Writers Guild Strike 2023

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
writer strike and banking crashed happened same year, 2008

now banks are crashing and writers want to strike again...

• 2Mother of God
  • 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
writer strike and banking crashed happened same year, 2008

now banks are crashing and writers want to strike again...
You have stumbled upon the truth. I'd stay away from a typewriter if I were you.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Couldn't they just use ChatGPT now? With most of the crap coming out these days, I actually think the AI could do better. It would be funny if the studios went that direction and suddenly the writers no longer had jobs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The writers definitely have good arguments, for example the way you learn to be a good writer is working in a writers room with a bunch of senior writers and you contribute but mostly soak up what everyone else says. You also advance from journeyman to middle-tier to showrunner in a long standing writing room like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc where the writers work on stuff for months and months and they would rotate going to the sets to do last second rewrites etc but getting industry experience.

Studios don't allow that anymore though, they put together fast rooms that last maybe 3-4 weeks, bang out a bunch of scripts, and then the showrunner is the only one left with all the writers let go except for one maybe who just stays in an office on call to change stuff. There is no career advancement anymore, you just jump from short contract gig to gig similar to every gig economy job nowadays.
I'm kinda interested to hear more about this. Do you know of any journalists or experts covering this that have described that problem in more detail? Especially with reference to how these mini-rooms churn out garbage and cause massive breaks in continuity because the writers pop out a script, their contract ends, the script gets mangled and then the edited show doesn't make much sense. This was my biggest beef with the last season of Mandalarion which felt like a jumbled mess of "bad writing". It's easy to blame the writers for bad writing, but if the people actually doing the writing were abused during their work and removed before the script was truly finished, maybe it's not a writing problem but an exec problem?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Also, anyone who thinks ChatGPT is ready to churn out scripts for TV shows that you'd be willing to watch, give it a rip and post what scripts you can make with it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
Also, anyone who thinks ChatGPT is ready to churn out scripts for TV shows that you'd be willing to watch, give it a rip and post what scripts you can make with it.

Southpark did part of an episode with just ChatGPT and it was fucking baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. IT felt like a stupid teenager trying to do their best impression and it was just flat a mess. Don't get me wrong Southpark is not near where it used to be but ChatGPT just ripped Trey and Matt out of the show and it was plain soulless.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
The writers definitely have good arguments, for example the way you learn to be a good writer is working in a writers room with a bunch of senior writers and you contribute but mostly soak up what everyone else says. You also advance from journeyman to middle-tier to showrunner in a long standing writing room like Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, etc where the writers work on stuff for months and months and they would rotate going to the sets to do last second rewrites etc but getting industry experience.

Studios don't allow that anymore though, they put together fast rooms that last maybe 3-4 weeks, bang out a bunch of scripts, and then the showrunner is the only one left with all the writers let go except for one maybe who just stays in an office on call to change stuff. There is no career advancement anymore, you just jump from short contract gig to gig similar to every gig economy job nowadays.

I don't really give a fuck, being a writer is not a "good job" its just another aspect of being an entertaining clown and who gives a fuck what clowns say or think. Plus instead of thinking about their own careers the last decade they have turned most TV shows into garbage thanks to diversity hires who are absolute shit at doing anything other than posting on twitter. Still, if they have the power to strike and demand better pay and work environments -- why not, thats capitalism, fuck over the company for more money if you can.

It may take a decade or two but its obvious a mix of AI and self-insertion will allow Holodeck type self creation of all content, I for one can't wait to author classics like "TNG Dreams Vol 7: Ensign Deanna Troi and Beverly Crusher Nude Hot Yoga"
I disagree with you on how AI is going to impact screenwriting. You are not going to need a full team to write anything ever again. Look at this fully AI generated ad and tell me you couldn't just have one moderately non-shit writer go in and clean it up and you are off to the races. Have ChatGPT generate a couple runs through a script and have the writer weave and mold them into the best possible iteration.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Qhue

Trump's Staff
ChatGPT is great for 'stone soup' writing. It lets you avoid the numbing terror of a blank piece of paper and provides you with something you can work off of. I've used it myself for some D&D type stuff and while the end result contained essentially nothing from the AI output the stuff it generated was exceptionally handy in terms of getting the creative juices flowing.

