WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
Hey Cad, any truth to that claim that if they don't challenge it anyone else can say "But you didn't do anything to them!" and it not get laughed out of court?
With trademarks yes, trademarks must be defended or they can be considered abandoned

Private server is dubiously a trademark infringement since they were never claiming it was a Blizzard product.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
MMO-Champion - Official Reply to Vanilla Servers and Nostalrius

So...is this Blizz at the end just trying to pat folks on the head and quell disorder? What's up with the last comment from Brack about being in touch with Nostra folks? I fail to see how they couldn't license this shit out. Granted I saw that Nostra was becoming a cash hog. I only really buy arguments of time for this. The code is spaghetti by now, but if a few guys in a basement can do it, blizzard can do it with some time allotted.

Urlithani

Vyemm Raider
I can see how it might be a problem for Blizzard to do it. They wouldn't implement it without battle.net integration, which means jamming some code in there to interface with classic and the rest of their games. Now the interface has to be classic but have new functionality.

I'm sure most people don't care if they show up on their friends' lists while on the classic servers, but Blizzard does. They want all your HoTS, D3, Hearthstone, and StarCraft friends seeing you on the nostalgia server if they're going to go through the effort of getting it done.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
"One other note - we've recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks."

I'm remaining hopeful for a more SOE type of arrangement. But at least the topic is genuinely being considered.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I can see how it might be a problem for Blizzard to do it. They wouldn't implement it without battle.net integration, which means jamming some code in there to interface with classic and the rest of their games. Now the interface has to be classic but have new functionality.

I'm sure most people don't care if they show up on their friends' lists while on the classic servers, but Blizzard does. They want all your HoTS, D3, Hearthstone, and StarCraft friends seeing you on the nostalgia server if they're going to go through the effort of getting it done.
When you look at it that way its easy to see why they say it's not possible.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It isn't that it is not possible. It is possible. To Blizzard, the financial gains do not outweigh the cost involved with setting it up in a manner up to their standards. It is not easy is the point.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
"One other note - we've recently been in contact with some of the folks who operated Nostalrius. They obviously care deeply about the game, and we look forward to more conversations with them in the coming weeks."

I'm remaining hopeful for a more SOE type of arrangement. But at least the topic is genuinely being considered.
About the only way I could see that working is if Blizzard basically issued an amnesty to everyone running third-party servers and said "Give us your code, kill your servers and wemightbe able to get some nostalgia/time-locked/progression servers up and running using what you've given us (and we could hire a couple of you on the down-low if you can keep your mouths shut) but this is a one-time deal". Anything else is basically putting up a big sign saying "Please set up pirate servers and steal our money kthx"

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
About the only way I could see that working is if Blizzard basically issued an amnesty to everyone running third-party servers and said "Give us your code, kill your servers and wemightbe able to get some nostalgia/time-locked/progression servers up and running using what you've given us (and we could hire a couple of you on the down-low if you can keep your mouths shut) but this is a one-time deal". Anything else is basically putting up a big sign saying "Please set up pirate servers and steal our money kthx"
Uhh they certainly don't need the server code. Wtf? They don't need anything Nostalrius has. They're saying that to placate the masses. If they wanted to set up a non-integrated vanilla server they could do so in days.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think between 0.1 and 0.2% of the population played on nostalrius (using 18k and 7m as numbers - may be wrong). Blizzard doesn't give a shit.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
The numbers I've heard thrown around were 800k active accounts on Nostalrius. I have no idea how true that is, but it does seem way too high for that kind of server.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah it's tough to base it on active accounts because since it's free there's no barrier for entry.

I guess 18k is pretty low too - I forget what the weekend activity numbers were

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
No plans to launch their own classic servers

Sue anyone who even thinks of launching their own non-profit classic server

Can't explain that

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Have Classic EQ progression servers extended the life and profitability of that game?

I do wonder how many would come back. I played Emerald Dream up to 30 or so and quit. I think you'd have a lot of "getting the band back together" followed by the inevitable break-up at 30.

The there'd be one group that poopsocks through and destroys the raid content in a month.