Writers Guild Strike 2023

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is all fake! I just heard they're using professional actors on the picket lines.

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Influencer should have the same connotation as pedophile.
At the very least, thot and/or simp.

Actually thots should be above them, some are legitimately good at being hot.

How about we put them down with "people who enjoy ASMR"?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Universal is at war with the strikers.

ppl who contribute zero to society now complain about landscapers doing real work

bfb909f14b5d9b783918159609ca9328.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
But it was a one time job, right? Was anyone in Hollywood expected to go back to work on that same project without extra compensation even once? No. If you did well, you get other forms of compensation from people's enjoyment...which Hollywood actors have taken advantage of for about a century. "But they need more!" Actually, they don't.

This is actually where residuals came from. They didnt exist until Television. Before that, it was one job, one payment. The strike then (may have been the strike when Reagan was president of SAG) was basically due to the industry disruption that TV caused. The value of a movie roughly doubled cause a studio could sell it twice (or more), so the people who worked on the movies wanted a bigger piece of the pie (or really to bring the split back to where it was before a new avenue of revenue was forged). Streaming is that new industry disruption.

And that doesn't even cover the times people have had to sue the studios for declaring everything in the red (Jackson with Lord of the Rings, David Duchovny with X-Files, Alan Alda with MASH) and not paying out residuals on clearly very popular things that they sold over and over.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
who needs friday the 13th?

hollywood ain't got nuttin on appropriately tempered crispy no arm man

can't even say he's angry, i'd be mad too if i had no arms

• 2WTF

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This is actually where residuals came from. They didnt exist until Television. Before that, it was one job, one payment. The strike then (may have been the strike when Reagan was president of SAG) was basically due to the industry disruption that TV caused. The value of a movie roughly doubled cause a studio could sell it twice (or more), so the people who worked on the movies wanted a bigger piece of the pie (or really to bring the split back to where it was before a new avenue of revenue was forged). Streaming is that new industry disruption.

And that doesn't even cover the times people have had to sue the studios for declaring everything in the red (Jackson with Lord of the Rings, David Duchovny with X-Files, Alan Alda with MASH) and not paying out residuals on clearly very popular things that they sold over and over.
Lot of words to say theyre greedy just like the studios.

• 1Like

Gutterflesh

Parody Account
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
who needs friday the 13th?

hollywood ain't got nuttin on appropriately tempered crispy no arm man

can't even say he's angry, i'd be mad too if i had no arms

He's wielding a pair of scissors with his toes.

Adapt and overcome.
1689752821011.png

• 3Mother of God
  • 2Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

Goatface

1689769052422.png

"I live in Los Angeles and I have two kids," he continued. "I got paid per episode, which is 2 weeks of work, $7,500. Then it's taxed, then a manager takes 10%, an agent takes 10% and a lawyer takes 5%."

• 2Worf

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
36 years old. Hasn't really had any success in acting. The one role they cite him for he's like the 20th listed actor on the Wiki page, and it was cancelled 3 years ago. Cries about how he's going to lose health insurance and he's not even actively working, and that he "only" got $7500 for two weeks worth of work.

These people are so fucking out of touch. Try getting a real job and see how that compares.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Khane

Got something right about marriage
36 years old. Hasn't really had any success in acting. The one role they cite him for he's like the 20th listed actor on the Wiki page, and it was cancelled 3 years ago. Cries about how he's going to lose health insurance and he's not even actively working.

These people are so fucking out of touch. Try getting a real job and see how that compares.

$15k / mo is also quite a lot more than the average American.

• 2Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>

Yep, and I don't blame them for wanting more of the pie but the argument for the writers is that they just want what is owed to them, which is a terrible argument. These aren't normal jobs and a lot of the compensation isn't necessarily financial (even though those benefits are usually quite good as well). These people aren't close to living in the 'poorhouse' and can have a lot of pull that offsets the monetary benefits. I won't even go into the actors and their unrealistic demands....because I'm an actor!

I have no love of the studios, but the quality of writers has decreased primarily due to ESG and other secondary factors than writing. I can want both parties to lose their asses in this.

Juvarisx

Florida

Hey someone who actually read what happened and not just mindlessly saying fuck everyone hurray!

36 years old. Hasn't really had any success in acting. The one role they cite him for he's like the 20th listed actor on the Wiki page, and it was cancelled 3 years ago. Cries about how he's going to lose health insurance and he's not even actively working, and that he "only" got $7500 for two weeks worth of work.