Leon

<Silver Donator>
Man I haven't watched a single show/movie since the whole covid fiasco except for Top:gun maverick.

Fuck the show business industry as a whole and fuck their strikes.

• 3Like
  • 1Edgelord
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Theres a reason TV writers are the ones worried about this. AI can absolutley write scripts as good as network TV, right now. Over at dataannotation they're paying $20+ an hour to evaluate them, and I'd say about 1/10 of them are already pretty much TV quality.

I suspect the process spronk describes above really is how TV writers worked. Which is fucking hilarious to anyone whose every tried to accomplish anything in a group like that. Could chatGPT do better than that process? Fuck yes but so can manatees picking floating balls out of a net.

Real writing happens with one crusty old dude alone at his keyboard, often on something mind altering.

Committees produce only mediocrity and misery.

• 1Picard

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I'm normally anti-union, but not in Hollywood. Studios fuck everyone they can at every turn. Contract disputes can take years to sort out, and that's if you can afford lawyers in the first place. Without a union, the people who can't afford lawyers on their own is nearly everyone on the set.

That actually makes sense, along with some of the other industry norms people were discussing.

Here is my issue with the whole thing; why are these studios so fucking short sighted that they won't treat writers like any other profession? Hire the good ones for SALARIED work, go find up and comers to learn from them, and let them move up the ranks. It has worked for *literally* every industry so why wouldn't it be the same here?

Fucker

Log Wizard
That actually makes sense, along with some of the other industry norms people were discussing.

Here is my issue with the whole thing; why are these studios so fucking short sighted that they won't treat writers like any other profession? Hire the good ones for SALARIED work, go find up and comers to learn from them, and let them move up the ranks. It has worked for *literally* every industry so why wouldn't it be the same here?
The ONLY thing they care about is money. They will screw anyone to get it. As I said before, they know they don't have to serve steak when people are just as happy eating shit.

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
The ONLY thing they care about is money. They will screw anyone to get it. As I said before, they know they don't have to serve steak when people are just as happy eating shit.
anti-semitic GIF

• 6Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Oldbased

> Than U
So they just now are filming House of the Dragon S2? WTF. No wonder there is 3 years between movies and seasons now.

Cybsled

ChatGPT at the moment can only produce stuff like the "Intergalactic Cable" episodes of Rick and Morty. It can unintentionally stumble across some clever meme-like bits, but most of it sucks

• 1Pathetic
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
You guys realize chatGPT is one of the toy LLMs they released to the public, not the only LLM and certainly not the most advanced. Right? There are many (hundreds? Thousands?) of these things in training and development right now. Some of them quite specialized for script writing specifically.

It would be a great mistake to judge the general capabilities of LLMs from what one individual has seen in playing around the the public version of chatGPT.

• 1Solidarity

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
AI is going to do you writers what MS Office did to almost all other employees. Namely, the smart ones will use it to enhance their productivity and efficiency while the laggards will either be replaced by it or just be so good that they don't need it.

Imagine good writers using ChatGPT to check lore/character/setting consistency, fill out a crazy idea with more nuanced detail, or even just make sure they haven't fallen into a narrative trap that they cannot resolve.

Like the Battle of Winterfell being run through questions like "How would an army experienced in cold weather castle defense react to a slow moving army with no ability to learn but that outnumbered the defenders 100 to 1? What if the attacking army had a dragon?"

Simple questions being answered might force them to reconsider ultimately terrible ideas.

• 2Like

Cybsled

As a tool I don’t disagree it would be useful. I’ve seen artists use AI art programs to help with character posing at times or to figure out lighting, but then they do the rest of the art after that assist

• 1Picard
  • 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
ChatGPT at the moment can only produce stuff like the "Intergalactic Cable" episodes of Rick and Morty. It can unintentionally stumble across some clever meme-like bits, but most of it sucks

Idk, I think it depends on how you ask the questions. I was goofing off with it yesterday and had it write a post ending about Jamie lannister and it did a decent job, atleast enough to get started and do some editing.