Writers Guild Strike 2023

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Anyone that thinks ChatGPT is going to be able to write anything interesting hasn't spent very long with ChatGPT.

I'm writing a novel that includes a lot of conversations with fairly rudimentary artificial intelligences (and a few more advanced ones) and I can't even get it to roleplay as an AI well enough to produce good dialogue of being an AI. Some interesting ideas? Sure. Actual good writing? No.
I'll note that nobody who thinks chatgpt can replace tv writers in 2023 has taken me up on my request to get chatgpt to write a script or screenplay.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Anyone that thinks ChatGPT is going to be able to write anything interesting hasn't spent very long with ChatGPT.

I'm writing a novel that includes a lot of conversations with fairly rudimentary artificial intelligences (and a few more advanced ones) and I can't even get it to roleplay as an AI well enough to produce good dialogue of being an AI. Some interesting ideas? Sure. Actual good writing? No.
Yet

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
I'll note that nobody who thinks chatgpt can replace tv writers in 2023 has taken me up on my request to get chatgpt to write a script or screenplay.
lol, it can't even get your name right.

You are TUCCO now.

Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 17-29-23 ChatGPT.png
Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 17-29-45 ChatGPT.png
Screenshot 2023-05-04 at 17-29-59 ChatGPT.png

Better than WB.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Fadaar

That guy
At some point though if taken to the extreme and say we replace all artists (including writing) with AI, does AI just train itself off art AI itself creates? SO a computer dictates what is great art, or a great show / movie. How can you train an AI to make Star Wars if there isn't a Star Wars to train itself on. These AI's only work even kinda now because someone used creativity to create the things its learning to create.

If there is no career path or profession for any of it, then people will not focus on creativity at all. There is no more Denis Villeneuve wrote and directed his first four films including the one he got notice for which lead to his standing as the best Sci Fi director living. Why would Tarantino bother writing scripts to things like True Romance if he couldn't get paid and make a lil money to make Reservoir Dogs.

Like hate on the industry all you like, but flat saying of why do we need these people at all is really short sighted. Why would anyone get into the industry to proof a script an AI came up with for $20 an hour or whatever was suggested earlier. At most it should be used to help the process, using it completely it sucks the soul out of work, I come back to that South Park again. The AI trained itself on the entire library of South Park, came up with an ending to an episode and it was fucking lifeless. It's not just that it wasn't funny, cause not all of South Park has been, it just removed Trey and Matt's voices from the show, there was nothing redeeming, no point, nothing even attempting anything original. It wasn't even their humor anymore, which I think is the worst thing about it.

I do find it funny that one of the people saying why do they need these people at all is using a avatar from a show that was pretty fucking original that I struggle to comprehend how an AI would come up with.

I bet given enough inputs Disney could auto generate another 30 years of Marvel movies in a matter of minutes

• 3Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>

Can you please link a few pages of your novella? I'd love to read it.

• 1Barf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The model doesn't train/evolve in real time. Even if they were to ingest 10x more drivel from the internet as a dataset to train the GPT-5 model, the odds that it will produce 10x better, "more creative" results is very low.

There's a very good chance that we're near the limit of what you can do with LLM transformer architecture without some radical new advancement on top of transformers. There's still no real "knowledge" architecture or reasoning engine, it's just all weighted pattern matching.
Can you please link a few pages of your novella? I'd love to read it.
It's not a novella, it's a novel. 33k words so far and 28k of them are actually pretty good. Aiming for 120-130k. Out of 4 serious attempts to write a novel in my life, it's going the best so far. It's a slightly goofy story set during the next big tech boom, when the technologies in the headlines today (crypto, metaverse, autonomous vehicles, AI, wearable OLED, headsets and 3D display tech) have matured modestly but nowhere near what was hyped, and are now just consumer gadgets and corporate IT systems that drive us nuts. No dystopia and no world-ending big bad, but a hopefully clever set of protagonists and an interesting antagonist AI that I think hasn't quite been done before.

When I am done, I will be releasing it for free, retaining the rights.

