Writers Strike and Unions

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
So as maybe a few of you might have heard, there could be an upcoming writers strike impacting all films and television (including much streaming and web-based content).

WGA Members Approve Strike Authorization In Historic Turnout

As one of those WGA members that voted yes, I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I wasn't a member in 2007 during the last strike, but a lot of my peers were and are still salty about the general loss of both content and money.

Do you think it's petulant whining? Is this good collective bargaining? Do you really not give a shit and just hope your favorite show/movie won't get canned or shelved because of it?

The basic details about why are outlined in the above linked article.

As a former IATSE member, I also wanted to know your thoughts on Unions in general.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I actually enjoyed the last strike, it led to some interesting happenings on TV.

• 2Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So as maybe a few of you might have heard, there could be an upcoming writers strike impacting all films and television (including much streaming and web-based content).

WGA Members Approve Strike Authorization In Historic Turnout

As one of those WGA members that voted yes, I wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I wasn't a member in 2007 during the last strike, but a lot of my peers were and are still salty about the general loss of both content and money.

Do you think it's petulant whining? Is this good collective bargaining? Do you really not give a shit and just hope your favorite show/movie won't get canned or shelved because of it?

The basic details about why are outlined in the above linked article.

As a former IATSE member, I also wanted to know your thoughts on Unions in general.

I have helped negotiate CBA's for and against Unions. Unions are only as good as their leadership and members. From my own experience the members usually have stupid demands and think they are worth way more and should be payed way more then they actually are. Unions actually ran better when the mob controlled them and were better for companies. I experienced this first hand.

As for what you guys are striking for. Simply not enough information in that article. Way too many variables.

The main strike issues are more pay for TV writers and a rescue of the WGA’s failing Health Plan, which faces projected deficits of $145 million over the next three years.

Everyone wants more pay and I have no fucking clue what they are making to begin with. As for the health plan, many collective health plans have had to make cuts and members paying more across all industries. I also don't know if the plan is being managed correctly or what the administration fees are on it.

I wish you well but to really have an informed opinion I would need way more information.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

iannis

Musty Nester
Ah well. Nothing but reality TV next season then.

I don't know the money splits and all that, that's the important thing. For successful shows, I fully 100% believe that the writers get BONED. They're just as important as the actors. And there's no fucking way that a writer is pulling down actor money in a successful television show.

For like 95% of shows, they're probably paid pretty fairly. But I really don't know. I mean whatever The Big Bang Theory guys get paid... they should probably be happy with it. That's kinda paint by numbers.

I don't hate BBT as much as the internet does. But a deep and complex dialogue that show is not. They're not writing so much as displaying a sensibility about humor. I would assume (and maybe it's a bad assumption) that they're top tier salary for television writers.

SHOW BIDNESS.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I wish you well but to really have an informed opinion I would need way more information.
Fair enough. I will say this, SOME writers are paid incredibly well. Some are not. It depends would be the best answer.

A staff writer for a basic network show (meaning they are employed by the Production company for at least 20 weeks), is paid a minimum of $3,703 a week. That is the bare minimum per the WGA. The problem is, that implies a certain amount of episodes. For cable, it might never hit that amount of episodes (many are only 15-12 episodes) so you have to negotiate a separate deal. $26,000 per 30 minute episode or around $40,000 for a sixty minute episode(again these are WGA minimums). And you might get one or maybe two episodes. After taxes, agent fees, contract lawyers etc, your take home could be less than $15,000 for 3 months of work depending on the show. Compare that to certain above the line producers, actors etc that clear $200,000.00 an episode with millions then going to the studio, that is where the umbrage is taking place.

Plus, you now have so much more content that it is easier to just hire an off the street writer for a single episode, pay them the bare minimum and they never find work again or maybe get one or two shows a year.

Of course, some writers do make more depending on both the success of their show.

• 1Like

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Disappointing, as I know this will fuck up my shows, and that's what is really important of course. But whatever, get some young man.

• 2Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Fair enough. I will say this, SOME writers and paid incredibly well. Some are not. It depends would be the best answer.

A staff writer for a basic network show (meaning they are employed by the Production company for at least 20 weeks), is paid a minimum of $3,703 a week. That is the bare minimum per the WGA. The problem is, that implies a certain amount of episodes. For cable, it might never hit that amount of episodes (many are only 15-12 episodes) so you have to negotiate a separate deal. $26,000 per 30 minute episode or around $40,000 for a sixty minute episode(again these are WGA minimums). And you might get one or maybe two episodes. After taxes, agent fees, contract lawyers etc, your take home could be less than $15,000 for 3 months of work depending on the show. Compare that to certain above the line producers, actors etc that clear $200,000.00 an episode with millions then going to the studio, that is where the umbrage is taking place.

Of course, some writers do make more depending on both the success of their show.