I think the issue is that two weeks of work was filming the entire season, and once that is done its not like he continues to get that $7500 per two weeks. Its why you'd see actors in the 80's and 90's show up for 1-2 episode son every network show in existence, to keep the pay checks steady.

Frankly i'd rather make the money I make now then the possibility of $195,000 a year but with that stipulation that it probably wont be.

• 1Picard

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And you're a responsible adult. So you'd do the math and say, wow, maybe this isn't actually a realistic career and I should find something else to do. Much easier to complain it's not fair though and you deserve more.

$7500 for two weeks of work isn't enough to live on for the year, so they should pay me ten times that amount. I gotta survive, right?

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Juvarisx

Florida
And you're a responsible adult. So you'd do the math and say, wow, maybe this isn't actually a realistic career and I should find something else to do. Much easier to complain it's not fair though and you deserve more.

$7500 for two weeks of work isn't enough to live on for the year, so they should pay me ten times that amount. I gotta survive, right?

The argument isn't that he should get paid x dollars more, its that if the show was on Fox or whatever he would get some bucks if it was a rerun since Fox was using it to sell ad time or if it syndicated and was on We tv on a marathon 3 times a week like Law and Order is (that's a whole other can of worms and a really interesting reason why every actor in existence has been on it). So during a time like say in the past 6 months where he hasn't been on anything but is lining projects up he has some passive income to get by on.

Acting for 99% is a shit job, but what is the alternative you are proposing? Everything animated? Everything 3-4 man shows? Would look real boring without smaller actors or extras or anything.

Here is a better example then that fucking guy as I never watched Sabrina.

Paywalled so use Reader (ironic)

"The actor Mark Proksch, for example, made more money off residuals from one season of guest appearances on The Office, under the old system, than he has in five seasons of starring in What We Do in the Shadows, under the new system."

That rando actor is Colin Robinson on WWDITS and is probably the funniest one and def the best one. Now you can say that old system must be fucked. And maybe, but then turn on Comedy Central these days and see how much Office they air. Its fucking constant, and they sell ad space obviously, and it must be making money cause its been that way for years and years. So I get why they would want Residuals. Now my wife can watch Office on loop for $10 bucks a month cause we paid $5 more for no ads on Peacock. Suddenly no more ad money. How is Peacock supposed to make anything under that system? Turns out they fucking dont and none of them do and they are burning Billions in a giant fire pit.

Streaming is working for noone but the consumer, and those times are ending here soon I think.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
"The actor Mark Proksch, for example, made more money off residuals from one season of guest appearances on The Office, under the old system, than he has in five seasons of starring in What We Do in the Shadows, under the new system."

That rando actor is Colin Robinson on WWDITS and is probably the funniest one and def the best one. Now you can say that old system must be fucked. And maybe, but then turn on Comedy Central these days and see how much Office they air. Its fucking constant, and they sell ad space obviously, and it must be making money cause its been that way for years and years. So I get why they would want Residuals.

This is an example of a perverse incentive and should be discouraged, not encouraged. These studios know approximately the worth of each of these people inside of a movie or show; they should have contracts that last a year (or season) and pay them a set amount for the time they work and then stipulate that they can be asked back for reshoots or more scenes for that year/season for another set amount. This protects the workers because they know how much they are being paid for a set duration and how much they will get paid for more work. It also makes sure that if the show gets big they can ask for more money in later seasons because the contract is yearly. They all benefit because they can probably work on multiple projects a year and not rely on a single one. This also gets rid of this ridiculous residuals argument.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
View attachment 483113

"I live in Los Angeles and I have two kids," he continued. "I got paid per episode, which is 2 weeks of work, $7,500. Then it's taxed, then a manager takes 10%, an agent takes 10% and a lawyer takes 5%."

Oh I only got paid the equivalent of $195k a year to dress up and play pretend.. boohoo. Jesus fucking christ the sooner the big one finally sends California into the fucking depths of the abyss the fucking better.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Oh I only got paid the equivalent of $195k a year to dress up and play pretend.. boohoo. Jesus fucking christ the sooner the big one finally sends California into the fucking depths of the abyss the fucking better.
if he's saying he only got $7,500 total income that year, he has to sell his 2 kids and whore out his wife then

if actors aren't working, theyre just lazying around smoking weed