WoW Vanilla Emu - Emerald Dream

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
It's been said more eloquently by a poster on MMO-champion, but the only reason I play current WoW is because I have an attachment to my characters and the world, which I love despite the debatable quality of the lore at some points in the story arc. Most of my characters (7 of them) are from early 2005, when I started playing at EU release, some are blood elves from TBC release (2) and then there are the death knight and the monk from their respective expansions. These are my 11 "mains", all level 100, split on the 2 factions (fuck segregated factions in modern wow by the way).

I usually enjoy the content provided by Blizzard and always did so, some times more than others. Since I was never a fan of RTS games, Warcraft 3 didn't influence me much back in the days (I played it very shortly and never the Frozen Throne xpack), because honestly I was devoted to Diablo 2. World of Warcraft made me fall in love with the genre, much more than EQ did, because it was just awesome. From February 2005 to April 2016 I have approximately 370 days /played, which pretty much means 80% of my gaming time. I've been subbed much more than I've been unsubbed (which happened from time to time for brief periods).

Even during modern WoW I had mostly to compliment them for the quality of their main title, for example during Mists of Pandaria, which I loved for several reasons.

Playing on vanilla servers is still a better experience. It's not a better gameplay, because the evolution in that regard is hardly disputable, especially for some class skills that made them more interesting and less absurd to play, but the whole experience is on a whole different level. The amount of dedication required for most things, even if done in little steps playing casually is alien to modern gameplay. The fact mobs could own you even during newbie levels (even pre level 10) was a testament to a world with dangers in it and as such much more interesting. Even 11 years later the journey (which I did several times already during vanilla) was very enjoyable, including the trips and the hikes around the world to collect all the quests to go inside a dungeon, such as the quest chain in Desolace for Alliance characters that ended with a quest for Scarlet Monastery (which rewarded an awesome 1h blue sword) or those chains that didn't have very good rewards, I remember the Faded Photograph found in Un'goro Crater, but it still connected different zones and gave the feeling of living in a coherent world.

I've never been a fan of flying mounts or instant travels or stuff like that, for the journey is everything and "end game" to me has always sounded like "ok the game is over, now starts the work". Raiding could be fun, but it rarely was unless you were so lucky to be a in a well coordinated and drama-free guild. I did MC and Onyxia and even BWL (and ZG, which I enjoyed a lot more, must have been the raid size), then I gave up after a little AQ20 and I never saw the original Naxxramas, nor AQ40.

I spend a little time on private servers, but I'd prefer if Blizzard would put up official vanilla servers, without fucking them up with some bullshit. Patch 1.12, it's never going to change, accept it or leave it: I'd pay, period.
I definitely enjoyed ZG more than BWL or AQ. MC was fun at first but thats probably just because it was first.

I hear what you are saying about the world being dangerous, too. In the new expansions, you run around totally wtfpwning everything, and your level up time is mostly limited by travel time and spawns. Vanilla was like, fuck I gotta eat/bandage/drink after every mob, if I pull 2 I have to run for my life, etc. Definitely a lot more tension just grinding because the mobs were dangerous. Don't get started on the roaming elites that would 1-shot you...

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I was levelling a DK and Hunter from 80 - 100 and I literally would hit two buttons to kill anything.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I was levelling a DK and Hunter from 80 - 100 and I literally would hit two buttons to kill anything.
Leveling 90-100 I never even got to use my primary abilities until I got into a dungeon because everything died so fast. And even then I was low on DPS meters because half the mobs would die while my frostbolts were in the air so they didn't count.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
its interesting 10 years after the vanilla close, we are talking about the difficulty and immersion like we did EQ, not saying its not true, just funny to me.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I sure as shit didn't enjoy the terrible GY placement in vanilla on top of Nostalrius's lightning fast overworld respawn rates. It made it brutal to solo some high mob density areas, and occasionally you just couldn't get anyone to roll with. That's why I'd go out of my way to help people that were in that situation themselves. Every now and then the same was done for me. GYs should be a lot more central to each zone if you're gonna go with just one. I don't know what it's like in modern WoW, but when I quit in Cata I felt like the balance on how far I had to run to resume my progress was just slightly too chill, but nothing I'd bitch about. I think it was in BC when they really started considering GY placement better after we had to run through 4/5ths of Blade's Edge if we died to the aviaks in the northwest.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Dat GY from dying in south Barrens.

It should also be noted that Nost emulated Barrens chat perfectly.

barrenschat.jpg

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Didn't SOE offer different iterations of official EQ servers at some point, similar to what we're talking about here with WoW? Or am I mis-remembering?

Khane

Got something right about marriage
They even progress the servers as people beat the content in each expansion and they are very popular.

That's what makes that "You think you do, but you don't" quote from that video so laughable.

Stench

Golden Knight of the Realm
They even progress the servers as people beat the content in each expansion and they are very popular.

That's what makes that "You think you do, but you don't" quote from that video so laughable.
Ya, I basically have zero desire to support them anymore now that they have this mindset. Nice customer service blizz. I hope they let that guy go, that shits cancer.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
Weakest arguing point that every shill props up on rickety legs. There have been multiple points in this thread alone proposing mutually benefitial solutions that do not threaten blizzard, and satisfy both party's interests. All without digging anymore than superficially into blizzards coffers. The problem is not them defending their intellectual property, it's their unwillingness to address and acknowledge what communities like nostalrius are looking for. They would prefer to leave them alone and forgotten, like Nana in the nursing home.

xzi

Mouthbreather
Maybe, but if you force people into having subs and the most recent expansion to play a vanilla server, that's business you're going to get vs absoltuely zero business you got when they were playing on Nost. I'm sure a very large portion of that server don't even touch retail so it's their loss.

However I still believe them when they say they don't have the original code for the game without putting a lot of work into it, it would be obnoxious for them to pull team off current content to recode 12 year old shit.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
It's just weird when they say sifting the code is unpossible/a sisyphean undertaking... when it very clearly is possible, since 3-5 dudes working in their spare time were able to do the bulk of it. And plenty of other groups were also able to mostly do, albeit more shittily, with similarly sized teams.

Maybe the reason they doubled their WoW team size and still failed to close the year+ content droughts was because THEY'VE BEEN SECRETLY RECODING A CLASSIC SERVER ALL ALONG. DUN DUN DUN.

Khane

How long do you think they keep older versions in source control? Because there is no reason for a company that has made this much money not to keep each version forever.

Khane

Fairly interesting read on the other side of the coin:

Ask a Game Developer
Stopped reading when he started talking about why it's not simple to just roll back an MMOG like it is with a single player game like he's never heard of source control. Apparently only single player games can be checked into source control. Which came right after his first paragraph where he's talking like he's a lawyer.

Hey Cad, any truth to that claim that if they don't challenge it anyone else can say "But you didn't do anything to them!" and it not get laughed out of court?

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
How long do you think they keep older versions in source control? Because there is no reason for a company that has made this much money not to keep each version forever.
This is the dumbest thing when Blizzard talks about it, they came out in 2004 and hardware was widely available to do back ups. I'm not an IT guy but I'd wager any time you roll out a patch, you have a solid backup stored incase it fails. The only thing that could be an issue would be netcode but that can't be that big of an issue.

Remmy

Golden Knight of the Realm
Maybe there's not enough of you for Blizzard to give a shit?
Since they took the time to issue legal threats/mandates, I think it's fair to say that blizzards gives some degree of shit. If you are going to troll/shitpost, please do a more entertaining job.