I guess I really don't have a problem with writers wanting more money for their craft. Especially since it sounds like very chaotic employment. Expecting the companies to bail out your health plan is bullshit. Do you know how much they contribute right now per month per employee or whatever it is? Most eveyone in Unions is paying more for their healthcare. That is the price you pay for being in a Union.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I mean whatever The Big Bang Theory guys get paid... they should probably be happy with it. That's kinda paint by numbers.
Staff writers on a show "like that" will make about $120,000 an episode. Story editors, EP's and supervising producers (who yes all count as writers) can clear upwards of $1.2million.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I guess I really don't have a problem with writers wanting more money for their craft. Especially since it sounds like very chaotic employment. Expecting the companies to bail out your health plan is bullshit. Do you know how much they contribute right now per month per employee or whatever it is? Most eveyone in Unions is paying more for their healthcare. That is the price you pay for being in a Union.
My healthcare plan is easily the largest chunk taken out of my pay. Just poof, gone. I don't mind that however because it is excellent. The problem is, the AMPTP calculates funding for the plan based on a percentage of all earnings from all members. That means that certain WGA members who don't make enough (due to the incredibly high amount of content being produced) cannot afford it.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Staff writers on a show "like that" will make about $120,000 an episode. Story editors, EP's and supervising producers (who yes all count as writers) can clear upwards of $1.2million.

I thought the prevailing narrative was that TV writers were the most underpaid and exploited of all TV production roles. I remember during the last strike the news claimed that TV writers were paid on par with teachers, and basically exploited fodder. If they get paid 120K an episode, then I retract my previous solidarity and they can all get fucked.

• 2Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
My healthcare plan is easily the largest chunk taken out of my pay. Just poof, gone. I don't mind that however because it is excellent. The problem is, the AMPTP calculates funding for the plan based on a percentage of all earnings from all members. That means that certain WGA members who don't make enough (due to the incredibly high amount of content being produced) cannot afford it.

After reading more about your health plan. Lower payed writers which I am going to assume is the majority of your Union have a healthplan that is way above what they would have in any other industry. They are bleeding it dry and aren't willing to contribute more for that level of coverage and either is the employeers. They need a reality check.

The reality of this is the lower tier writers will hurt from all of this while people like yourself will experience a bump in the road and will have no problem getting employment in the future.

Do you think the lower tier writers are grossly underpaid? I know Hollywood doesn't ahve the best track record on paying it's employees fairly.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Fight the good fight.

Just be careful not to get scabbed out of a job. But there's not really anything you can do about that. That's union bosses.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
I thought the prevailing narrative was that TV writers were the most underpaid and exploited of all TV production roles. I remember during the last strike the news claimed that TV writers were paid on par with teachers, and basically exploited fodder. If they get paid 120K an episode, then I retract my previous solidarity and they can all get fucked.
That is the narrative for MOST writers. The people making $120,000 an episode are fully employed writers on huge shows like GoT, Big Bang Theory etc and they get multiple episodes. Then you have your basic staff writer who get's paid $38,000 for a single 60 minutes, and takes home about $15,000 after all his dues and taxes and fees are in and would be LUCKY to get more than one gig a year.

Compare that with the million dollar an episode actors, the $9,000 a week Assistant Directors, and the multiple millions the showrunners and studio are getting for our work, and you start to see the issue.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester

Nah, he was saying that's upper crust shit. BBT is like #1 show forever. Those dudes are the 1% of the 1%.

Soft Kitty
Warm Kitty
Little Ball of Fur.

• 2Like

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
The short seasons is a major problem. We went from 24 episodes per season to what 10/12 episodes, so been paid by the episode meant a straight 50% reduction on income.

As a consumer, it sucked to have your shown canceled, some forever. But you gotta do what you gotta do.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Even without having all the information I would probably side with you. Hollywood has a track record of bullshit from accounting to just flat out abusing talent. You raise the pay level of the bottom tier writers and the health plan would most likely take care of itself. You also never know if the union isn't fucking you also with administrative costs.

• 1Like

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Also it is possible to get contracts with networks or just shows? As was mentioned many shows are 10 to 13 episodes now instead of 24 which has reduced the pay. Sounds like you need to work on two different shows to make it work now.

• 1Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Also it is possible to get contracts with networks or just shows? As was mentioned many shows are 10 to 13 episodes now instead of 24 which has reduced the pay. Sounds like you need to work on two different shows to make it work now.
Oh yes. I personally have two different network contracts at the moment (granted only for specific shows but the contract is with the networks). I'm one of those people who makes really good money, but I have to work on multiple shows in multiple capacities (staff writer, story-editor, co-producer). Also, I got lucky. Really lucky.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Going from 22-24 episodes a season to 10-13 resulted in a vast improvement in quality, in general, in my opinion. Just thinking of early seasons of something like 24 or Prison Break and there's so much filler and obvious shenanigans just to get up that episode count. I think payment should not necessarily be 50% less (given the improved quality) but I don't think we really need to go back to 20+ episode seasons in general, especially for dramas.

• 1Like