WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
They could defend their trademark by requiring the private servers to clearly mark their products not made or endorsed by Blizzard, use at your own risk, meant to emulate but is not produced by etc. etc.

They just don't want vanilla servers out there because they think it leeches subs. But not enough subs to do their own vanilla servers. Yet.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Blizzard is pretty good at dumping subs without the help of Nost servers.

Hope Legion works out for you, Blizzbros.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
No plans to launch their own classic servers

Sue anyone who even thinks of launching their own non-profit classic server

Can't explain that
I can explain it fairly easily. Its against the rules to launch your own private server. Blizzard owns the IP and isn't willing to give it away for people to use even if those people aren't personally profiting. It would be an extraordinarily slippery slope to go down to allow a classic server to open because where do you draw the line on what is an acceptable private server and what is an unacceptable private server?

Even to this day Blizzard doesn't love iCCup/Fish SC:BW private servers

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
When classic fans hear the "protecting muh IP" argument

Sarcastic-Okay-Gif-09.gif

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Thanks for the fact-check, noodle.

We were not aware the Blizzard owned WoW

Tenks

Have Classic EQ progression servers extended the life and profitability of that game?

I do wonder how many would come back. I played Emerald Dream up to 30 or so and quit. I think you'd have a lot of "getting the band back together" followed by the inevitable break-up at 30.

The there'd be one group that poopsocks through and destroys the raid content in a month.
I think the issue with a WoW vanilla server is it has literally no where to go after Naxx. Unlike EQ when a WoW expansion gets released it completely resets everything. So once the server unlocks TBC everything you did previously is wiped and it doesn't matter. Since you'd expect this release schedule to be faster than the normal expansion release schedule by Blizzard you'd be just on an infinite treadmill of build up, break down.

Then this isn't even taking into account that I think most people would be bored to tears doing vanilla 40 man content. It was fun at the time but the game itself has evolved far past what vanilla was offering in terms of raid mechanics. Oh yeah and I can only imagine people having to clear trash for an hour to get to actual boss content. Trash is pretty much just a speedbump in modern WoW raid content but in MC and some parts of AQ and Naxx it took for fucking ever to clear that shit. BWL didn't really have bad trash outside of Vael to Brood.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They would be bored to tears with the current suite of available addons. The game's mechanics only changed because the addons keep getting more and more sophisticated making the previously implemented mechanics too easy to deal with.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I think the issue with a WoW vanilla server is it has literally no where to go after Naxx. Unlike EQ when a WoW expansion gets released it completely resets everything. So once the server unlocks TBC everything you did previously is wiped and it doesn't matter. Since you'd expect this release schedule to be faster than the normal expansion release schedule by Blizzard you'd be just on an infinite treadmill of build up, break down.

Then this isn't even taking into account that I think most people would be bored to tears doing vanilla 40 man content. It was fun at the time but the game itself has evolved far past what vanilla was offering in terms of raid mechanics. Oh yeah and I can only imagine people having to clear trash for an hour to get to actual boss content. Trash is pretty much just a speedbump in modern WoW raid content but in MC and some parts of AQ and Naxx it took for fucking ever to clear that shit. BWL didn't really have bad trash outside of Vael to Brood.
The server admins could easily cut the # of lava/flame packs in MC, for example... some of them are just stupid. After MC and the suppression room in BWL I don't remember trash being that bad. ZG was actually fun and AQ20 wasn't bad.

Most of the raids were pretty easy but I don't think most people playing Vanilla are looking for twitch challenging gameplay. I think they're looking for smoke a bowl get 5lbs of cheetos and veg out farming essences for 6 hours on a tuesday afternoon because what the fuck else you going to do type gameplay.

Tenks

AQ40 and Naxx had some long trash parts. I'm trying to remember something almost a decade ago but I remember in AQ40 you kill the first boss, skip the optional, kill the second, kill the third then there is a gauntlet trash going to the 4th then after that I thought I remember a boring trash session. In Naxx since it was winged some wings were a pain in the ass. Spider wing you hit Anub, quick trash to the spider bitch but then I remember a long ass trash session to get to the next boss. I think on the human side it took a while to get to the first boss as well.

In modern WoW it seems more like three to four trash pulls max between boss encounters.

Only downside of removing some MC trash would be they dropped parts for crafting. I guess you could adjust to loot table so they drop more frequently to fix that.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The server admins could easily cut the # of lava/flame packs in MC, for example... some of them are just stupid. After MC and the suppression room in BWL I don't remember trash being that bad. ZG was actually fun and AQ20 wasn't bad.

Most of the raids were pretty easy but I don't think most people playing Vanilla are looking for twitch challenging gameplay. I think they're looking for smoke a bowl get 5lbs of cheetos and veg out farming essences for 6 hours on a tuesday afternoon because what the fuck else you going to do type gameplay.
AQ40 trash was literal AIDs.

Tenks

With all that said if Blizzard released a vanilla server and maybe increased the XP gain from mobiles by like 150% I'd probably play it. Tanking as a warrior in vanilla will always have a soft spot in my heart.