WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I think another aspect forgotten with the private realms is there are many people who don't bother or won't even look at them due to the fact they aren't official and all their shit could be erased at any time.

As for the the social aspect of MMO's being gone Neno is correct there are many factors at play. As much as it may be to spam abilities every global cooldown it also doesn't leave much time to type. There is no downtime between pulls, in fact if there is downtime you will get some social interactions but it usually consist of "Go" or "Pull" or "WTF" or maybe you will just get the hunter pulling the next pack like the cock knobbers they are.

All of the tedious bullshit as many people like to call it where the points when you met people in this game. At least on the private servers you know you and the people there have a least some thoughts in common on what you want to play.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
There is as much or as little interaction as you seek in modern MMO's. The medium has just changed to voice. In EQ you could get by with typing like in a chat room or forum because of the ridiculous downtime. These days people mostly won't tolerate pulling something and sitting for 5 minutes between pulls. Can't say I blame them either but you can still be communicative and social in team speak, vent, mumble etc.

The emu servers and specifically old school servers are a great way to get people that normally wouldn't play the game (i have no intention of returning to current Wow) but would play the older version for whatever reason (something I've done and would even pay to do). I'm sure eventually Bliz will get it done and until then we have rebirth and some others to dink around with.

I'm kind of surprised they don't have the server back ups saved somewhere. Seems to me that would be a trivial thing to archive and something that would be archived (roll backs on bad patch) unless specifically deleted. Not sure why anyone would even do that.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
fuck being forced to voice chat in MMOs. i'm busy killing a dragon, if i hear your whiny ass nerd voice in my ear it's going to completely ruin my immersion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Miele

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm not a fan of voice chat, I can live with it very occasionally with close friends, with random stranger it would be unbearable for more than 30 seconds. It's not only immersion, it's peace I'm looking for when I play, not nerds talking about anything that travels through their brains.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I'm not a fan of voice chat, I can live with it very occasionally with close friends, with random stranger it would be unbearable for more than 30 seconds. It's not only immersion, it's peace I'm looking for when I play, not nerds talking about anything that travels through their brains.
This right here. Listening to 13 year olds talk about who's the bigger fag sucks fucking faggot dick.

• 1Like

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
This right here. Listening to 13 year olds talk about who's the bigger fag sucks fucking faggot dick.
Every guild has to have that 16 year old kid who just talks nonstop through the raid about absolutely nothing..

I just found myself muting most of the people outside of officers back when I played with a real guild.

• 1Like

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
The problem is the MMO playerbase is, overall, much more skilled than they were in the days of pre-voice chat. Both by practice and by extraneous help (multiple monitors, macros, etc etc). Any progression content challenging to a group with voice chat is going to be unbearable for a group without voice chat. I'm sympathetic to those who feel it damages immersion, but I don't play MMOs to be immersed... I want to do hard things with other people.

It isn't hard at all to find a few people who don't ramble incessantly on voice chat and use it for important comms, nor is it hard to set your own group up and establish proper communication etiquette.

• 1Like

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
Totally agree.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
best emu i ever played on was with some bros from here, it was a Uo WoW open world full pvp, we went hard on that shit and ruined the godamn server was amazing.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
There is as much or as little interaction as you seek in modern MMO's. The medium has just changed to voice. In EQ you could get by with typing like in a chat room or forum because of the ridiculous downtime. These days people mostly won't tolerate pulling something and sitting for 5 minutes between pulls. Can't say I blame them either but you can still be communicative and social in team speak, vent, mumble etc.

The emu servers and specifically old school servers are a great way to get people that normally wouldn't play the game (i have no intention of returning to current Wow) but would play the older version for whatever reason (something I've done and would even pay to do). I'm sure eventually Bliz will get it done and until then we have rebirth and some others to dink around with.

I'm kind of surprised they don't have the server back ups saved somewhere. Seems to me that would be a trivial thing to archive and something that would be archived (roll backs on bad patch) unless specifically deleted. Not sure why anyone would even do that.
If you're asking why Blizz doesn't have backups, they do. It's the costs associated with maintaining multiple versions of the game (security, bnet infrastructure upgrades, bnet integration, etc) that keeps them from doing an official "throwback" server.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
If you're asking why Blizz doesn't have backups, they do. It's the costs associated with maintaining multiple versions of the game (security, bnet infrastructure upgrades, bnet integration, etc) that keeps them from doing an official "throwback" server.
That may be true, but they could make it work if they wanted to. So far, they haven't been willing to devote any resources.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
They are in a catch 22 in a way. On one hand let's say they make a classic server or pristine servers or whatever bullshit they decide on. Let's for the sake of argument assume it's fairly popular well great but now people are playing on the old server and not buying legion. Or worse yet it might be proven that LFR was a fucking mistake. Well just like when the retard rocks where added to the game aka "summoning stones" for those who can recall the first iteration everytime I new team touches WoW they have to alter the whole fucking thing to try and leave their mark. If it turns out that the new devs are pure dogshit and the older or custom versions are better well they can't really have that now can they?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
They are in a catch 22 in a way. On one hand let's say they make a classic server or pristine servers or whatever bullshit they decide on. Let's for the sake of argument assume it's fairly popular well great but now people are playing on the old server and not buying legion. Or worse yet it might be proven that LFR was a fucking mistake. Well just like when the retard rocks where added to the game aka "summoning stones" for those who can recall the first iteration everytime I new team touches WoW they have to alter the whole fucking thing to try and leave their mark. If it turns out that the new devs are pure dogshit and the older or custom versions are better well they can't really have that now can they?
Just make it so you must have the latest xpac to play on classic?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Rebirth is keeping my kids busy so far this summer, haha. They're actually playing together and doing quests/dungeons. They're a warrior/priest duo. I was too cheap to buy them two retail accounts, lol!

niss_sl

shitlord
Nostalrius was so awesome. It really bothers me it shut down. Thoughts of vanilla keep popping up in my mind all the time.

lindz

#DDs
Kronos is where everyone is at these days. Though the new Crestfall looks like it'll be decent too.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
Trying to find a vanilla server to mess around with friends. Is Kronos 2 a good option? We are mostly into world pvp crushing kids in purples with our blues.