It's also about 20% about MMO-style games and addiction. There's a not-very-thinly veiled reference to the Sleeper, and a ton of WoW references too.

Aside from some help with getting names right (especially getting Indian and Middle Eastern names correct) and some advanced thesaurus abilities, ChatGPT has not been very useful, despite the fact that the main idea for the protagonist and antagonist came to me within minutes after interacting with ChatGPT.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
While I've definitely been shitting on the writers, I just have to laugh at this one. Like, get a fucking grip, no one cares.

• 3Picard
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
Neat, my point more was where does an AI that has no idea what a dragon is come up with one if it’s not trained on art that actual people created. Moreso, unless you think we are the peak of human creativity, it’s short sighted to think that AI can do it all alone.

We may be at peak though. As life has gotten easier, creativity has definitely seen a nosedive. Just like the internet providing almost unlimited previous knowledge hasn’t produced positive results, the extra time allowed people to use their creative talent has not provided better content. The content is embarrassingly shallow as people promote their diversity religion far more than their limited talent sets. I see almost nothing produced today that would be a significant hurdle to AI copying from past content.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
We may be at peak though. As life has gotten easier, creativity has definitely seen a nosedive. Just like the internet providing almost unlimited previous knowledge hasn’t produced positive results, the extra time allowed people to use their creative talent has not provided better content. The content is embarrassingly shallow as people promote their diversity religion far more than their limited talent sets. I see almost nothing produced today that would be a significant hurdle to AI copying from past content.
PC police killed creativity. You can't be creative or funny anymore without offending someone.

brown-crayons.jpg

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Eh, I think this is wrong. The best stuff is definitely better than it's ever been. The signal-to-noise ratio is just much worse, although it was always bad. Broadcast network TV was so bad for 50+ year existence, with a handful of standout gems (Star Trek, X-Files, etc.) out of thousands and thousands of shows.

• 2Picard
  • 1Like

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
PC police killed creativity. You can't be creative or funny anymore without offending someone.

View attachment 471990

Absolutely…and I don’t see them losing power with the insulated, ignorant, and hypocritical sheep being churned out by modern academia. These retards are afraid of anything that may be anti-groupthink. I don’t think you find creativity in sheeple. Mist Mist , name me this best stuff of all time.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Absolutely…and I don’t see them losing power with the insulated, ignorant, and hypocritical sheep being churned out by modern academia. These retards are afraid of anything that may be anti-groupthink. I don’t think you find creativity in sheeple. Mist Mist , name me this best stuff of all time.
I mean, we're in a rut right now, this year, because new shows didn't really start production during the pandemic. But the past 10 years have had tons of fantastic TV; there's been more great shows in the past 10 years than in all of TV history leading up to it.

• 1Pathetic

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Had there been a horror twist at the end, it would've been perfect, implementing an AI horror in a coffee shop story embedded in the AI generated story.

Could've called it AInception.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi

But again, chatgpt is one of thousands, and even some of those being publicly tested do better at this task.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I mean, we're in a rut right now, this year, because new shows didn't really start production during the pandemic. But the past 10 years have had tons of fantastic TV; there's been more great shows in the past 10 years than in all of TV history leading up to it.

Ok...name them. Original, fantastic TV we've never seen the like before. Now I know this thread is specifically about TV, but my comment was also meant to include all forms of written entertainment. There's a dearth of original, high-quality content in TV, movies, books, and other art today. Most of it is due to strangling artistic freedom under the guise of hurt feelings and equity.

• 1Dislike

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ok...name them. Original, fantastic TV we've never seen the like before. Now I know this thread is specifically about TV, but my comment was also meant to include all forms of written entertainment. There's a dearth of original, high-quality content in TV, movies, books, and other art today. Most of it is due to strangling artistic freedom under the guise of hurt feelings and equity.
Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, the first 3 seasons of Game Of Thrones. the Matt Smith years of Dr Who. first 2 seasons of Arrow and first season of Flash. First season of Gotham. lots of good stuff.