999 states they've modified certain things.)

Yea, guarantee Blizz has all the source code, but there's so much shit to do for a vanilla server. Getting it up and running would be the easiest part - there's still shit to consider like customer service, and all the checks that they'd have to go through to push it out.

Fan run things are very easy to do, not so easy for devs. There's no red tape to get through, no standards to uphold, etc.

To make an original WoW from the devs would end up with them probably rebuilding some stuff to keep the necessary fixes in while still keeping the classic feeling.

It's far from easy. It's doable, certainly, but not easy and not worth it for them.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
It's just weird when they say sifting the code is unpossible/a sisyphean undertaking... when it very clearly is possible, since 3-5 dudes working in their spare time were able to do the bulk of it. And plenty of other groups were also able to mostly do, albeit more shittily, with similarly sized teams.
What do you think would happen if Blizzard said "We have a small dev team working on a progression server"? Hint: Everyone would go batshit and start screaming about how Blizz was "wasting resources" instead of working on the live game.

Since they took the time to issue legal threats/mandates, I think it's fair to say that blizzards gives some degree of shit. If you are going to troll/shitpost, please do a more entertaining job.
Yes, because Blizzard's lawyers would otherwise be coding content.Think, McFly, think.

I can't speak on the legality part, although it does sound like bullshit. The latter parts just made me laugh. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit excuses from lazy ass corporate fucks.
"I have no idea what I'm talking about, so let me bullshit for a couple of sentences". Thanks!

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
What do you think would happen if Blizzard said "We have a small dev team working on a progression server"? Hint: Everyone would go batshit and start screaming about how Blizz was "wasting resources" instead of working on the live game.
Especially after releasing steaming piles of shit for the past 5 years.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Fan run things are very easy to do
Yeah, they're a breeze. What's years of research, reverse-engineering, and content implementation (if not development from scratch)?

The time and effort invested into a successful, quality player-run legacy server still dwarfs what the rights-holding company would expend to achieve the same thing.

xzi

Mouthbreather
I can't speak on the legality part, although it does sound like bullshit. The latter parts just made me laugh. Sounds like a bunch of bullshit excuses from lazy ass corporate fucks.
I liked their response to "Blizzard used to care about gamers and listen to them, but now they don't!" and they don't offer an argument other than calling people self-entitled liars.

Because I'm pretty sure 100% of people disliked garrison missions, a lot of them hated garrisons from like the 2nd month on - and then in response to nobody liking that at all, they gave us shipyards which were exactly the same. All the outrage against shipyards ensued and now they're giving us follower missions in Legion lmao. If that isn't them not listening then I don't know what is. Everyone loved min/maxxing with reforging shit, and so they take it out to introduce a 100% RNG system where you could MAYBE get the stats on your item, or you can run HFC for months and not get shit because fuck you. They even put 100% RNG into the PVP gear that drops from Ashran and they've gone ahead and announced they're doing the exact same thing for PvP in the future of Legion when literally nobody likes it.

I still enjoy WoW when I'm taking a break from other games, but you have to be a fucking idiot if you think Blizzard is listening to any of us.

Argarth

On the verandah
I liked their response to "Blizzard used to care about gamers and listen to them, but now they don't!" and they don't offer an argument other than calling people self-entitled liars.

Because I'm pretty sure 100% of people disliked garrison missions, a lot of them hated garrisons from like the 2nd month on - and then in response to nobody liking that at all, they gave us shipyards which were exactly the same. All the outrage against shipyards ensued and now they're giving us follower missions in Legion lmao. If that isn't them not listening then I don't know what is. Everyone loved min/maxxing with reforging shit, and so they take it out to introduce a 100% RNG system where you could MAYBE get the stats on your item, or you can run HFC for months and not get shit because fuck you. They even put 100% RNG into the PVP gear that drops from Ashran and they've gone ahead and announced they're doing the exact same thing for PvP in the future of Legion when literally nobody likes it.

I still enjoy WoW when I'm taking a break from other games, but you have to be a fucking idiot if you think Blizzard is listening to any of us.
Pretty much covers it for mine. HeelvsBabyface made a video covering Ion Hazzikostas's responses to complaints about Garrison-esque features appearing in the latest Alpha build.

It's a long video, but reinforces just what you've outlined above.EMERGENCY AZ #21: You Think We Want it Ion.. But We Dont !! - YouTube

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Blizzard has come a long way from hiring gamers who had no experience in the video game industry other than being raid guild leaders and listening to everything they and other gamers like them wanted in a game to telling the people who play their games "Blizzard knows best".

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
No wonder they shut down Nost, we've got another 4-5 months of waiting for Legion, and people may have looked for something wow-related to do.
wink.png

norp

Bronze Squire

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I'm pretty sure not everyone hates garrison/shipyard missions, and a lot of people hated reforging. I would assume a massive portion of the player base either didn't take advantage of reforging, or did it incorrectly. I would also assume a lot of people really like the garrison/shipyard for the free gold they get for just clicking a few buttons. I personally agree with most of your points, but also understand that World of Warcraft development is not focused on the top 10% of players.

Bottom line is that the game is trying to appeal to everyone, but they are alienating a certain portion of the population regardless of what they do so in their minds they opt to focus on the greater good. I also don't think the game is hemorrhaging subscribers due to garrisons or any other feature in WoD, it seems like its a combination of the game being old and lack of content overall.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I'm playing devil's advocate here, but I'm pretty sure not everyone hates garrison/shipyard missions, and a lot of people hated reforging. I would assume a massive portion of the player base either didn't take advantage of reforging, or did it incorrectly. I would also assume a lot of people really like the garrison/shipyard for the free gold they get for just clicking a few buttons. I personally agree with most of your points, but also understand that World of Warcraft development is not focused on the top 10% of players.

Bottom line is that the game is trying to appeal to everyone, but they are alienating a certain portion of the population regardless of what they do so in their minds they opt to focus on the greater good. I also don't think the game is hemorrhaging subscribers due to garrisons or any other feature in WoD, it seems like its a combination of the game being old and lack of content overall.
The lack of content & how much garrisons drained from the game certainly made garrisons suck. Shipyard was just boring as fuck from the get go.

axeman_sl

shitlord
I highly doubt that. Even if a few do say so, it's an opinion so patently retarded that nobody would take them seriously. They would be harassed out of whatever community they vomited such nonsense onto. It shouldn't be a concern at all. However, Blizzard and their whitest knights have thus far been able to cling to the delusion that the game isn't actually getting worse, it's just getting dated, and that WoW's decline stems from nothing other than the inevitable toll of age. Even though anyone with a shred of sense knows this is bullshit, they retain semi-plausible deniability. If they then make legacy servers and these immediately gain hundreds of thousands of players and a significant spike in subscriptions, they can no longer claim that there's no real demand for old WoW, nor can they deny the otherwise fairly prevalent opinion that the game has been mismanaged into the ground every post-WotLK step of the way.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
All those resources and the best they could come up with for expansions was MOAR GARRISONSES's